iRig 2/Amplitube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iRig 2/Amplitube

So my beloved Kustom 15RG died .... and I decided to join the 21st century, and have my practice amp on my phone ...

Well .... can not say I am impressed. Cant dial a decent sound for the life of it. So, I downloaded/bought Soldano SLO 100 "amp" ... very little improvement, angry bees mostly ... And today for some reason my delay in the FX is on but its just not there. Any advice? any happy users here ?

Danke.
    Active Duty Rig:
    MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
    Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Re: iRig 2/Amplitube

I use this at home. What you have to do is watch the input level coming in to the software. Out of the box it's a pretty hot incoming signal. Dial that back so it's barely hitting the yellow. It'll clean up right away. The Soldano model is good. I like the Hendrix pack a lot. I use the plexi with slight breakup and then use an outboard overdrive (Boss OD-3) to push it harder. It works well. For effects like delay, reverb, put those in the loop. There's only 2 slots though. I also use a noise gate but dialed back so it's not so quick to close. It takes some tweaking so don't get discouraged. Save your setting to a user preset when you get one dialed in.

Comment

Thanks ErikH, i will play with input more, although wouldn't that barely push "my Soldano"? what is your in/out setting number wise? Thanks! And what how hot do you set your iRig itself? the little wheel i mean ...
      Active Duty Rig:

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
        Thanks ErikH, i will play with input more, although wouldn't that barely push "my Soldano"? what is your in/out setting number wise? Thanks! And what how hot do you set your iRig itself? the little wheel i mean ...
        I'll look at that tonight and post here. I have it all set up on another phone with no service in an iKlip on a mic stand. A perfect practice setup.

There's pushing the amp and then there is overdriving the input of the device too much. I found this out after a while myself. Everything seemed too hot with no definition or difference. That's when I noticed the input to the software was clipping hard so there was an already clipped signal hitting the amp model. I was using the first iRig device. Have since upgraded to iRig 2 though. That made a huge difference. Now I can dial up the gain on the amp and it sounds right. It certainly helped with the noise floor too.
        Last edited by ErikH; 02-06-2020, 12:30 PM.

Comment

How ever I tried iPhone/Amplitube with all kind of interface (iRig, iRig2, iRigHD, etc) I was unimpressed. It was usable as a practice headphone setup but nothing more, and far from the fun I have with my Eleven Rack.
          I got a Zoom G1 Four for Christmas and it's night and day (you need to enable the mic in the cab block). Same price (or even cheaper) than a decent interface and aux-in to plug your iPhone/PC/Mac/Tablet for background music. Got also usable results direct to powered PA speaker.

Comment

IRig is mostly a toy isn't it?
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Surely someone will come out with the iWank®...

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                Surely someone will come out with the iWank®...
                stick you wanker in the hole, connect to phone, open the wank off app, and maybe add in some plug ins to really dial in that session.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                  IRig is mostly a toy isn't it?
                  Aren't they all toys in the grand scheme? Knowing how to set it up really makes a difference. When I first started using it, it wasn't the greatest but it was what I was looking for. With upgrades and new models, they've gotten better. I'd use it at a gig if I had to, honestly

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
                    My iRig 2 device level is set rather low. Turn it all the way down and then roll it up one time from off until your finger stops at the other end. Simple, not too high. In the software, I have the input set to 0.30 for my setup. This barely puts it in the yellow and with heavy hitting will hit yellow and even red for blink. That's OK. Set output to taste. Latency is low, no feedback is on, oversampling is on.

The amp I've been using is the JH Gold from the Hendrix pack in to a 4x12A cab and the Cond 87 mic. One of these days I want to get the dual mic package.

With the Soldano amp, try the MM1 or T1 cab.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                      Aren't they all toys in the grand scheme? Knowing how to set it up really makes a difference. When I first started using it, it wasn't the greatest but it was what I was looking for. With upgrades and new models, they've gotten better. I'd use it at a gig if I had to, honestly
                      Yeah, true -I just know that they are cheap cool little tools for easy playing -they're not going to win any tone contest, -they are cool and fun though.

Comment

I always ran my iRig 2 with the input level really low too. Recently bought the iRig HD and find that it's much better and I can dial in better tones in Amplitube.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                          stick you wanker in the hole, connect to phone, open the wank off app, and maybe add in some plug ins to really dial in that session.
                          Precisely.

Comment

What head phones would you recommend for this type a thing, my JVS HA-EBR80s are not exactly enjoyable ..... Thanks.
                            Active Duty Rig:

BadHoarsie Original ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

I'm using JVC HA-RX700 headphones, and it all sounds good to me!

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Working...
                              X