Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about SD 5 way blade diagram

Hi,
    This will be my first attempt to re wire a new guitar from actives (EMG81/85) to passives (JB/59 or JB/Sentient). I was thinking about doing the 5 blade wiring to have the coil split option. I may not use them if they hum too much but I thought since I am rewiring the whole thing I might as well giving them a try.

Where is the ground wire coming from the bridge in this diagram though? Even my factory installed EMGs have them going to the pot. I don't see it in this diagram. Should I run a ground from the bridge to the tone pot anyway? The 3 blade switch diagram shows the bridge wire going to the tone pot, for some reason this one (5 blade/split coil) doesn't.
    Also, I'm looking at the switch from the bottom part, right?
    Thank you!!

2 HUMBUCKER | 1 VOLUME
    1 TONE | 5 WAY BLADE (with coil split)

Click image for larger version

Name:	SD diagram 5 blade.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	5853451
    Attached Files

Re: Question about SD 5 way blade diagram

When you say "bridge", are you referring to the actual device that holds the strings? Or the bridge pickup? If the former, just solder a wire to any ground connection. It doesn't matter if it's the back of a pot or the sleeve of the output jack. They're all the same in a properly wired electric guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      When you say "bridge", are you referring to the actual device that holds the strings? Or the bridge pickup? If the former, just solder a wire to any ground connection. It doesn't matter if it's the back of a pot or the sleeve of the output jack. They're all the same in a properly wired electric guitar.
      Sorry I meant the actual metal bridge in the back, that in this case is the claw of the Floyd Rose.

Comment

I am asking because the 3 blade switch diagram (no coil split) for 1 tone and 1 volume shows the ground wire coming from the bridge of the guitar but the diagram with the 5 blades and the coil split doesn't.

3 blade diagram, 2 humbuckers, 1 tone, 1 volume

Name:	SD diagram 3 blade.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	5818212

Comment

Cool. That's what I thought you meant, but I wanted to make sure. Just solder a wire from the bridge claw to any other "ground" in the control cavity. I prefer the sleeve of the output jack myself, but that's mostly because it's convenient. However, on a Strat, it isn't. Pick any convenient ground.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            Cool. That's what I thought you meant, but I wanted to make sure. Just solder a wire from the bridge claw to any other "ground" in the control cavity. I prefer the sleeve of the output jack myself, but that's mostly because it's convenient. However, on a Strat, it isn't. Pick any convenient ground.
            Thanks, I'll ground the wire from the guitar bridge to the tone pot or the ground in the output jack as you suggested. The tone pot may work better for me since I basically have a strat shape with the cavity in the back.

Comment

Just keep in mind, that you can heat up the output jack to virtually any temperature. Vol/Tone pots . . . not so much. Be careful.

Comment

I am assuming the 5 blade diagram works with a 5 blade switch plus 2 regular pots (not push and pull pots), right?
                So it will work this way: position 1 neck humbucker, 2 split coil neck, 3 split coils of both humbuckers, 4 split coil in the bridge humbucker, 5 bridge humbucker? Sorry for all the questions, I have no idea of what I'm doing, haha, I'm just checking some you tube videos but there is nothing specific.

Comment

No prob with the questions . . . but ironically, I'm going back 'n forth in my chair, perusing the forum, while doing almost the exact opposite of what you're doing. I'm converting a customers Schecter Synyster Gates from passive Duncan Designed HB108 set, (Detonators?), to an active EMG 85/60 set. I need to come back to your question after I get done wiring this up. Or I'll eff it up real bad. Two different directions on the same track.

Comment

Originally posted by Edward203 View Post
                    I am assuming the 5 blade diagram works with a 5 blade switch plus 2 regular pots (not push and pull pots), right?
                    So it will work this way: position 1 neck humbucker, 2 split coil neck, 3 split coils of both humbuckers, 4 split coil in the bridge humbucker, 5 bridge humbucker? Sorry for all the questions, I have no idea of what I'm doing, haha, I'm just checking some you tube videos but there is nothing specific.

No, what you listed for positions is not what the switch yields.

I studied that diagram last summer, and in the attached pic is the list of switch positions that it yields.. forum member BriGuy1968 assisted in the interpretation, and forum member GuitarDoc confirmed the interpretation.

Name:	Screenshot_20200124-130828_Chrome.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	5818220
                    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 02-10-2020, 11:01 PM. Reason: Corrected a typo
                    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Thank you! This is an option, a little weird not to have the bridge humbucker and the neck humbucker on the complete opposite side. The other option is the 3 way switch with one push/pull which will give me 6 options, I'll look into that one too.

Comment

OP: "I am assuming the 5 blade diagram works with a 5 blade switch plus 2 regular pots (not push and pull pots), right?
                        So it will work this way: position 1 neck humbucker, 2 split coil neck, 3 split coils of both humbuckers, 4 split coil in the bridge humbucker, 5 bridge humbucker?"

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
                        No, what you listed for positions is not what the switch yields.

I studied that diagram last summer, and in the attached pic is the list of switch positions that it yields.. forum member BriGuy1968 assisted in the interpretation, and forum member GuitarDoc confirmed the interpretation.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103284[/ATTACH]
                        Wow, that result is not what i would've expected at all! So, does Seymour Duncan have a wiring diagram for a 5-way switch, 2 humbuckers, that does what the OP described in his quote above? There is something "not quite right" with the 5-way setup on my Banshee and I wanted to re-wire it to get what he asked about there. ^^^
                        Schecter Banshee Elite-6 (Natural Gloss), Custom/59-A4
                        Schecter Banshee Elite-6 (Cat's Eye Pearl), Black Winter/Sentient-A2
                        Schecter Blackjack SLS, Full Shred/Jazz
                        Marshall DSL-40CR

Comment

Originally posted by Sun King View Post
                          OP: "I am assuming the 5 blade diagram works with a 5 blade switch plus 2 regular pots (not push and pull pots), right?
                          So it will work this way: position 1 neck humbucker, 2 split coil neck, 3 split coils of both humbuckers, 4 split coil in the bridge humbucker, 5 bridge humbucker?"

Wow, that result is not what i would've expected at all! So, does Seymour Duncan have a wiring diagram for a 5-way switch, 2 humbuckers, that does what the OP described in his quote above? There is something "not quite right" with the 5-way setup on my Banshee and I wanted to re-wire it to get what he asked about there. ^^^
                          Sun King,

Follow along here:

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...me-1-tone-help!
                          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Edward203 View Post
                            So it will work this way: position 1 neck humbucker, 2 split coil neck, 3 split coils of both humbuckers, 4 split coil in the bridge humbucker, 5 bridge humbucker?
                            You've got your switch positions backwards. When the blade switch is furthest to the tail end of the guitar (toward the bridge pup), this is position 1. When the switch points toward the neck, this is position 5.
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                            X