Analog Amp Simulator DI Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analog Amp Simulator DI Units

I've been shopping around looking for modern analog amp simulators and wanted to compare notes with others. Of my incomplete list, I've found the Radial JDX Direct-Drive, Palmer Pocket Amp MK2 and the Behringer GDI21 V-Tone Guitar Driver DI so far. I skipped over the little headphone amps and focused more on the DI units that had XLR outputs among their choices of output. I also skipped DI units that don't have cabinet simulations.

The Radial JDX Direct-Drive seems to be more of a clean pedal platform, not having a purpose built drive circuit as part of its offering. It does have a pass-through (no cab sim?) that allows you to push a guitar amp on stage, along with its DI output.

The Palmer and Behringer seem very similar, though the Behringer doesn't have the headphone-out or line-in that the Palmer has. The Behringer is much cheaper to buy. Neither seem to have a pass-through like the JDX Direct-Drive.

There's also the Behringer TM300 Tube Amp Modeler Pedal that seems to be trimmed down version of the Behringer GDI21, missing the XLR and ground lift. I suppose it might be more useful for situations where you want more effects after the amp modeler and have the hand-off to the board further down the signal chain.

I was curious what other board members have found out there that they like? Any other thoughts?
    Last edited by rbc; 02-11-2020, 06:13 PM.

Re: Analog Amp Simulator DI Units

There's a company in New York, I think they are called Tech 21, who do you think Behringer ripped off for the GD pedals - http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/gt2/

The Fly Rigs are pretty nice too, with some built in effects - http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/flyrig/
    Last edited by devastone; 02-11-2020, 07:48 PM.

Comment

I use several things from Tech 21- their Fly Rigs and Sansamp pedals are the real thing. They all sound great with pedals and sound as good as any amp going into a PA.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've most certainly heard of Tech 21, but haven't followed their products. I'll look at them more carefully. That's a "remarkable" similarity between the GT2 and the Behringer/Palmer units. Thanks for highlighting those!

Comment

The Blonde Deluxe from Tech21 was on my radar for a while, but I may just go with a flyrig to back up my Kemper. I have the VT Deluxe for my bass DI needs, awesome products.

Comment

I have the GD121 which sounds great. Yeah looks like it's design's "borrowed" from Tech 21..

There are a lot of pedal strips on Aliexpress with similar Tech 21 pedigree as well (Valeton, Sonicake, Mooer, Donner etc..)
            Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 02-11-2020, 11:42 PM.
            "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
            If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Can’t go wrong with the Tech21 stuff - I have an v1 Flyrig 5 at the moment and used the GT2 for many years as a gain stage on my board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I did a little bit more reading. The Rockman gear was a bit earlier than the Sansamp, but also more specialized. The Sansamp is more like a traditional guitar amplifier in its layout, and fits into a pedal board with other pedals more easily than the Rockman gear did. I'm still waiting for someone to make a Sustainor in a pedal.

Comment

Yes, the Rockman was the first, I remember when they all came out. The Rockman was cool in it's day, the latest versions are pretty much just practice headphone amps, the Tech 21 stuff is way more versatile, unless of course, you are looking for a headphone amp.

Yes, the Behringer stuff is "borrowed" from the T21 GT2, Joyo makes some versions of their character series. Per your original request, the v2 Fly Rigs seem to fit your bill. Unless you want to add your own effects, then they have just released the PSA 2.0, a pedal version of the original rackmount PSA

Comment

Both Joyo and Behringer have copied Tech 21. I think Behringer may have even gotten sued by Tech 21. I was recording through one of Tech 21's pedals last night for someone, and that recording sounded wonderful.

Comment

The Fly Rig 5 v2 is everything I'd want in one of those. It's definitely something I plan on picking up soon. The boost that can be pre/post is an excellent feature.

Comment

I think Tech21 FlyRig V2 is pretty incredible.
                        For almost the same price as the Behringer Gdi12 I would suggest the Zoom G1 Four (if you try one, remember to enable microphone in the cab block going direct to FOH). It's not analog but sounds good for the price and very easy to use. You can add a Radial StageBug or ProDI for XLR when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                          The Fly Rig 5 v2 is everything I'd want in one of those. It's definitely something I plan on picking up soon. The boost that can be pre/post is an excellent feature.
                          It is a great pedal...and the size! It is tiny. It can fit in many guitar cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            It is a great pedal...and the size! It is tiny. It can fit in many guitar cases.
                            Yeah. The size is amazing for what it is.

Comment

Tech 21 is your answer. They were the first, and still are the best.

I don't know why people support the sh*tty criminal empire that is Behringer.
                              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                              X