NGD: it's a... Nice day for a... White SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: it's a... Nice day for a... White SG

Pics to come later but I got this 2020 Epiphone SG today in Alpine White!
    No sharp frets and no dead spots found so far, only needed a little pickup height adjustment, pretty nice~

Does not have as much raw mid-range bark as I remember my last Gibson sg special having, but it's warm and balanced sounding.
    No neck dive.
    Love my single coils but instantly I kicked on some gain and found what I was missing with just single coils. Much smoother, more powerful, and less noise. Short scale length makes my fingers feel like there flying!

This one advertised a 60s slim taper neck and it does not feel fat or wide, but does feel really flat coming from traditional type fenders

Love how it looks. Will take pics and stuff later after I play it some more but for now I don't think it's going back

Oh and zzounds is where I got it and after I paid I found the same guitar cheaper on guitar center, but one quick email and zzounds refunded me the difference of $50 within about an hour. And free two day shipping and it was packed well, double boxed.

Re: NGD: it's a... Nice day for a... White SG

Congrats! I can't wait to see pics. I am curious about the 'no neck dive' as every SG seems to have that. I wonder if they did anything special.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Congrats! I can't wait to see pics. I am curious about the 'no neck dive' as every SG seems to have that. I wonder if they did anything special.
      Yeah.. that sounds pretty nice. mine is half maple and it still neck dives. Lighter tuners perhaps ?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

They are the tulip style keys and yes that probably helps
        I'll try it with a non suede textured strap and see if I can get it to dive
        Can you imagine this review:
        "SG did not exhibit classic SG neck dive, one star"

Edit: that was it, the suede backed strap! Nylon Ernie ball strap and it stays put, unless I move at all, then it evens out or drops the neck. She's a SG through and through as far as I'm concerned now lol
        Last edited by FuseG4; 02-04-2020, 03:48 PM.

Comment

preliminary pics!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20200204_143126_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	5818153

Name:	20200204_143016_resized.jpg
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	5818154

Name:	20200204_143138_resized.jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	5818155

Name:	20200204_143151_resized.jpg
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	5818156

Comment

Dude that thing is gorgeous !! It looks much much better than the old epiphone SG's !

Wow they really did a good job with the upgrade.. particularly the fretboard, inlays, binding.. Looks real good man. I'm glad you love it.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

pickups slightly on the sterile side, they lack a little zing and clarity that I'm used to from Duncans, but they are thoroughly unoffensive! In fact the neck pickup reminds me of the 59n with a4 magnet, like a regular 59 but little less bass and tippy top trebles, but not smooth like a2!
              Quite pleasing all around. Such a different guitar to play than my others.

Comment

Congrats!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                  pickups slightly on the sterile side, they lack a little zing and clarity that I'm used to from Duncans, but they are thoroughly unoffensive! In fact the neck pickup reminds me of the 59n with a4 magnet, like a regular 59 but little less bass and tippy top trebles, but not smooth like a2!
                  Quite pleasing all around. Such a different guitar to play than my others.
                  Put an A2 in it

Those are the Alnico Classic Pro pickups right?

You can get a set of Probucker pickups from Aliexpress for about 40 bucks
                  For the set
                  Then just plug em I

Or go name brand

Sweet axe
                  Love the white

Where is the strap button located
                  If it's on the heel, it may help to move to the upper bout
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Strap button on the heel yep
                    But it feels good with the suede backed strap so it's prolly fine

The pickups I gotta see how hot a bridge pickup I feel like, they are the alnico classic pro yes. Coming from playing... I think my tele lead pickup is 6.6k? Every humbucker feels smoking hot in comparison lol

Comment

Best looking Epi SG I've ever seen!
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thank you much!
                        Best one I've personally held, the only better ones I've seen are vintage Gibby's that are just way out my range

Was switching between SG and tele back and forth last night and they are a good compliment,
                        I gotta get something setup to record again, I blew up my attenuator with line out which I had been using before

But yeah, they got the details right on this Epiphone I think
                        It looks the part. And the headstock is a mile ahead of the old one.
                        And now they even call them SG instead of G400.

Thanks Gibson and epi for not penalizing the less well to do folk by clipping our ears and giving us new names and pickups of 50% wax

Comment

gutsClick image for larger version

Name:	20200205_080313_resized.jpg
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	5818168

they really did do my job for me except not sure if 50's mod yet or no
                          Last edited by FuseG4; 02-05-2020, 09:45 AM.

Comment

That's sweet. I really like the new headstock shape. White SG's are so cool.

Comment

Great looking guitar. Headstock isn't offensive, either! Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X