Fixed Floyed Rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixed Floyed Rose

I was browsing Jackson's site (I'm a fanboy, in case you haven't heard already :P ) and this one caught my eye.

I'm not much of a Slipknot fanm though I admit that Thomson is great player and his skills go way beyond what is shown in that band, but his latest Soloist had a fun new Jackson bridge (MTB HT 6) with all the double locking benefits of a Floyd but actually being a hardtail.

And now they have this:

Crafted with the demands of the discernible player in mind, Jackson guitars give you the shapes, finishes and tones you love. From the venerable Rhoads, Soloist, Warrior and more, shop Jackson for the highest performance.

It says its a fixed Floyd... Does anyone know anything closer about this? Can't find it on the Floyd site and that covered arm socket looks like some in-house modification to a regular low profile Floyd Rose Pro... Would be cool if this solution became a bit more ubiquitous, as I'd really love to have a fixed/hardtail axe, but I'm so used to how the Floyd feels under my right hand, that I couldn't play a TOM style bridge for the life of me.

Re: Fixed Floyed Rose

"The Floyd RoseŽ Pro 6-string tremolo has been recessed and blocked off to act as a “fixed bridge” for laser-accurate intonation and ultra-stable tuning throughout the most aggressive playing."

They probably have a Tremol-No or something like that in there.

As far as 'laser-accurate intonation/ultra stable tuning', marketing sure are going hard to try and keep their jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
      "The Floyd RoseŽ Pro 6-string tremolo has been recessed and blocked off to act as a “fixed bridge” for laser-accurate intonation and ultra-stable tuning throughout the most aggressive playing."

They probably have a Tremol-No or something like that in there.

As far as 'laser-accurate intonation/ultra stable tuning', marketing sure are going hard to try and keep their jobs.
      DUH! Should've read all the way through! D Thanks for using your eyes instead of me! So it's really nothing then. I still love the original idea of the MTB HT 6 or whatever they call it.

Oh, they're a weird bunch... even the JS series has such a strong PR BS on the product pages, that you'd think it's on par with a custom shop. Then on some of the USA Select pages they have photoshopped strings on a guitar...

Comment

What's the point? You can achieve the same deal by simply blocking a stock Fender style trem and avoid the high price of the Floyd. Or just install a hardtail bridge with finer tuners (Kahler makes a nice one).
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

The closest thing must be the fixed Edge tremolo he had on Ibanez MTM. The SEVEN guitar.

Comment

There doesn't appear to be any back routing to accomodade springs and spring claw, so I doubt its as simple as a trem stopper.

What I find odd is that they would opt to still use the knife edge/pivot point design instead of putting in a set of much sturdier TOM-style bridge posts, like they did for his Ibanez guitars.
            --------------------------------------------------------
            1973 Aria 551
            1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
            1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
            1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
            1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
            1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
            2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
              What's the point? You can achieve the same deal by simply blocking a stock Fender style trem and avoid the high price of the Floyd. Or just install a hardtail bridge with finer tuners (Kahler makes a nice one).
              Well, to my knowledge the Fender style trems do not lock, I do not know how they did the one in the link I posted, but the MTB HT 6 has absolutely no backrouting, so that means a good fistful of extra wood and like I said: I just simply feel safe with the Floyd under my hand so if I were to invest in a ne wguitar with a fixed bridge, this would appeak to me a lot. It's really a best of both worlds kinda thing. Apart from that? There's really no point. I just found it interesting and it was good to see that someone actually put some thought into creating something new(ish) instead of churning out the same ole **** in a different color, so I thought asking around how it really works might not hurt...

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                There doesn't appear to be any back routing to accomodade springs and spring claw, so I doubt its as simple as a trem stopper.

What I find odd is that they would opt to still use the knife edge/pivot point design instead of putting in a set of much sturdier TOM-style bridge posts, like they did for his Ibanez guitars.
                Yeah, and I'd be curious what keeps the whole thing on the body.. It sure ain't those two pivots screws. Actually, the one with the Floyd (the one I linked) seems to have tiny rout i nthe back, might be for the sustain block, but then I'm still wondering what keeps it sitting on the body...

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
                  "The Floyd RoseŽ Pro 6-string tremolo has been recessed and blocked off to act as a “fixed bridge” for laser-accurate intonation and ultra-stable tuning throughout the most aggressive playing."As far as 'laser-accurate intonation/ultra stable tuning', marketing sure are going hard to try and keep their jobs.
                  It may very well have stable tuning, but as long as it has that antiquated nut, it will never have "laser-accurate intonation".
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                    Much cheaper to use parts already in production than to design and fabricate special dies to build a very limited production run piece.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Any hard tail with a locking nut or locking tuners seem like they would do the same. I think the Anteres Auto-Tune guitars also did this, really well. Probably better than this 'fixed Floyd' thing, and you can actually use it for different tunings, too.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        It may very well have stable tuning, but as long as it has that antiquated nut, it will never have "laser-accurate intonation".
                        Lets be honest: most of the people at whom this marketing BS is aimed, doesn't even know what intonation is. But the prospect of "laser accuracy" sure makes their money burn their pockets. And it's nothing against people not knowing everything about guitars, it's just the way it is. There are a TON of things that I do not know either. Companies want to sell their stuff, for which they are willing to make statements that are not entirely true and the less informed buyers-to-be are at the highest risk of parting ways with their paychecks...

Comment

It's a regular off the shelf original Floyd rose but with a minimal route, and the sustain block is bolted straight into the wood with no springs so it can't move. I'm not sure what the thumb screw is, but I'm guessing it may be a way they devised to bring the action up and down without using the 2 stud posts. Couldn't tell you for sure though.

That's a pretty extreme solution for the average user but they can be effectively blocked if you want something like this on your own axe !

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                            Much cheaper to use parts already in production than to design and fabricate special dies to build a very limited production run piece.
                            That seems to be the case! I kept digging and it looks like that the hacked/DIY Floyd Rose solution came first and then Jackson came up with a "proper" in-house version of the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                              Yeah the Kahler ones are great. They feel like a Floyd, but instead of cutting the balls off the strings and locking at the nut, they act like a regular bridge. also no routing . And they're the most adjustable bridge I know of ; every string has height, intonation, and even side-to-side adjustment. Where a regular Floyd is sadly confined to whatever radius they gave it from the factory. Love my Kahler

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X