banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody had issues with humm running the hybrid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody had issues with humm running the hybrid?

At my Church it's just nasty with a LOT of stray RF and buzz in particular a single coil is unusable with gain because it's SO bad there. Have noticed all my guitars with Hybrids are notably noisier than my other humbucker guitars at gain there. Anybody else seeing this?
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Re: Anybody had issues with humm running the hybrid?

that's a logical given; if you use 2 symmetrical coils you get to cancel more hum, or cancel more efficiently. However, they should be fairly silent. I run nothing but hybrids in my guitars and I have little to no problems. Bad electrical wiring inside buildings can often lead to unwanted hum too.

Comment

In normal playing, I've never noticed that it is humming a lot. Obviously due to the design, it should hum more than matched coils, but I never noticed this in any playing situation that it became a problem.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Have had a hybrid in a guitar then swapped it for a higher gain Alt 8 and saw a noticeable decrease in hum instantly at my Church. Running high gain amps like the MT 15 the Carvin X50 and a DC 5 on stage there makes rejection of hum critical. That environment is extreme and don't know exactly why as the Hybrid is not noticeably more noisy at home even next to something like a computer monitor. But boy it sure is noticeably noisier at my Church on stage and in 3 different guitars. Single coils are completely unusable for me there also.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
          Have had a hybrid in a guitar then swapped it for a higher gain Alt 8 and saw a noticeable decrease in hum instantly at my Church. Running high gain amps like the MT 15 the Carvin X50 and a DC 5 on stage there makes rejection of hum critical. That environment is extreme and don't know exactly why as the Hybrid is not noticeably more noisy at home even next to something like a computer monitor. But boy it sure is noticeably noisier at my Church on stage and in 3 different guitars. Single coils are completely unusable for me there also.
          Just curious if you've tried any power conditioning or similar? Of course, it could be dimmers or the lighting system in the place of worship, as well.

Larry

Comment

All my hybrids are completely quiet.

The church's wiring must be horrible. Is it grounded or just two-wire (hot/black and common/white)? If the latter, be aware that worse than the hum, that place is a death trap. Here in Calif, that place would be condemned until it is brought up to code.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Maybe someone in the church is an electrician? They can at least check how dirty the power is, and possibly even fix it.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Maybe someone in the church is an electrician? They can at least check how dirty the power is, and possibly even fix it.
                Honestly is the absolute worst I have ever played in and don't know why. We don't own this building and yes have tried a couple things but not a true power conditioner and have a Furman will try it and get back to you. Nothing is completely quiet in that building even EMG actives so it's really bad. Yes we have a couple electricians in house and I have indeed had conversations.
                The Hybrid is noticeably more sensitive to this at full volume but may just be amplified by the environment.
                Have not had issues with these pickups anywhere else.
                Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                  Honestly is the absolute worst I have ever played in and don't know why. We don't own this building and yes have tried a couple things but not a true power conditioner and have a Furman will try it and get back to you. Nothing is completely quiet in that building even EMG actives so it's really bad. Yes we have a couple electricians in house and I have indeed had conversations.
                  The Hybrid is noticeably more sensitive to this at full volume but may just be amplified by the environment.
                  Have not had issues with these pickups anywhere else.

Wow-anything that would make EMG's noisy is pretty exceptional. Like Doc said, might be a silver cloud in that, in chasing the noise, you're uncovering some unsafe wiring before someone finds out the hard way.

Larry

Comment

Years ago I worked in construction and I remember rewiring some old buildings with 2-wire electrical. Separate black/hot and white/common wires. Not together with the ground wire like Romex cable. The insulation on those wires got old and brittle with age and even cracked off. When an area of hot wire with cracked insulation comes into contact with the common wire with cracked insulation, the house burns down.

A building with that old wire (especially with cracked off insulation) acts like an antenna to catch all sorts of stray electrical signals. Makes anything in the building buzz...lights, toasters, TVs, radios, and especially amplified guitars.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                    X