Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing texas hots with surfers

Hi guys
    I have a set of antiquity texas hots in my MIM and i love the whole set but i think i want a surfer in the neck position now. No way i will ever change my bridge tx hot though. I know some people have surfers in the neck and middle positions and a txs hot in the bridge and love it. Sounds amazing but what if i keep the middle tx hot as well and only replace the neck pickup with a surfer as it's cheaper, more convenient, and i definitely love my current b+m sound. So how good will be the n+m sound with a surfer in the neck and a tx hot in the middle or is it that much better to replace both neck and middle pickups? Also should i swap the leads on the neck pickup, which is supposed to be the rwrp version right? (i know you should swap the leads on the bridge pickup in case of 2 surfers and a bridge tx hot and swap the n and m pickups as well). The whole surfer set is cool but i definitely want the tx hot in the bridge. Thanks in advance!

Re: Mixing texas hots with surfers

welcome to the forum!

i think keeping the texas hot in the middle is fine if you like it there. i do like the surfer in the neck for the a5 chime. i think youd want to get the rw/rp surfer to have it play nice with your current pups and be noise cancelling in the notch position. i can check this when i get home since i have both sets

Comment

Keep in mind, the Texas Hots will be out of phase with the Surfers, so you will have to flip the hot & ground on one or the other.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Keep in mind, the Texas Hots will be out of phase with the Surfers, so you will have to flip the hot & ground on one or the other.
        They are not out of Phase they are RW /RP from normal Duncans . The Texas hots are North leading not South and just went through this with running a Texas Hot in the bridge of a Strat with a pair of Alnico II Pros. Wound up with a standard Alnico II Pro in the middle and the RW/RP Alnico II in the neck so that 2 and 4 would hum cancel and the wire codes were as normal. Unless surfers are also North leading it will be the same here.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          welcome to the forum!

i think keeping the texas hot in the middle is fine if you like it there. i do like the surfer in the neck for the a5 chime. i think youd want to get the rw/rp surfer to have it play nice with your current pups and be noise cancelling in the notch position. i can check this when i get home since i have both sets
          Unless the Surfers are also north leading like the Texas hots you should be correct.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
            They are not out of Phase they are RW /RP from normal Duncans . The Texas hots are North leading not South and just went through this with running a Texas Hot in the bridge of a Strat with a pair of Alnico II Pros. Wound up with a standard Alnico II Pro in the middle and the RW/RP Alnico II in the neck so that 2 and 4 would hum cancel and the wire codes were as normal. Unless surfers are also North leading it will be the same here.
            Ahh, you are right..I just re-read this.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

^ Yup.

The most common scenario in which the above comes to bear is when combining Seymour Duncan single coils and Fender single coils. It all started when Seymour decided to base his single coils on the original Fender single coils from the 1950’s, which were south, top going. At some point in the 60’s, Fender decided to change their single coils to be north, top coming. The end result is that Seymour’s regular pickups are equivalent to Fender’s RWRP, and vise versa. The only exception to this is the Antiquity Texas Hot; that’s because it’s an accurate re-creation of the “new” style of Fender pickup.

Mixing pickups is great. You can have different flavors but all adding up to 1 concept.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys! So in my case i will install an rwrp version of surfer in the neck position and swap the lead wires on that pickup only right?

Comment

I thought you’d want:

Texas Hot Bridge
                  Texas Hot RWRP
                  Surfer RWRP

No need for swapping leads. Just wire it up, hold it in front of a string guitar to confirm phase.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    I thought you’d want:

Texas Hot Bridge
                    Texas Hot RWRP
                    Surfer RWRP

No need for swapping leads. Just wire it up, hold it in front of a string guitar to confirm phase.
                    Yeah that’s exactly what i’m thinking to do. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                    X