Is there a pickup that does this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a pickup that does this?

Take an original parallel axis trembucker tone, keep the mids, but reduce the bass a middling amount and increase the high end articulation?

Doesn't have to be a duncan. In fact it's probably not as I'm familiar with the line and can't think of one (generally as you drop bass/increase treble you also lose mids). Dimarzios offerings that have the mids and highs I want unfortunately also seem to have over stated bass and low mids.

Re: Is there a pickup that does this?

Interesting question. I have several PATB's, and none of them are overbearing in bass, or lack high-end clarity. But, our ears are different.

One thing to try, (if you already own a PATB), would be to do the de-mud mod on it. 500k resistor in parallel with a .01uf cap, which then are soldered in series with the red/white wires. Taking out that wee smidgen of bass, might bring in that little extra treble you want. Maybe.

Comment

Thought about that but I definitely want more highs not just tighter bass

Comment

as you roll off the bass, it usually seems like there is more high end content so might be worth a try. especially since its cheap, easy, and reversible

Comment

i like to add a highpass to neck pickups.
          if you chose the series capacitor too small it gets very bright!
          jeremy is right. it doesn't add highs but the perceived highs are way stronger/more dominant

Comment

You can sort of do this with the VFE tilt shift EQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Artie is too modest. We affectionately refer to that de-mud as "Artie's De-Mud Mod".

Artie and Jeremy are correct...take out a smidgeon of bass and the "perceived" treble goes up.

I assume you play through an amp. Might just try tweaking the bass and treble controls a bit.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

There's nothing else like a Parallel Axis humbucker in my experience. If the sound/feel of one is what you want, then you probably just need to tinker with magnets & electronics to make it do what you want. Closest pickup is probably the Custom 5, but the output and feel are rather different.

You could try a graphic or parametric EQ, the VFE looks like a pretty simple one to try. Assuming it's LPF/HPF are at the right frequencies.

The cheapest and easiest place to start in guitar mods is to see if you can get there with just a de-mud mod.

If de-mud mod isn't bright enough, you could try increasing from 250K to 500K or even 1M pots to emphasize brightness. Throw in the de-mud mod, and adjust height a bit to get mids where you want. If you really want to throw money at it, perhaps get the custom shop to do a silver-wound PATB-1b? That'll increase output and brightness...

PATB-1b does some odd things when you adjust distance from the strings, I found a range where the mids just dropped out, but the bass & treble were emphasized, sounded like a cross between a giant piano and a tele. Maybe A3 magnet and play with height? A3 cuts a lot of output and bass compared to A5, has more mids, but smoother high frequencies. Shouldn't need bass cut electronics with A3.

Or you could do try an A9 magnet, and Artie's De-Mud Mod. Idea being increase mids, then adjust so they drop out and highs are emphasized, then cut bass with electronics.

Comment

Talk to these guys, they are awesome.
                  Guitar pickups made custom for you. Trust the experts at Porter Pickups. Designed for Strat, Tele, Humbucker & more. Built in the USA since 2008.
                  Jackson Custom Tele
                  Epiphone G400 PRO
                  Marshall DSL40C w/V30
                  GLS Audio
                  Ernie Ball
                  Dunlop
                  SD-1

Play music to skate too 🤙

Comment

You can certainly order your dream pickup from the Custom Shop.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

As another low cost experiment, have you tried it with a Ceramic magnet?

Comment

1 meg volume and a bass roll off knob.
                        The things that you wanted
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Hey Frank. Haven't seen you posting for a while. Welcome back. Your guitars keeping you too busy?
                          Last edited by GuitarDoc; 02-20-2020, 09:07 AM.
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
                            As another low cost experiment, have you tried it with a Ceramic magnet?
                            I think this is a super solid suggestion. The PATB wind/design should handle a ceramic swap with ease and I bet the end result is very close to what the OP is after.

Comment

Isn’t a PATB with a ceramic just a PATB Distortion?

This struck me as sig-worthy:

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                              I assume you play through an amp. Might just try tweaking the bass and treble controls a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X