First Bass Amp: Fender Rumble 200 vs Fender Rumble 500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Bass Amp: Fender Rumble 200 vs Fender Rumble 500

I just bought my first bass. I've never played bass, it was a "what the heck" moment. I then read amp reviews and zeroed in on the Fender Rumble series. I didn't want to get OCD on all makes and models...I won't know the difference. However, I checked for used amps locally and came across a Fender Rumble 200 for $300, and a Fender Rumble 500 for $400. Both are WAY more amp than i'd ever need, but for roughly the cost of a new Rumble 100, it seems like a no brainer to pick up one the used amps.

Is the Rumble 500 worth the incremental $100 over the 200? Both seem like good deals, especially considering after-tax a new Rumble 100 is right in the middle. Which would you choose? Thanks for your time and insight. Again, I know nothing about basses or bass amps so your input is very valuable.

Re: First Bass Amp: Fender Rumble 200 vs Fender Rumble 500

I'd choose the 500 if I plan on gigging. If not, save the money.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hmm. I went with the rumble 200 but if I could go back and do the 500 for that price I might!
      The 200 is loud and full enough for learning to play at home, but if I wanted to move some butts on stage with the 200 I would want an extra cab

The 100w can't run an extra cab so I wouldn't recommend it in the long run

Comment

I went with the 500, with the thought that I might need the extra power for live. I have played 0 shows in the past three years with though.... The 200 I had seemed a little easier to dial in for low volume practice. The 500 wants to stretch its legs. It’s just unfortunate that the 200 only actually does like 125W without an extension cabinet.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

When the bass bug hit me back in '99
          I bought a custom Carvin 5 string and their Redline 600 2x10 combo

Way more than I have ever needed

The bass has moved on, it was super heavy and the the neck was huge

I much prefer the Ibanez SR series which I now have 2 of

The Carvin amps are huge sounding and I have never thought of off loading it

And without the external cabinet I cant get the full 600 watts

It is super loud over 2 on the knob but doesn't distort
          It has a tube that I can blend in with the preamp signal
          I'm not sure how much that helps

My buddy played professionally for years with a Peavey
          Which are also great amps and are really undervalued in the used market
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

For playing by yourself at home, power is pretty much irrelevant.

But regardless of gigging, even just for jamming with a rock drummer and a guitar or two I'd say 500W would be the better choice.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

other than physical size constraints, there is no time i wouldnt rather have more power than less for bass. just cause its there, doesnt mean you have to use it. it also has overdrive and some other features. 2x10" vs 15" is another consideration. personally, id prefer two 10's.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. You all brought up some very good points.

I never have been, and never will be, a gigging musician. However, my kids are all aspiring rockstars and we have a lively/loud family band. We have drums, a grand piano, brass instruments, and my wife would say too many guitars. Our house is loud . Seems like the 500 would be the best fit, and even if I don't gig I bet one of my kids will drag it out of the house a few times.

Comment

that sounds like a wonderful environment for music all around, enjoy!

Comment

I have a Rumble 15 and 60. Either way, it'll be a sweet amp.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Another 500 popped up on CL for $340 so I snagged it. I plugged it in, cranked it up, plucked an open E, and promptly scheduled a dentist appointment to reseat my filings . WOW, this sucker is LOUD!!! Now...I need to learn how to play bass!

Comment

nice! good score

Comment

I was listening to John Taylor of Duran Duran on Rio intro tonight
                          I had to roll back a couple of times

Man he got some groove on

I think that's gated reverb that makes that so punchy

80s and early 90s had that effect on everything
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                          X