NPC: RC booster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPC: RC booster

Got this v1 for about €100 used. Slapped on the gold knobs and button cover I bought for my now deceased Spark (RIP). Yeah, it looked better on the Spark than on the RC but at least this offsets the "BYOC" aesthetic of the original design somewhat [emoji16]

Can't wait to try it out in my main rig tonight.

--------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Re: NPC: RC booster

I've heard good things about this pedal/ What makes it better than most other boosters?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I've heard good things about this pedal/ What makes it better than most other boosters?
      Let me try it out and I'll get back to you [emoji6]

But my reason for getting it was that it has the same active EQ and separate volume/gain as my Spark had, but without the ****ty footswitch. Didn't want to buy a new pedal just to have it crap out on me a few years down the line.
      1973 Aria 551
      1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

Man, love RC Boosters and your's looks like a So Cal Vato buying accessories from the JC Whitney Catalog
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
          Man, love RC Boosters and your's looks like a So Cal Vato buying accessories from the JC Whitney Catalog
          Being a man somewhat versed in the proverbial west coast vernacular, I'm quite aware of what a So Cal Vato is, but pray tell good sire, what is a JC Whitney?
          1973 Aria 551
          1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

J.C. Whitney, catalog of car parts you can order from.
            1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
            Jackson Soloist 7 string
            ESP LTD M-400
            Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
              Being a man somewhat versed in the proverbial west coast vernacular, I'm quite aware of what a So Cal Vato is, but pray tell good sire, what is a JC Whitney?
              JC Whitney is this amazing catalog that Vatos, and people of all cultural distinctions use to customize their cars with aftermarket stuff.

It's worth checking out, if nothing more than giggles and interest.

I dig your pedal customization BTW, that wasn't meant as an insult but more for laughs for anyone remembering when everyone customized motorcycles and cars with JC Whitney.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

JC Whitney is this amazing catalog that Vatos, and people of all cultural distinctions use to customize their cars with aftermarket stuff.

It's worth checking out, if nothing more than giggles and interest.

I dig your pedal customization BTW, that wasn't meant as an insult but more for laughs for anyone remembering when everyone customized motorcycles and cars with JC Whitney.
                No offense taken. [emoji106]
                1973 Aria 551
                1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

I accidentally bought a clone of one a few months ago, so I guess I can answer that: it can be set absolutely 100% transparent (literally can't hear the difference between on and off) and from that point you can add or subtract bass, treble, or volume and add grit. It is a great "more (or less)" pedal.

Comment

So does the gain knob actually add distortion? I thought the RC stands for 'really clean', or do I have that wrong?
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

. . . but more for laughs for anyone remembering when everyone customized motorcycles and cars with JC Whitney.
                      I remember them more for there selection of 300WRMS car stereo amps that were almost as big as a pack of smokes.

So does the gain knob actually add distortion? I thought the RC stands for 'really clean', or do I have that wrong?
                      I wonder if the RC Boost is the same as the SL Drive, but with bass & treble controls. I have the SL Drive, and even with the voltage doubler, it remains clean even with the "Drive" knob dimed. A really nice clean, btw.

Comment

You are correct. RC = Really Clean.

I read on another forum that a clean boost with a gain control should by all accounts be considered an OD and yeah, I can sort of see where he was coming from (the guy based this on actually looking at the circuit as well, FWIW).

To answer your question: it supposedly adds a bit of grit. I say supposedly because I don't really hear it. Sounds more like an additional volume knob to me. In that regard, the Spark seemed to deliver on what it promised better.

Still works great and is transparent with the gain down. And as opposed to ODs can be used in the FX loop without making your tone all wonky.
                        1973 Aria 551
                        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                          I remember them more for there selection of 300WRMS car stereo amps that were almost as big as a pack of smokes.

I wonder if the RC Boost is the same as the SL Drive, but with bass & treble controls. I have the SL Drive, and even with the voltage doubler, it remains clean even with the "Drive" knob dimed. A really nice clean, btw.
                          SL Drive has the Marshall Tone stack built in, to give that EQ shape. It’s still just op amp and clipping diodes, which disappointed me when I tried it. The JFET based Marshall style pedals are 10x better.

The RC and AC are very similar, the threshold of clipping on the RC is just higher than the AC. If you push enough signal into it, it’ll clip.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                            SL Drive has the Marshall Tone stack built in, to give that EQ shape. It’s still just op amp and clipping diodes, which disappointed me when I tried it.
                            Wow! Are we talking about the same pedal? With Tone and Drive dimed, mine remains clean. I wonder if it's because I keep the volume of the amp below "call-the-cops" level?

P.S. Are you the forum bro I bought this from? If so, it's definitely the same pedal.

Comment

the sl drive should have some dirt to it. how do you have the internal switches set?

Comment

Working...
                              X