Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fixed Floyed Rose

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
    It's a regular off the shelf original Floyd rose but with a minimal route, and the sustain block is bolted straight into the wood with no springs so it can't move. I'm not sure what the thumb screw is, but I'm guessing it may be a way they devised to bring the action up and down without using the 2 stud posts. Couldn't tell you for sure though.

That's a pretty extreme solution for the average user but they can be effectively blocked if you want something like this on your own axe !

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    It looks like simply a cap to cover the vibrato arm socket. That's what made me wonder whether it' s a newish Floyd designed specifically for this task or just an hack/DIY solution.

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
      Yeah the Kahler ones are great. They feel like a Floyd, but instead of cutting the balls off the strings and locking at the nut, they act like a regular bridge. also no routing . And they're the most adjustable bridge I know of ; every string has height, intonation, and even side-to-side adjustment. Where a regular Floyd is sadly confined to whatever radius they gave it from the factory. Love my Kahler

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
      Well, you can always shim the saddles to match the fingerboard radius, but I have to agree that it's a PITA...

Comment

I’ve played a few of the mick Thompson sig guitars over the years that my buddies have. I like the Jackson the best. The bridge works well for keeping tune in climates like live in anyone that lives in the south knows how the humidity and moisture can effect running stability. It is definitely a guitar you set up for one tuning and leave. The bridge actually adds some sustain they only route around 1/4 an inch out of the top for the plate to sit down in. There is not block or springs then the bridge plate is screwed down to the body.
        Think of it more like a telecaster bridge plate. With locking strings and fine tuners. I always liked the sound of Floyd rose guitars when blocked. The bridge it self just feels better under my hand. The way the mick Thompson guitar is set up give gives you that feel. Without having some much wood removed plus a lot more bridge contact. A friend of mine even put a d tuna on his for drop d tuning. The guitar will not be for everyone by any means but between the maple neck through with graphite rods and the fixed Floyd/locking nut they stay in tune very well.

Comment

Originally posted by man-in-moon View Post
          There is not block or springs then the bridge plate is screwed down to the body.
          Hah, I totally forgot about the three huge screws holding the sustainblock in place! And thanks for the review, very informative!

Comment

If you look at close up pics of the white one you can tell more. It’s bolted from the top.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	F4B976A3-7A28-454E-8EA5-33CF89E79284.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	5818213

Comment

I remember Ibanez made a hardtail locking bridge with a locking nut back around 10 years ago

That's about all I have
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Yeah the Ibanez Thompson sig had the same type of bridge setup.

Comment

The Ibanez one seems like a more straightforward design. Wouldn't be surprised if the reason Jackson went a different route (Ba-dum-tsssss) is because patents or licensing.
                  --------------------------------------------------------
                  1973 Aria 551
                  1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                  1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                  1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                  1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                  1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                  2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Working...
                  X