Snake Oil Fine Instruments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake Oil Fine Instruments?

The Anderton's guys, for obvious reasons, push these pretty hard on top of whatever else they're testing:

They certainly look the part, and I can't fault the tones Cap & Chap are getting. Does anyone have more hands-on experience with these? $170 sounds steep for gain, but a quick check on Google Shopping says that's actually low-end boutique these days (what do I know, last pedal I bought was in the Digitech Hardwire series, new).

Re: Snake Oil Fine Instruments?

Originally posted by Liko View Post
    The Anderton's guys, for obvious reasons, push these pretty hard on top of whatever else they're testing:

They certainly look the part, and I can't fault the tones Cap & Chap are getting. Does anyone have more hands-on experience with these? $170 sounds steep for gain, but a quick check on Google Shopping says that's actually low-end boutique these days (what do I know, last pedal I bought was in the Digitech Hardwire series, new).
    I use these multiple times a week and they’re honestly nothing special, there’s a bunch of great pedals for less money.
    TC Spark, Tube Screamer Mini, RAT, EHX Soul Food, Blues Driver, Fender Pugilist, Earthquaker Plumes and Seymour Duncan 805.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guitars:
    Daemoness Atlantean (unknown Bareknuckles) D
    PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega set) Drop C
    ESP LTD EC-1000 FR (EMG Het Set) D
    Jackson USA WR1 Absinthe Frost (EMG 81/85) D
    Ibanez MMM1 (Blackouts) Drop A
    Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge) Drop C
    Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups) Drop D
    Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set) D
    Aristides 060 (Bareknuckle Aristides Customs) D

Comment

Originally posted by grumptruck
      20 more dollars and you are in Pedal geek territory: https://www.jhspedals.info/paul-gilbert-pg14
      Yes the PG-14 is Cool but a little different from what he was looking at.

Guitars:

Comment

i like that pg14, might have to go check one out. thanks ya jerks

Comment

Who actually designs and makes these? With Wampler, Keeley, Analogman, Earthquaker, JHS, etc. you are paying for Brian, Robert, Mike, Jamie and Josh’s ears and circuit tweaks. A pretty case without the pedigree is... ?
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            Who actually designs and makes these? With Wampler, Keeley, Analogman, Earthquaker, JHS, etc. you are paying for Brian, Robert, Mike, Jamie and Josh’s ears and circuit tweaks. A pretty case without the pedigree is... ?
            As far as I’m aware is variants on Mythos pedals designs with certain tweaks and different manufacturers since Rob is a big fan of their designs.
            Might as well just get a Mythos Pedal instead though if you ask me.

Guitars:

Comment

Worst name ever...
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Yeah the name makes me think of getting ripped-off,,,,,,,,not a good first impression to purposely project on potential customers lol!

Comment

I agree. Terrible name. I opened this thread expecting to hear a story about problems with a particular pedal or company.

Comment

meh... snake oil strings were some of the best ive ever used. of course he went belly up so theres that too

Comment

Making great OD/Distortion pedals is not hard or expensive to make. When you buy any expensive simple one, you are paying mostly for cosmetic novelty of it and the labor market and scale it was built in, and the dream that it's convinced you it can achieve.
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        meh... snake oil strings were some of the best ive ever used. of course he went belly up so theres that too
                        You tried those too? (S.O.B. - Snake Oil Brand strings) I got a couple sets in the early 2Ks and yeah, on a strat, they were killer.

Everybody was clamoring for more, but yeah, apparently his biz died.

Comment

Working...
                        X