Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NBD

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
    Please elaborate on your distaste of thru neck... what's not to love? -unless you have stock in Mighty Mite or Warmoth.
    I think it's the lack of neck angle in relation to the body. I had a really nice Ibanez RG and a REALLY nice Charvel Model 6. Ultimately, there was something that kept em from bonding with either. Whenever I played a Soloist in a store, I ended up like the Dinky better. Same with the Ibanez stuff. Always loved the bolt-on counterparts, and there was some weird X factor that kept me from really loving the neck thrus.

What makes me think this is that I really loved the set-thru Schecter I had last year. It had a tune-o-matic bridge, with the same neck angle as a set neck guitar. I know that bolt-ons don't usually have much angle, either, but there's just something about the neck thrus I've tried that I don't like.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
      I think it's the lack of neck angle in relation to the body. I had a really nice Ibanez RG and a REALLY nice Charvel Model 6. Ultimately, there was something that kept em from bonding with either. Whenever I played a Soloist in a store, I ended up like the Dinky better. Same with the Ibanez stuff. Always loved the bolt-on counterparts, and there was some weird X factor that kept me from really loving the neck thrus.

What makes me think this is that I really loved the set-thru Schecter I had last year. It had a tune-o-matic bridge, with the same neck angle as a set neck guitar. I know that bolt-ons don't usually have much angle, either, but there's just something about the neck thrus I've tried that I don't like.
      Ok, that makes more sense, I guess if you got a thru neck fundamentally at the wrong angle enough to make truss adjustment impossible it could be a pain. So pick your weapons wisely!

Rick 4001s with their long neck, large head, and great upper fret access come to mind, you have to be very careful about purchasing an old one without inspecting carefully, as the dual truss rod was not added to fix the issue until the 4003.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

What kind of strings are on that thing? Heavy, light, low, high?
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
        X