banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

APH-1 in neck good match for WLH in Bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APH-1 in neck good match for WLH in Bridge?

Guitar is Godin Icon, 24.5 scale, mahogany with ebony fretboard, giving guitar lots of high end, more than I like. Has WLH set. While before I was going to change the bridge out, I've decided I like it.
    Neck, however, sounds congested with gain.

APH-1n was recommended for neck before in previous post.

Now my question is will the APH-1n match well with the WLH in the bridge.

Thanks.

Re: APH-1 in neck good match for WLH in Bridge?

That pickup will match in terms of output, sure. But if the wlh is too congested, I'm afraid the APH1N will sound even fatter and more bold. I'd get the pearly gates Neck, to be honest, or perhaps even better, a seth lover neck. That pickup sounds sweet and round but super-open and airy. (the pearly is a bit fatter).

Comment

I agree here. If gain is congested now, I'd go for a more scooped pickup with the same power level. A 59 or a Jazz might work better for you, and either would blend with the WLH.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by jmcorey View Post
        Guitar is Godin Icon, 24.5 scale, mahogany with ebony fretboard, giving guitar lots of high end, more than I like. Has WLH set. While before I was going to change the bridge out, I've decided I like it.
        Neck, however, sounds congested with gain.

APH-1n was recommended for neck before in previous post.

Now my question is will the APH-1n match well with the WLH in the bridge.

Thanks.
        First off if a WLH is sounding congested in the neck going to an APH-1 would absolutely not be my choice. Will make it worse not better as the APH-1 is going to be big warm and softer in feel, sounds like you need a sharper attack and more clarity. I would go one of 2 ways, easiest would be drop a A4 in the WLH neck as will balance the tone and give you some real clarity in the neck. The other would be a SNS neck both would open up your neck tones and give you more clarity. Key is the way A4 responds have a SNS set in one guitar and a rough cast A4 in a 59 of another. Love the A2 Pro neck for blues and such and have had several but is going the wrong way for your situation.
        Last edited by Ascension; 02-12-2020, 11:42 AM.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

try an a4 in the wlh neck pup

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
            First off if a WLH is sounding congested in the neck going to an APH-1 would absolutely not be my choice. Will make it worse not better as the APH-1 is going to be big warm and softer in feel, sounds like you need a sharper attack and more clarity. I would go one of 2 ways, easiest would be drop a A4 in the WLH neck as will balance the tone and give you some real clarity in the neck. The other would be a SNS neck both would open up your neck tones and give you more clarity. Key is the way A4 responds have a SNS set in one guitar and a rough cast A4 in a 59 of another. Love the A2 Pro neck for blues and such and have had several but is going the wrong way for your situation.

Thanks everyone.

To you who are recommending an a4 in the WLH neck, would it not be less scooped than the RCA5 in there already? I don't get the recommendation for the A4, which I have read has more midrange than an A5.

Comment

The A4 will have a more balanced attack. It will also provide you
              with more clarity. I believe an A4 in the WLH is an excellent
              suggestion. Give it a try, magnets are cheap. Good luck.

Comment

a4 has a different mid range but less bottom so should have more clarity, i havent tried it in the wlh but i have in a 59 and i cleaned things up nicely

Comment

OK, then, thanks everybody. That is the next thing to try.

Comment

yes I concur: an A4 will clean it up quite nicely.

Comment

What would an A3 do? Relative to the A4?
                      Last edited by jmcorey; 02-14-2020, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Like an A2 with more highs
                        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Working...
                        X