Complaints regarding Duncan products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complaints regarding Duncan products

I've been using Duncan pickups for over 20 years, but unfortunately the last two years have revealed major issues with products bought new.

Almost two years ago I got a Hot Rails bridge, that turned out to be microphonic. Got it replaced, no issues so far.

A few months ago I got a Full Shred trembucker. Noticed it was prone to feedback, due to its inherently bright EQ, so I tried amp and noise gate settings to no avail. Brought the guitar to my tech, and it turns out the pickup wasn't potted. My tech got to it, brought the guitar back today, so I still have to play it my rehearsal to see if it has been fixed.

The last drop for me was a brand new Lil '59 neck I bought about twoo weeks ago. I got it wired for series/parallel switching, and last week at rehearsal when in series there was hardly any volume, but in parallel it worked fine. Got it to my tech, and while multimeter readings are around 5 ohms in parallel, in series readings are around 1,5/2 ohms. Since cables are fine, it should be an internal issues, but since it can't be opened, I have to buy a new one and replace it.

It would be all fine and dandy if I lived in the USA, since SD would probably acknowledge the issues and replace the pickups at no charge

But unfortunately I live in Portugal, Europe, and there's no official SD dealership here, so I have used german stores to get the pickups I want.

Since a few years back I never had any issues, has anything changed in the manufacting process? If my issues concerned 3 pickups of the same model, bought at the same time, it could be a production batch defective. But since that's not the case, it seems these issues come up avross the board.

Unfortunately, all of this leads me to question if I should stay faithful to SD, since I really like the tone, or change to a different brand. As a matter of fact, my tech told me other clients have had the same issues with other SD pickups.

At least some words from someone in the company would be nice. I will also e-mail the company through its official contacts, so that these news get through somehow.
    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Re: Complaints regarding Duncan products

I've cycled through dozens of new pickups in the past 2 years. Haven't had a single issue. In fact, I've never had an issue with a new product from Seymour Duncan, only very occasionally with used items.

Where are you buying your pickups? Who does the wiring in your guitars (same tech that fixes them?)?

Comment

I once bought a brand new '59B that measured in the low 7K's and had super weak output. I suspect I got a mislabeled '59N. I gave it away to a friend who uses it in the neck position, and he seems to enjoy it.

Man, but lately, I had the worst luck with EMG. Granted, I didn't buy all of them new, but I got two 60's and two 85's that sounded radically different from each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
        I've been using Duncan pickups for over 20 years, but unfortunately the last two years have revealed major issues with products bought new.

Almost two years ago I got a Hot Rails bridge, that turned out to be microphonic. Got it replaced, no issues so far.

A few months ago I got a Full Shred trembucker. Noticed it was prone to feedback, due to its inherently bright EQ, so I tried amp and noise gate settings to no avail. Brought the guitar to my tech, and it turns out the pickup wasn't potted. My tech got to it, brought the guitar back today, so I still have to play it my rehearsal to see if it has been fixed.

The last drop for me was a brand new Lil '59 neck I bought about twoo weeks ago. I got it wired for series/parallel switching, and last week at rehearsal when in series there was hardly any volume, but in parallel it worked fine. Got it to my tech, and while multimeter readings are around 5 ohms in parallel, in series readings are around 1,5/2 ohms. Since cables are fine, it should be an internal issues, but since it can't be opened, I have to buy a new one and replace it.

It would be all fine and dandy if I lived in the USA, since SD would probably acknowledge the issues and replace the pickups at no charge

But unfortunately I live in Portugal, Europe, and there's no official SD dealership here, so I have used german stores to get the pickups I want.

Since a few years back I never had any issues, has anything changed in the manufacting process? If my issues concerned 3 pickups of the same model, bought at the same time, it could be a production batch defective. But since that's not the case, it seems these issues come up avross the board.

Unfortunately, all of this leads me to question if I should stay faithful to SD, since I really like the tone, or change to a different brand. As a matter of fact, my tech told me other clients have had the same issues with other SD pickups.

At least some words from someone in the company would be nice. I will also e-mail the company through its official contacts, so that these news get through somehow.
        I am sorry about your experience here with a few pickups. If anything, the quality control has gotten better over the years. I am trying to think of how you can get readings in a pickup like that.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If your Lil 59 is working as it is supposed to in parallel - it has just proved it is working fine. By definition it cannot be the pickup at fault when in series.
          Check the quality of the wiring and the switch in particular.

Comment

They send all of the crappy pickups out of the U.S., and leave the good ones here.

Comment

Both wiring and the switch are working fine, my tech tried reversing the positions on the switch, with no success. Hope to get it sorted out soon.

I've bought pickups from Thomann and from Warwick, since the latter has some fisnhes no other european stores carry.

My tech does the all work for all my guitars, from regular setups to wiring. He's top notch, working for pro-level musicians here in Portugal.
              Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

i'm from the EU as well and I haven't had any issues with SD but I do hear many issue similar complaints to yours.

The problem is, unfortunately, not Seymour Duncan's to solve. It's Thomann's. They sold a defective product so they have to solve it for you, as the end consumer. How they handle that problem with SD, is their problem and should not be redirected to you. However, there are a few dealers in Portugal, according to the website? Have you tried to contact them?

Click image for larger version

Name:	SD dealer portugal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	5818230

Comment

When I hear the word "thomann" I start to sweat and shake : https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...ant-to-replace

Comment

Both wiring and the switch are working fine, my tech tried reversing the positions on the switch, with no success. Hope to get it sorted out soon.

I've bought pickups from Thomann and from Warwick, since the latter has some fisnhes no other european stores carry.

My tech does the all work for all my guitars, from regular setups to wiring. He's top notch, working for pro-level musicians here in Portugal.
                    I'm not knocking your tech, but for me personally, whenever I do a pup install, step one is to measure the pickup and make sure all the coils are in spec. Your 5k reading in "parallel, is indicative of only one coil being good. In series, that pup should be around 10k. Half, of course would be around 5k. But more importantly, you should read each coil individually. I usually put one meter lead on the red/white junction, then meter to the black, and then green. I'm guessing that what you think you're hearing as parallel, is actually just split to one coil.

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
                      When I hear the word "thomann" I start to sweat and shake : https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...ant-to-replace
                      oh man, I remember that horror story.

Comment

Actually the last two purchases were from Warwick.

Concerning the portuguese dealership, they depend on the spanish distributor, and not only pickups are few in models (JBs, 59s, Jazzes and Distortions), and not much else. Usually only available I black, and requests for other modes are usually dismissed.

Concerning the Lil'59, I pay with high gain amps, and have no noise while using parallel. Hence, it's not in single coil mode.

My best guess would be a broken coil wire, since the pickup worked fine for about two days after install. Then the volume dropped to almost nothing.

Comment

Concerning the Lil'59, I pay with high gain amps, and have no noise while using parallel. Hence, it's not in single coil mode.
                          That's cool man. It's just that a Lil 59 is two 5k coils. In series, would be around 10k, and in parallel would be around 2.5k. Your 5(k) measurement would indicate a single coil. But I'd just meter white to black, then red to green, and have a definitive answer. Good luck with this.

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
                            I've bought loads of gear @ Thomann and never had any issue. I've also returned a few things to them without a problem. I've even bought them returned items at a bargain price and received these pieces of gear as new...

Don't take me wrong: I'm not saying that problems can't happen with Thomann. But in MY humble experience, they're statistically more reliable than some other online shops (like "Bax Music" with whom I HAD some trouble).

Respectfully and FWIW.

I would say the same about Duncan's: in almost 40 years of use, I've seen very few of them crapping out.
                            Last edited by freefrog; 02-12-2020, 11:00 AM.
                            Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                              i'm from the EU as well and I haven't had any issues with SD but I do hear many issue similar complaints to yours.

The problem is, unfortunately, not Seymour Duncan's to solve. It's Thomann's. They sold a defective product so they have to solve it for you, as the end consumer. How they handle that problem with SD, is their problem and should not be redirected to you. However, there are a few dealers in Portugal, according to the website? Have you tried to contact them?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103301[/ATTACH]
                              Lol... And from whom did Thomann get those defective products, DiMarzio?

What a thoughtful hypothesis.

Gesendet von meinem ASUS_X00RD mit Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X