Top Wrapping discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Wrapping discussion

I like to start a thread on top wrapping. In fact I have a question. But more generally let's discuss Top Wrapping. Who likes it ?

I use it on the Gibson and I like the way it resonates especially unplugged (often play unplugged electrics as I also play in the night when my daughters and wife are asleep)

But one specific guitar : the Vantage X-88 the top wrapping in impossible as the stop bar cannot be set low enough.
    Should I change the studs inside the wood ? or file the saddles ?
    Most probably I should give top wrapping on that guitar. I tried with two strings. It sound nicer but when you bend the string it jump out !
    Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Re: Top Wrapping discussion

Top wrapping is pointless. Setting the stop bar higher accomplishes the same thing.

Set it to a height where the strings feel looser like you seem to like but not so high that they pop out when you bend.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Francois - Top wrapping is a subject almost as inflammatory as religion or politics!

I for one, am most definitely against it!!!
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I've never done it, and never seen the need.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I top wrap on LP's

The way God and Les Paul Jr intended it to be
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

On mine I use a TP6 tailpiece on most TOM bridges

I just raise the stop bar

As NE said above
            It accomplishes the same effect

I too like the slinky feel of the strings
            And it does make a difference
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Raising the tailpiece does similiar things and probably for the most part things would be on par. Top wrapping does give you some extra string length the raising does not. Also depending on the stability of the raised bar you could loose some sustain to vibration.
              My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I tried top wrapped my Epi Dot for four or five years . . . mostly because I saw someone in a guitar mag doing the same with his Les Paul. Eventually I stopped as there was no difference in tone, tuning stability or anything else, but it was starting to wear grooves in my tailpiece.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

A friend of mine has a BC Rich Warlock that comes standard with a top wrap bridge. It seems to work just fine. Kind of a pain to change the strings on, but not prohibitively so.

Comment

I like it on guitars with a steep enough neck angle to top wrap

Otherwise, I'll just very slightly raise the tailpiece because a taut tailpiece with tight string break angles makes you stay in tune better IME

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
                    Originally posted by Myaccount876
                    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

I don't have any guitars that have a stop tailpiece. All of mine are string through body.

Comment

Don't top wrap stock Epi tailpieces, the metal is too soft and it will easily breakdown
                        My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

When I did it, the strings felt looser and bends and articulation were notably easier. I seem to recall it sacrificed a little bit of sustain, however.

Comment

I can't do it on either of my TOM guitars because it raises the strings too high but for some reason I think it looks really cool and I would do it if I could.

Comment

Its a way neater look for severe neck angled guitars to topwrap if you have issues with break angle. Having the studs backed way out on the threads just looks to me like the guitar was only half finished.
                              Of course there are plenty of feel benefits of a shallow break angle where there is 'reactive string length' behind a fulcrum. Improved tuning stability being another benefit.

Its one of those interesting subjects like relicing - where you get plenty of pointlessly agro opinions........universally by those who are incredibly insecure and feel the need to bolster the supposed validity of their view on the matter.

But its easy to try it out on a guitar or two......and figure out how you feel on the matter. Lets face it, that the only valid opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X