Same guitar, all mahogany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Same guitar, all mahogany

one more thing, if the wood on the neck of a strat is quartersawn it makes it sustain longer about 25 to 30 percent and it has a more snappy midrange with harmonics being more pronounced. That doesnt mean it sounds better. it only means thats what the wood differance will do to the tone. If you like a soft, round, clean tone on a strat you may hate the snappy, punchy, articulate quartersawn neck tone. Theres no right or wrong here. Its simply what you prefer.
    I will say this......If you had a quartersawn neck on a strat your gunna notice about a 20 percent differance in tone (max and only if your good enough to exploit it). But if you add real steel saddles about 10% diffence, and a large brass block 15% differance, and a more efficent capacitor 10 to 15% difference, and a titanium claw and heavier springs 10% difference, all without even starting on the pickups, you will suddenly have a significant differance as long as you dont overprocess the tone.
    I have not experimented with baked necks yet as I have only played about 5 guitars with baked necks. I have done no side by sides with the same model. Those that like baked necks really swear by them and claim the sustain is better and the tone clearer. I found the guitars I played had definently good sustain and a clear, articulate tone. I think a polyester finish would nulify much of that so your back to exploiting the baked neck by trying to use a Nitrous finish so it would really resonate more and the diffence would become more noticable.
    Its expensive to naturally enhance your guitar tone for different tone and more sustain. Pickups are often the easiest and most affordable way to quickly change your tone. I will say the best players are gear heads and tweakers for a reason. Natural good tone always sounds great unless over processed.
    good luck gentleman. Im a hopeless tweaker and gear head. Its just something I love to do. Theres no right or wrong and your experiance and tastes will vary.
    Last edited by philthis; 02-25-2020, 11:44 AM.

Comment

The more you distort your guitar signal, the more it compresses.

And the more it compresses, the more frequencies (you know, the building blocks of tone) get "squashed".

Eventually resulting in a flat, lifeless tone... at that point, you've squashed the signal.

And, at that point (like others have said) it doesn't matter much what guitar you plug in, it's all gonna sound the same.

Wood matters... and so does the amount of gain/distortion you use... when it comes to your guitar's inherent tone.
      Last edited by LLL; 02-25-2020, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
        The more you distort your guitar signal, the more it compresses.

And the more it compresses, the more frequencies (you know, the building blocks of tone) get "squashed".

Eventually resulting in a flat, lifeless tone... at that point, you've squashed the signal.

And, at that point (like others have said) it doesn't matter much what guitar you plug in, it's all gonna sound the same.

Wood matters... and so does the amount of gain/distortion you use... when it comes to your guitar's inherent tone.

So, in your view all metal and hard rock is **** guitar tone where the guitar doesn't matter?
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          So, in your view all metal and hard rock is **** guitar tone where the guitar doesn't matter?
          Where in my explanation did I indicate that "metal and hard rock" levels of distortion was the point where guitar tone starts turning into over-compressed ****?

Besides, you've heard my clips - you know what I play. (metal and hard rock is a forte' of mine)

Like AlexR says, "Some people's pickups/rig/processing just kills any of the more subtle aspects of the tone. They're the ones you typically hear saying there is no difference at all."

When I was kid and didn't know jack about tone, I would layer gobs and gobs of distortion on my tone for the aggression, but mostly to hide my crummy playing.

That's more the point where tone starts turning into over-compressed ****. It wouldn't have mattered the guitar I used; would've sounded the same.
          Last edited by LLL; 02-25-2020, 04:20 PM.

Comment

I have 3 of the SZs. They all sound the same. 2 320s. One Black and one Gold Top. And 1 520 with quilted maple top. The Black is the lightest most resonant, but still sounds just like the other two.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Spudman; 02-29-2020, 10:17 PM.
            Originally posted by Ball&Chain
            Orange beer just doesnt taste near as good as red. Im sure you will find that in the bible somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Spudman View Post
              I have 3 of the SZs. They all sound the same. 2 320s. One Black and one Gold Top. And 1 520 with quilted maple top. The Black is the lightest most resonant, but still sounds just like the other two.
              Is that thing actually hot pink or is that just the camera being quirky? I love it!
              --------------------------------------------------------
              1973 Aria 551
              1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
              1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
              1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
              1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
              2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                Is that thing actually hot pink or is that just the camera being quirky? I love it!
                It's not pink. It's a berry magenta or something. I can't find the actual name for it though.
                Originally posted by Ball&Chain
                Orange beer just doesnt taste near as good as red. Im sure you will find that in the bible somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                X