Has anyone used an EMG Afterburner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone used an EMG Afterburner?

As the OP, I'm declaring this post to be about the AB and/or the Duncan Designed HB108. Aka Detonator. Your choice.

I'm installing this into a customers guitar. But there's only room for two pots. Does this thing go down to zero? Or does it go from unity gain to full boost? In other words, if I replace the volume control with this thing, will the guitar effectively have no volume control?

Thanks. The reason I don't just wire it up and try it is because it's a PITA to do.

Artie

As I examine the circuit board, it pretty much appears to be unity gain.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-21-2020, 05:57 PM.

Re: Has anyone used an EMG Afterburner?

there will be no volume control. its 0 boost to full boost but still passes signal even when off

Comment

It's essentially like adding the pickup booster to the guitar.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Thanks guys. That's kinda what I was afraid of. And finding dual concentric 25k pots is like pulling hens teeth. Either his vol or tone has got to go. I wish I could talk him out of putting this thing in. There's a million boost pedals available.

Comment

Instead of the afterburner, you could wire up a pa-2 to a push pull pot and not lose a volume or tone pot. You would have to set the boost amount on the trim pot though.

Comment

it is nice having a boost on the guitar. i just bought a push/pull 25k pot so i can wire up my guitar with blackout singles with an spc control and not lose the two output level options (dpdt switch) and volume and tone controls.

ive wired up a pa2 to a remote switch, its not hard as long as you are careful not to lift the traces of the pa2 when removing the old switch and adding the new one

Comment

It came out ok. I was kinda sweating bullets a little bit drilling a hole through this body, but I was super careful, and it came out fine. Now, just to wire her up. This axe actually belongs to a cousin of one of the guitarists for Avenged Sevenfold. (The guitar is the Schecter Synyster Gates.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Schecter_pots.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	5818233

Comment

What did he do with the stock tb8/sh8n set? They're way too good to be sitting in a parts drawer!

Comment

I'm going to finish it up this morning, so he hasn't done anything with them yet. I'm thinking of asking him if I can keep them as partial payment for the job. They sound killer in this axe. I can't help but wonder if he isn't taking a step backwards tonewise.

Comment

Well shoot! I gave it back to the customer without taking final pics. But dang, those EMG's sounded good. Super clean and tight. When you cranked the AfterBurner, it was like a bit of built-in distortion. Not a bad setup. I wish I had more time with it, but the customer wanted it back. Like yesterday.

Comment

I'm a little late to the party, but just wanted to say that I put an AfterBurner in one of my LP type guitars and I think it sounds great. It's a very smooth clean boost that gets thick as you turn it up. I wouldn't call it "distortion", but maybe overdrive. Also as the battery gets a little low on juice, the headroom is decreased and you get a really great saturated overdrive that doesn't necessarily sound weak from the lower voltage. It doesn't ever get "tinny" sounding, just very rich-toned boost/OD. You can even use it with 18 volts to get a very clean sound with lots of headroom if that's what you want. I haven't tried that because it isn't why I put it in the guitar in the first place.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

The distortion I was hearing was probably due to over driving the input to my amp, rather than the AB itself.

Comment

yeah, i dont remember the ab actually having any internal distortion with a good battery but the amount of boost pushed the front end of the amp really hard which was great. with a weak battery i remember getting some internal distortion which wasnt bad either

Comment

I wonder if the AB is much different than the stand-alone SFX-01? I snagged one back when GuitarElectronis sold the mini circuit-on-pot version. But I haven't actually installed it into anything yet.

Comment

there was a duncan designed firestorm which was pretty much the pup booster on a p/p pot without the resonance controls. worked as youd expect

Comment

Working...
                              X