banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can my EPH-3 delay be modded for a volume control??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my EPH-3 delay be modded for a volume control??

I have a Hermida (Lovepedal) EPH-3 delay and it is a really nice delay pedal. It has an FET preamp as part of its circuit (I assume this is true, since the Lovepedal website says "FET Preamp!").
    Hypothetically, would it be possible to modify this thing to give it a volume knob? If so, could it BOOST the signal, or only cut it? Right now it has no effect on the volume at all one way or another but if it could boost then I could use it for more than just dreamy echoes when I want to play clean.

I Googled all over and cannot find a schematic of this pedal or a photo of the circuit. It's the kind of pedal where the pcb is at the bottom facing up, so I'd have to disassemble the pedal completely to even look inside, which is why this is just in the "is it possible...?" phase. If it IS possible to turn this thing into a signal booster then I will take mine apart so we can see what's actually in there. I'm open to modifying it myself if it's easy and obvious, and I'm open to having someone else do it if it's difficult or complicated.
    Last edited by Dave Locher; 02-05-2020, 09:45 PM.

Re: Can my EPH-3 delay be modded for a volume control??

If you want it to be able to boost the delay signal, then it's going to need active circuitry, passive components (like a pot) can only cut signal, not add. Probably better off looking into a TC Flashback or something with at least a mix control.

Comment

I thought the presence of an FET preamp might mean it could be modded to work like a Tech21 "Boost DLA" delay I used to own. (It had a volume control along with the typical delay controls, with up to 6db boost). I was imagining there might be some component that keeps the volume at unity that could be replaced with a trim pot or something... [With absolutely zero knowledge of how the preamp in a delay pedal might work!]

But if it's not practical I'll just enjoy it for what it is and drop the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
        I thought the presence of an FET preamp might mean it could be modded to work like a Tech21 "Boost DLA" delay I used to own. (It had a volume control along with the typical delay controls, with up to 6db boost). I was imagining there might be some component that keeps the volume at unity that could be replaced with a trim pot or something... [With absolutely zero knowledge of how the preamp in a delay pedal might work!]

But if it's not practical I'll just enjoy it for what it is and drop the idea.
        Good point, I was mostly thinking just adjusting the output of the delay line (that's what I get for 1/2 way reading at work, sorry). I'd really have to see a schematic to know.

Comment

Didn't you get a Secret Preamp stomp recently? (one of the EP-3 preamp clones out there)

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
            Didn't you get a Secret Preamp stomp recently? (one of the EP-3 preamp clones out there)
            No, I started a thread asking about it & some other poster bought one. They haven't reported back yet. I already have this delay & got to thinking.

Devastone, would a gut shot help? I will take it apart to photo it tomorrow if I get a chance. I Googled around for a schematic and came up totally empty handed.

Comment

Honestly, hard to say, without being able to trace it out not sure. Have you tried contacting lovepedal directly? They might be able to mod it for you if it is mod-able.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                Honestly, hard to say, without being able to trace it out not sure. Have you tried contacting lovepedal directly? They might be able to mod it for you if it is mod-able.
                Good idea! I will start with them.

Comment

Emailed Lovepedal. Heard back within hours. Their answer: No, sorry.

Thanks for playing along everyone.

Comment

Working...
                  X