Five-Way Super Switch with Push/Pull Volume Pot for Two Humbuckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five-Way Super Switch with Push/Pull Volume Pot for Two Humbuckers

Is it possible to wire up a five-way super switch with a push/pull volume pot to get 10 different combinations of Humbucker/Coil Split combinations, or at least 8 like it's listed in this diagram.

I want something slightly different than what's in this diagram otherwise, I'd use that.

Re: Five-Way Super Switch with Push/Pull Volume Pot for Two Humbuckers

Originally posted by toddincharlotte View Post
    Is it possible to wire up a five-way super switch with a push/pull volume pot to get 10 different combinations of Humbucker/Coil Split combinations, or at least 8 like it's listed in this diagram.

I want something slightly different than what's in this diagram otherwise, I'd use that.
    What's the difference between what you want and the diagram? I would think as long as you have the super switch it should be doable.
    Guitar Chalk's main EDU page: https://www.guitarchalk.com/online-guitar-lessons/

Commonwealth of Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by a0adio0 View Post
      What's the difference between what you want and the diagram? I would think as long as you have the super switch it should be doable.
      Push Pot
      1: Bridge Humbucker
      2: Bridge Humbucker / Single Coil Neck
      3: Bridge/Neck Humbucker
      4: Bridge Single Coil/Neck Humbucker
      5: Neck Humbucker
      Pull Pot
      1: Bridge Single Coil
      2: Bridge/Neck [Inner coils]
      3:
      4: Bridge/Neck [Outer coils]
      5: Neck Single Coil

Comment

I'm actually amazed at how simple that diagram is. Yeah you'd be able to do this diagram but remember to watch out with the black and white wires switching. Be sure you get the right kind of super 5 way switch as some go 0-12345-12345-0 and others are opposite for the positions. 0-54321-54321-0. Both are doable for this diagram.

Now I do remember that PRS set had some sort of hum cancellation in the center with coilsplits. This is when the pick measures can swoop in and tell me as I haven't played PRS guitars with that model of pickups in it. That is my only concern converting to a seymour duncan diagram as the person who drew it out left bits and pieces out. I was like what the heck is this with the switch going 1-4 on one end and only two commons

On one hand it's not 10 radically different sounds.. on the other this is an easy to install wiring.

Here is so far. Just need assurance how the bridge pickup goes in. But some arm chair hero I suppose can swoop in and jazz this up in microsoft paint. You can add the treble bleed too but if you haven't got the 500k push pull yet I'd seriously just go B500k. That's my own 2 cents though.

I hooked up the resistor in a way that there is less risk the resistor will break as I hated how it was "dangling". That sounds wrong but on short notice it had to be done to the 1.1k (1k1) resistor. I'd say go carbon 1/4w if you've got to source the resistors from Tayda2009 if we can even get stuff from Thailand right now because of what's going on with the corona virus.
        Last edited by shadowfire90; 02-06-2020, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shadowfire90 View Post
          I'm actually amazed at how simple that diagram is. Yeah you'd be able to do this diagram but remember to watch out with the black and white wires switching. Be sure you get the right kind of super 5 way switch as some go 0-12345-12345-0 and others are opposite for the positions. 0-54321-54321-0. Both are doable for this diagram.

Now I do remember that PRS set had some sort of hum cancellation in the center with coilsplits. This is when the pick measures can swoop in and tell me as I haven't played PRS guitars with that model of pickups in it. That is my only concern converting to a seymour duncan diagram as the person who drew it out left bits and pieces out. I was like what the heck is this with the switch going 1-4 on one end and only two commons

On one hand it's not 10 radically different sounds.. on the other this is an easy to install wiring.

Here is so far. Just need assurance how the bridge pickup goes in. But some arm chair hero I suppose can swoop in and jazz this up in microsoft paint. You can add the treble bleed too but if you haven't got the 500k push pull yet I'd seriously just go B500k. That's my own 2 cents though.

I hooked up the resistor in a way that there is less risk the resistor will break as I hated how it was "dangling". That sounds wrong but on short notice it had to be done to the 1.1k (1k1) resistor. I'd say go carbon 1/4w if you've got to source the resistors from Tayda2009 if we can even get stuff from Thailand right now because of what's going on with the corona virus.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103180[/ATTACH]
          Yeah, I'm using a Charvel San Dimas harness so it's got the lock out volume push/pull pot. Just replacing the 3 way switch with a 5 way super to get the varied pickup combos mentioned above. I've sourced the resistors from Amazon and should have them by tomorrow. Just so I'm clear, your diagram makes the tones specified in my post? Or the original PRS post?

Comment

Here's what a guy provided on the PRS forum.

This is going in a strandberg* btw.

Comment

I realized the switch PRS uses in that diagram is intentionally like that. I thought it was just someone simplifying a super 5 way switch. I'm not a PRS person. I took the old diagram down for now. This wiring is still doable. In fact I'm glad the shoe isn't on the other foot where I got to figure out that weird PRS switch with the 18 contacts.

I just need reassurance of the 85/15 as I remember vaguely someone told me that they do something different in the center. Hum cancelling coilsplits without any extra effort I think? Once I know that I can do your proper diagram so hopefully we get some responses.
              Last edited by shadowfire90; 02-06-2020, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X