New Pegasus/Sentient Pickups Sound Like Single Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pegasus/Sentient Pickups Sound Like Single Coils

I recently had the Crunch Lab/Liquifire set in my RG replaced with a Pegasus/Sentient set and they sound very thin and twangy as if they're coil split. The tech said he wired them the same as the previous pickups but I think something is messed up. Anybody know what could have gone wrong and if it's an easy fix?

Re: New Pegasus/Sentient Pickups Sound Like Single Coils

When you plug in your guitar with the amp on and the volume and tone open, put the pickup selector switch in the neck position. Then, take a screwdriver and tap the screws and slugs.

Now do the same with the selector switch in the bridge position.

Does tapping the screws sound about as loud as tapping the slugs? If so, you are not in single coil mode.

Did your tech use the same wire colors when he/she made his/her connections? That would be a problem, since Duncan and Dimarzio have different color wire codes. But any tech should know that.

Comment

It sounds about half as loud, maybe less. I'm getting the sense that when we told me he wired it the same as the previous pickups he used the same color wires for the connections. Hopefully he can figure it out...

Thanks jmcorey

Comment

Originally posted by B-Wall View Post
        It sounds about half as loud, maybe less. I'm getting the sense that when we told me he wired it the same as the previous pickups he used the same color wires for the connections. Hopefully he can figure it out...

Thanks jmcorey
        Send this chart to him

Comment

Will do. You guys have been very helpful, thank you!

Comment

Let us know how this turns out. He shouldn't have let it leave his bench wired incorrectly, though. At least he should have called and explained that something was weird with the wiring, and ask if you want yours like that.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Wait... He wired Duncans the same as the DiMarzios being replaced? Their color codes are different and the Duncans won't be right if he wired them just like the DiMarzios.
              Nope...

Comment

I have this setup in my Chapman ML3 Pro Modern and they sound awesome. I think you need yours rewired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I recently had the Crunch Lab/Liquifire set in my RG replaced with a Pegasus/Sentient set and they sound very thin and twangy as if they're coil split. The tech said he wired them the same as the previous pickups but I think something is messed up. Anybody know what could have gone wrong and if it's an easy fix?
                  Something is very wrong. I replaced a Crunch Lab/ Liquifier set in my Carvin ST 300 with a Senitent/ Hybrid set and it's anything but thin and twangy sounding now!!
                  You must have ether a phase issue or the pickups are both split one of the 2!! This is my DC 127 with a Hybrid Sentient and both split together does it sound like this?
                  Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

If I were you I'd visually check the wiring compared to the charts. If it's wrong DO NOT take it back to that guy.
                    SD vs DMZ wiring differences is an automatic first thought for any qualified tech.

Surely it's something else though.

Comment

If anything, they are more on the rounder fatter side of things. Especially the sentient. Definitely wired wrong.

Click image for larger version

Name:	92D28DC0-306E-458C-ABC5-BBA634AA2442.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	5818208

If he wired the Duncans like the Dimarzios, then he completely bypassed one coil lol. I believe the south/screw coil is the one that’s active. Take a screwdriver and tap the polepieces to be sure.

Comment

^^^^ Bowtomecha nailed it.

The tech said he wired them the same as the previous pickups . . .
                        I always cringe when I see a comment like this. How does a "tech" not know that all pickups don't have the same color codes. I always research the pups, then physically measure them. (Someone could have always changed the cable wrong.)

And last but not least, I test the dang thing before I hand it back to the customer. These are just the tech basics.

And be sure to let us know how she sounds when you get it all worked out.
                        Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-09-2020, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X