banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fret buzz on just that one fret, any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fret buzz on just that one fret, any suggestions?

big frets arent for everyone, but i do like ss frets

if 12 is buzzing then its probably worn low and hitting 13 or 14. you should be able to take just a tiny bit off the offending fret to make the buzz better. if its really bad then you could just replace the 12th but most luthiers wont since its a real pita to just do one fret.

Comment

Originally posted by VergDan View Post
      I forgot to mention that the set up is proper. The luthier I took it to checked the action and it is not too low. In fact he said the action is perfect.

He suggested refretting the whole neck because I got around 60% of fret wire left..
      First of all, your tech can tell you the frets are level, but only YOU can determine if the action is perfect.

If there is 60% left and your playing is not suffering at all, your neck feels fine, then just check the 12th and 13th frets. A slight adjustment to 13 may solve the problem.
      Last edited by GuitarDoc; 02-15-2020, 10:11 AM.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
        When I bought the guitar the bridge posts (Floyd Rose) were rocking back and forth due to missing chunks of wood around them, and the fretboard had sort of a bulge in it (though the neck was straight).

Had a luthier fit the bridge posts with brass inserts, remove all frets, level the fretboard and then out in new frets.

Eventually started having problems with the 14th fret where it was high enough to kill the F (13th feet note) on the high e string, but just that one spot though.

Since then I've had one guy trying to hammer it back in a bit and one other guy went to town on it with a fret file and it still won't play nice.
        You absolutely need a new tech. One who actually knows what he is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          You absolutely need a new tech. One who actually knows what he is doing.
          Three different guys for that guitar. I'm starting to think it may be cursed.
          --------------------------------------------------------
          1973 Aria 551
          1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
          1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
          1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
          1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
          1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
          2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by The_Junior View Post
            All he did was check the action? what about neck relief?

...there might be enough material worn down on the 11th to cause a rattle to the 12th fret.
            Well, not if he is playing on the 12th fret and he gets a buzz. That's a problem with the 13th fret being too high relative to the 12th. It will have nothing to do with the 11th fret. In fact you could even totally remove the 11th fret or replace it with a too-tall fret and he will still have the same problem.

Comment

Working...
            X