Orange OR15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange OR15

As some of you may already know, I'm a huge tube amp fanatic and I have a love for small lunchbox amps. I have a bunch of the low-wattage Orange amps and I really dig them. They absolutely have their own 'signature' Orange sound but if you're into that you'll love those amps. I've had the OR15 for quite a while so it was time for an in-depth demo and review.

The main aesthetic difference between the other smaller Orange amps is the fact that it has that classic orange headshell. It has such a familiar look, that's why this one is my favorite in terms of design. It just looks like the bigger amps but just smaller. The control layout is very simple as with most other Orange amps. What I like about that is that the tonal variences come from things like the amount of gain, the cab, how you play it, the guitar you use etc. more so than your regular bass, mid and treble controls. The EQ on these amps is quite subtle so you have to be creative in other ways to get more from this amp. That is, if you need anything more because the pure tone of this amp is pretty great if you're into that sort of tone.

It's only 15 watts so it may not be loud enough for everybody who would want to use it on stage. It's still pretty loud though. More than loud enough for in my studio and it sounds really good through my Orange PPC212. If you have Orange amps but not an Orange cab, I would highly recommend trying your Orange through one of those cabs because it sounds HUGE!

The variable wattage settings are cool but I always have mine set to the maximum power setting. I'd rather not comprimise the tone of this amp and the master volume control is sensitive enough anyway.

Ok so, for the demo I used 12 different guitars. I also put some 7 and 8-string bits in there but most of it is 6-string. I used a tube-screamer in some segments to see what that would do and it did turn out great sounding imho! So without further ado, here is the demo:

Who else loves their Oranges?
    Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Re: Orange OR15

Those things are great. I kind of want one but with four Matamps and a 73 Orange Hustler and a Rocker 30 it's kind of redundant...
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Sounds great in your demo! I think it's missing a bit of sizzle and aggression for the heavier stuff, but it does the rock-y stuff pretty great.

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
        Those things are great. I kind of want one but with four Matamps and a 73 Orange Hustler and a Rocker 30 it's kind of redundant...
        Yeah! Love it! Very cool that you have a rocker 30! Those things are very appealing to me. 'low' wattage but with a big head shell.

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
        Sounds great in your demo! I think it's missing a bit of sizzle and aggression for the heavier stuff, but it does the rock-y stuff pretty great.
        I know what you mean. You can't really dial that in with the main amp controls. I guess you could put something like an EQ or depthfinder in the loop to tweak the overall EQ curve. Still sounded pretty great though!

OwnHammer.com

Comment

I miss the one I had
          It was like Zeppelin to black Sabbath all day
          But not a tight modern sound for sure. Could use a little more bass response but not bad at all given what it is

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarjon View Post
            I know what you mean. You can't really dial that in with the main amp controls. I guess you could put something like an EQ or depthfinder in the loop to tweak the overall EQ curve. Still sounded pretty great though!
            I understand. I used to play with a friend who has a Rockerverb, and the tone stack did not make radical changes as you turned the knobs either. The OR15 is based around the Rockerverb preamp, isn't it? The core tone is pretty cool, though, so it's hard to complain, really.

BTW, a bit OT, but I'd love to hear your opinion on how the EVH LBX compares to the 6505MH. I've already got an LBX, but I used to have the LBX II, and I kinda miss it. The 6505 is sort of along those lines as well, and it's cheaper, so I'm tempted to pick one up instead of another LBX II.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
              I understand. I used to play with a friend who has a Rockerverb, and the tone stack did not make radical changes as you turned the knobs either. The OR15 is based around the Rockerverb preamp, isn't it? The core tone is pretty cool, though, so it's hard to complain, really.

BTW, a bit OT, but I'd love to hear your opinion on how the EVH LBX compares to the 6505MH. I've already got an LBX, but I used to have the LBX II, and I kinda miss it. The 6505 is sort of along those lines as well, and it's cheaper, so I'm tempted to pick one up instead of another LBX II.
              Yup, both the OR15 and Jim Root are based off the RV although I'm sure they made some minor changes here and there since those 2 amps don't sound exactly the same.

The LBX is very tight and aggressive while the 6505MH has a broader and warmer sound with more low mids. I don't think they sound alike at all. Both are cool but I prefer how the 6505MH sounds in a full mix. It can also do cleans and the LBX 1 can't do cleans at all.

OwnHammer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarjon View Post
                Yeah! Love it! Very cool that you have a rocker 30! Those things are very appealing to me. 'low' wattage but with a big head shell.
                Yeahh I had AD30 for a while too for the same reason. Ended up with the Rocker because it runs EL34s and the two channels are drastically different. The AD30 runs EL84s and sounds more like a hot-rodded Vox to me. I still need to hear an AD140...
                green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

LOVE Orange amps! I have a couple Marshall heads, a Crate Blue Voodoo (which sounds great as long as I run my BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer in the effects loop),
                  a Flextone III, two 4x12 cabs with different speakers, a 2x12 with Celestion Heritage, a couple other combos, and an Orange Crush 12. Yeah I know..........
                  But the Crush 12 is great being I'm living in my 24ft Airstream. And it sounds pretty damn good running the headphone out into my DAW for recording. And a TS9 works GREAT with it! But I'm really thinking about getting a new Rocker 15 head. Anyone hear ever had one?
                  GIBSON, MARSHALL, EPIPHONE, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.....A LOT OF SH*T!
                  Check our band VENOMOUS MERCY on FB!

Comment

Guitarjon
                    I watched your video, great sound! What are the other Orange heads I see on the shelve over your right shoulder?
                    The more I listen to Orange amps, the more I know THAT is the sound I've been looking for.
                    I have a little Orange Crush 12 for practice, and a little recording, and it has that sound, not with like the bigger tube amps, but the Orange tonality is there.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead63 View Post
                      Guitarjon
                      I watched your video, great sound! What are the other Orange heads I see on the shelve over your right shoulder?
                      The more I listen to Orange amps, the more I know THAT is the sound I've been looking for.
                      I have a little Orange Crush 12 for practice, and a little recording, and it has that sound, not with like the bigger tube amps, but the Orange tonality is there.
                      I have a dual and tinny terror as well as a Jim Root, Brent Hinds and Rocker 15 Terror. I've made an in-depth demo of the Rocker 15 that I'm going to release next week but I figure it can't hurt to share it here with you:

OwnHammer.com

Comment

Thanks for the great reviews! I know a lot better now which way I'm leaning.

Comment

Cool!

All the cabs in the OP is via Ownhammer IR? If so, are you using a resistive or reactive load?

Curious...

B
                          FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
                            Cool!

All the cabs in the OP is via Ownhammer IR? If so, are you using a resistive or reactive load?

Curious...

B
                            That is correct! I used my Fractal reactive load.

OwnHammer.com

Comment

Nice!

B
                              FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Working...
                              X