HSS setup Seymour JB in the bridge position and two STK-S7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSS setup Seymour JB in the bridge position and two STK-S7

I need an help with an HSS setup with a Seymour JB in the bridge position and two STK-S7 (middle and neck position).
    The Seymour Duncan official website does not specify the existence of an RW / RP versions of the STK-S7 pickup. Looking on the internet I see that an RW / RP version is on sale for the midlle position (so I'm a little bit confused). Is it necessary to install an RW / RP pickup whit this setup to avoid hum in positions 2 and 4 of the pickup selector?
    Many thanks

Re: HSS setup Seymour JB in the bridge position and two STK-S7

The stacks come with an extra wire that lets you 'coil split' them, like run them in true single coil mode and eliminate the dummy coil. So the middle is RWRP in case you want that, so that you can have true single coil in your in-between positions and still have hum cancelling.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a Strat with the STK-S9b/4m/4n, and have never felt the need to "split" to the more true-ish single-coil mode. They sound like single coils just as they are. I wouldn't really worry about the RWRP thing on these pups.

Killer pups, by the way. You'll love 'em.
      Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-14-2020, 11:01 AM. Reason: STK-S9 . . . not S6

Comment

Thanks for your help. Isn't the STK-S4M already RW/RP?

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
          The stacks come with an extra wire that lets you 'coil split' them, like run them in true single coil mode and eliminate the dummy coil. So the middle is RWRP in case you want that, so that you can have true single coil in your in-between positions and still have hum cancelling.

It's clear for the 4th position with two active single coils, but in the 2nd position I will have the TB active with 1 coil and the stack working in hum-cancelling. So I think that there will be a noise problem...

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            I have a Strat with the STK-S6b/4m/4n, and have never felt the need to "split" to the more true-ish single-coil mode. They sound like single coils just as they are. I wouldn't really worry about the RWRP thing on these pups.

Killer pups, by the way. You'll love 'em.

Comment

Maybe I found the solution with the diagram "2 STACKS | 1 SINGLE COIL SIZED HUMBUCKER
              1 VOLUME | 1 TONE SUPER 5 WAY BLADE". Seymour Duncan explalins that with this setup I can get hum-cancelling in the 2nd and 4th positions. It does'nt matter that here the humbucker is single coil sized, the wiring it the same as the TB4

Comment

Originally posted by grani79 View Post
                It is, but it's only relevant if you split it by grounding the red wire. Which I never do. I leave it in it's noiseless configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                  It is, but it's only relevant if you split it by grounding the red wire. Which I never do. I leave it in it's noiseless configuration.
                  Sorry, but I do not understand. The stack is noiseless thanks to its own hum canceling (by dummy coil). If it is used with another coil (of the humbucker in split) the own hum canceling is no longer valid because the stack will be acrive with another pickup. Am I wrong?

Comment

If you combine it with 1 coil of the humbucker, I could see why you'd want to split it, to keep it hum-cancelling. This one is rw/rp.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      If you combine it with 1 coil of the humbucker, I could see why you'd want to split it, to keep it hum-cancelling. This one is rw/rp.
                      Yes, but it's another model I would like to use a STK-S7 with more output than STK-S4m in the middle position.

Comment

I'm not sure of what the exact construction technique that the STK's use to achieve hum-cancelling, but the use of a small dummy coil sounds logical. I'm also guessing that the red wire is the tap between the main coil and the dummy coil. So, if you ground the red wire, you have a true single coil pup. I'm also guessing that purists would say that the dummy coil impacts the purity of the single-coil chime and jangle. While it may do that, to my ears, the STK's have a great authentic single-coil tone. But to be honest, I haven't tried running mine split.

So, to get back to the point, if you want to ground the red wires in the #2 and #4 positions, in order to get that little extra single-coil chime, then having the middle RWRP would be important. If you run them "as is", so to speak, then it doesn't matter.

I really need to try mine out in split mode, so I can be more clear on the tone difference.

Comment

Originally posted by grani79 View Post
                          Yes, but it's another model I would like to use a STK-S7 with more output than STK-S4m in the middle position.
                          You can order an STK-S7 rw/rp as a Shop Floor Custom from any SD dealer.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Personally I prefer to use a true single coil in the middle like the SSL-1. That way I don't need super 5 switch, also when you split the STK-S7 or the JB it will still have hum cancelling in notch position. I only use the middle pickup for clean or mild overdrive so noise is not an issue to me when using the middle single coil.

Edit: I mean a regular SSL-1, not he RWWP, because Duncan's regular SSL-1 are inherently RWRP in relation to stacked single coils and humbuckers slug coils.
                            Last edited by IMENATOR; 02-14-2020, 09:16 AM.
                            Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
                              Personally I prefer to use a true single coil in the middle like the SSL-1. That way I don't need super 5 switch . . . .
                              Technically, you don't need the super 5-way with the STK's either. You can still auto-split the #2 and #4 positions with a standard 5-way. You'd simply wire the middle pups red wire to ground. That would, of course, mean it wouldn't be hum-cancelling in the "middle-only" position. But you wouldn't have that with an SSL series either.

Comment

Working...
                              X