Strange power requirements and options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange power requirements and options

Didn't find such thread and I think it would be useful.

I have few questions, regarding EHX pedals that need 40v supply.

I have voltage doubler from Truetone I tought to use with 18v output for 36v, however text on it specifically warns never to use it with 18v... Other brand voltage doublers seem to use two outputs.

1) Are those two output using voltage doublers just series cables (at least voodoo lab one looks like it is)?

2) Would it work if I put Truetone voltage doubler to 9v output and then use voodoo lab with that and 18v for 36v. If it's just series cable would't it also work with 24v + 18v for 42v? mA output is well enough for doubling.

3) Can Truetone CS7 take that simple series cable. I know it's isolated, but it's switching supply and Truetone does not have similar cables in their wide range of adapters.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Re: Strange power requirements and options

Which pedal are we taking about here? 40V seems pretty steep.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
      Which pedal are we taking about here? 40V seems pretty steep.
      Frequency Analyzer. I think White Finger also uses same adapter.

EDIT: If I remember correctly the manual stated FA to need 32 mA at 40 V. So that would be 128 mA at 10 V right?
      Last edited by Jacew; 02-13-2020, 04:49 AM.
      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

I made series cable myself and wired it carefully testing. Turns out Truetone Voltage doubler does funny things with series cable... I put one part of cable in output, connected voltage doubler, and pedal lit up. The doubler wasn't connected to output, so there was power circulating from that 18v output backwards through the voltage doubler and to pedal. I opted not to risk it and connected just the series cable.

Turns out Frequency Analyzer works fine with just 30 volts. I have it connected to 18v + 12v outputs in series

Comment

My advise is to try to avoid work-around solutions and just resign yourself to using the proper power supply for that pedal.
          I had a pedal with a slightly out-of-the-ordinary power requirement (not as unusual as yours) and nothing I tried would keep that pedal from making my pedal board noisy until I reluctantly made some adjustments to make room for the dedicated supply in addition to my regular isolated supply and then everything worked as intended.

Comment

The big old Frequency Analyzer or the smaller new one?

I can see it working on 30V, it’s an all analog circuit.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by MGW View Post
              My advise is to try to avoid work-around solutions and just resign yourself to using the proper power supply for that pedal.
              I had a pedal with a slightly out-of-the-ordinary power requirement (not as unusual as yours) and nothing I tried would keep that pedal from making my pedal board noisy until I reluctantly made some adjustments to make room for the dedicated supply in addition to my regular isolated supply and then everything worked as intended.
              Well, it works perfectly fine now supplied by series cable. I prefer to keep the cables at minimum with my board.

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              The big old Frequency Analyzer or the smaller new one?

I can see it working on 30V, it’s an all analog circuit.
              New one. As far as I now it's supposed to be the same.

Comment

Working...
              X