Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guitar wiring: Shielded or not?

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I learned something, too! I'd like to know more about the twisted wires, and if that is a thing that actually works.
    I’ve seen it typically in amplifiers. Sure it makes a cleaner layout but there’s also a power supply in there with big transformers nearby and hundreds of volts passing through, so my understanding is it’s an attempt to reduce any hum or noise interference. Don’t know how much it helps passive guitar with only fractions of volts generated. I’ve done it in my strats and they are quieter, but I also shielded the heck out of everything which probably did much much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I learned something, too! I'd like to know more about the twisted wires, and if that is a thing that actually works.
      It does actually work and is used in many other industries/applications. As GuitarDoc and beaubrummels noted benefits are likely arguable when using it in guitar control cavities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair
      Last edited by JamesPaul; 02-05-2020, 01:55 AM. Reason: Noting both GuitarDoc and beaubrummels
      I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

As long as it doesn't *hurt* to do it. It *might* help when combating noise (if that is an issue).
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Twisting the wires gives you better toanz.

Comment

Twisting the wires aggravates arthritis in your fingers. It may give you better toanz, but it won't affect your tone at all. Period!
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I use shielded cable when I can't shield the cavity. Like on a 335. Otherwise, I just shield the whole cavity and use regular insulated cable. Works for me - my guitars aren't noisy.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

BTW: QP's come with twisted wires as a stock, probably other PVC.wired SD singles too!
                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Working...
                X