Weird Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Question...

This probably belongs in off-topic, I don't know, it's about a guitar, so...

Ever take your guitar in for a repair/upgrade/etc. then sometime later realise you really miss that guitar? I took my Ibanez LP (yeah, yeah, "those are junk, it's not a real Les Paul, play authentic, blah blah blah") in to have chrome parts installed on Thursday morning, and by Friday afternoon I really wanted my guitar to be finished and back in my hands already.

I thought I was just being stupid, but I figured... HOPED... somebody else might get this.

Anyone?

Oh, while I'm thinking of Ibanez, what's the deal with headless guitars making some kind of comeback? Is somebody playing a joke? Was Dr. Evil frozen in the early 80's, has since been unfrozen and it's one of his humorously outdated ideas for world domination? I mean, what am I paying you people for? Throw me a fricking bone here.

Re: Weird Question...

When I go on vacation I miss whatever guitar is my fave at that time. "Gee, this is fun. Sigh. I wonder what my guitar is doing right now..."
    Last edited by Dave Locher; 02-09-2020, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
      This probably belongs in off-topic, I don't know, it's about a guitar, so...

Ever take your guitar in for a repair/upgrade/etc. then sometime later realise you really miss that guitar? I took my Ibanez LP (yeah, yeah, "those are junk, it's not a real Les Paul, play authentic, blah blah blah") in to have chrome parts installed on Thursday morning, and by Friday afternoon I really wanted my guitar to be finished and back in my hands already.

I thought I was just being stupid, but I figured... HOPED... somebody else might get this.

Anyone?

Oh, while I'm thinking of Ibanez, what's the deal with headless guitars making some kind of comeback? Is somebody playing a joke? Was Dr. Evil frozen in the early 80's, has since been unfrozen and it's one of his humorously outdated ideas for world domination? I mean, what am I paying you people for? Throw me a fricking bone here.
      Solution...

Get more guitars.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
        When I go on vacation I miss whatever guitar is my face at that time. "Gee, this is fun. Sigh. I wonder what my guitar is doing right now..."
        When I'd go on vacation to Hard Rock Resort in Cancun, they'd let me check out a guitar for my stay (they have many models of Strats and Teles to choose from). After a day or so it felt like I was wasting my vacation because I could play guitars at home. I haven't checked another one out for many years now.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          When I'd go on vacation to Hard Rock Resort in Cancun, they'd let me check out a guitar for my stay (they have many models of Strats and Teles to choose from). After a day or so it felt like I was wasting my vacation because I could play guitars at home. I haven't checked another one out for many years now.
          I always take a guitar on vacation and play while lounging. Read/Write/Draw/Play Guitar/Relax - thats the perfect Vacation in my book.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Sometimes I'm the bad guy here. I'm the guy you bring it to, then you don't get it back for a few days. Either because you have a couple jobs in front of you, or I need to order parts. But I feel your pain. As Doc said . . . get more guitars.

Comment

My biggest heartache now is that there is no way I can play all of my guitars in a year. And because I love all of them so much i can't bring myself to sell any of them to thin the herd.

(I guess that's a better pain than not having enough guitars though).

Comment

Brought my favorite acoustic in for refretting; my Martin guru was very busy and he told me six weeks.
                Though he got it done in five, I missed that guitar a lot.
                I have others of course but it just isn't the same.

My #1 has been in need of new frets for some time now and I just can't bring myself to take her in.
                I dread being without for an extended period.
                Even though I have others just as nice, we have a special bond.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

That just means it’s your number 1, right?
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    That just means it’s your number 1, right?
                    It seems to be. Even though I hadn't played it since I removed the old hardware, meanwhile I bought a bigger cabinet specifically for that guitar, then finally I decided to stop pissing around and just take it to a repair shop.

I just hope when it's ready I can afford to pay for it, otherwise the wait is even longer.

Comment

This thread is really depressing.
                      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I dont get headless guitars either... And Keisel (formerly Carvin) seems to be real big on them too. I mean the Steinbergs (sp?) were cool as they were smaller and more travel friendly..
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Well, Steinbergers were more professional than just as travel guitars. Mine is a wonderful instrument, and the headless design makes it ergonomically more balanced, and it is much easier to tune and restring.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Weird Question...

I do all my own work (I’m a luthier) but I have favorite guitars. I currently own about 10 guitars and 9 basses, half of which I built. But I’m generally playing one guitar and one bass. I guess I’m used to them.

An instrument doesn’t have to be expensive to be good. And I’d rather play an Ibanez than a Gibson or Fender. My main bass is my 1987 Ibanez SR-885LE.

And headless guitars are cool. I almost bought an M series Steinberger back in the 80s. I regret not buying it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                              And I’d rather play an Ibanez than a Gibson or Fender. My main bass is my 1987 Ibanez SR-885LE.
                              Weird way of putting it, "I'd rather".

I have no idea why or how I became an Ibanez fan. I bought a pawn shop Roadstar II in the 90's for $120 and played that until the guts fell out. Stupidly didn't think of keeping the body, just thought I could get another one whenever. I guess that guitar hooked me more than I realised. I wasn't really paying attention to people who were known for playing Ibanez - Rocky George, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert, etc. - I kind of ignored Paul because of the whole Mr. Big/"that song". Silly me - But then there was a separation and I figured I could buy any guitar I wanted (I had the money at the time) as some kind of bandaid to that, and I basically ran towards Ibanez.

I couldn't say "I'd rather" play Ibanez, it just became a comfort. As far as Gibson and Fender, they're out of my price range, I COULD buy an Epiphone or a Squier, but for so long it just seemed like giving up/sour grapes, "oh, I can't afford this, so I'll buy this consolation prize instead". I guess another thing I like about Ibanez is they have the guts to put their main brand on their cheaper run of guitars. G and F almost seem embarrassed they have cheaper guitars. They're slowly coming around, but that kind of elitist bull**** has always irked me.

Anyway, that's just me. Can you explain your feeling of "I'd rather play Ibanez than..."?

Comment

Working...
                              X