Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: My new Baby Plexi (Marshall SV20C) amp.

  1. #1
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    In a Studio with your Mom
    Posts
    5,921

    Default My new Baby Plexi (Marshall SV20C) amp.

    Well fellas, It's amazing but I'm swapping it out... It really nails vintage Marshall vintage Plexi ina 20W/5W form factor -but the Celestion V Type 10" just can't hang at high volumes without the bottom getting really loose. This combo sounds incredible at 50-75% but that's not enough for anything but the studio or solo. And it's sounds even more incredible driving my Greenbacks. but I really wanted a little Plexi combo to travel for backup and thought maybe this could do it, but it's just not quite enough. If it was as loud and consistent at all volumes like a 22W Deluxe -I'd be all in. -but that 10" speaker is the problem -not the amp.

    However, for a studio or home, this would be an absolute little muthaf*cka -can't recommend it enough. The touch sensitivity, classic growl, and unmistakable tone are all there in this little amp.

    I'm going to swap this out for the SV20H and pair it with a G12 Greenback or V30 cabinet -and then I'll have something more to my need -unfortunately Marshall doesn't offer a 12" version of this yet in a combo... when they do, I'll probably be in for that %100.

    I shot a quick cell phone vid rocking on it before I packed it up, I'll go to the trouble and professionally mic the SV20H version I've got coming which is the identical amp without the 10" combo form factor.



    Last edited by NegativeEase; 02-14-2020 at 11:30 AM.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

  2. #2
    Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Jax, FL
    Age
    66
    Posts
    19,821

    Default Re: My new Baby Plexi (Marshall SV20C) amp.

    That sounded pretty good. Not bad for a cellphone mic. How did you upload that vid without doing YT?

  3. #3
    PenultimateTone Member Demanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Phoenix area.
    Age
    53
    Posts
    16,092

    Default Re: My new Baby Plexi (Marshall SV20C) amp.

    You should try a C-Rex speaker. But I still don't think that you'll get a tight low end out of that amp at high volume.

    Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    In a Studio with your Mom
    Posts
    5,921

    Default Re: My new Baby Plexi (Marshall SV20C) amp.

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    That sounded pretty good. Not bad for a cellphone mic. How did you upload that vid without doing YT?
    Thanks. Vimeo embed.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

  5. #5
    LoveMachineologist jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    albany, ny
    Age
    43
    Posts
    30,798

    Default Re: My new Baby Plexi (Marshall SV20C) amp.

    im sure a better 10" would work better but i think the head/cab is probably the way to go. if nothing else having a greenback loaded cab and a v30 or g12h loaded cab would give you some tonal and volume options. cool amp for sure! impressed each time i hear one

  6. #6
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    In a Studio with your Mom
    Posts
    5,921

    Default Re: My new Baby Plexi (Marshall SV20C) amp.

    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    im sure a better 10" would work better but i think the head/cab is probably the way to go. if nothing else having a greenback loaded cab and a v30 or g12h loaded cab would give you some tonal and volume options. cool amp for sure! impressed each time i hear one
    yeah, I was trying to avoid a head and cab, but looks like I have to go that route.

    It's definitely an impressive amp -especially for recording.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

  7. #7
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    In a Studio with your Mom
    Posts
    5,921

    Default Re: My new Baby Plexi (Marshall SV20C) amp.

    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    You should try a C-Rex speaker. But I still don't think that you'll get a tight low end out of that amp at high volume.

    Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
    I'll have to look that one up -thanks.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

  8. #8
    LoveMachineologist jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    albany, ny
    Age
    43
    Posts
    30,798

    Default Re: My new Baby Plexi (Marshall SV20C) amp.

    it might be worth trying a better speaker before you ditch the combo if thats really what you would prefer. i dont care for the v type speakers all that much, not bad, but not good. eminence, weber, and celestion all make some damn fine 10" speakers. weber ceramic 10vs might be sweet for example

  9. #9
    Ultimate Post Liker solspirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Age
    52
    Posts
    11,611

    Default Re: My new Baby Plexi (Marshall SV20C) amp.

    Tweak it man. Try speaker swap before you ditch it.

  10. #10
    BadHairDayologist Empty Pockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    repeated exposure to high sound levels (more than 80 decibels)
    Age
    33
    Posts
    11,903

    Default Re: My new Baby Plexi (Marshall SV20C) amp.

    I love the Celstion G10F-15 in my Marshall Class 5. Maybe try another speaker.
    green globe burned black by sunn

  11. #11
    PenultimateTone Member Demanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Phoenix area.
    Age
    53
    Posts
    16,092

    Default Re: My new Baby Plexi (Marshall SV20C) amp.

    Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    I'll have to look that one up -thanks.
    I'm not sure if they make them in a 10" version. It's a great Eminence speaker though. 50 watts and rated at 103db efficiency. I've run my little 5 watt Picovalve through one for years.

    Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Mojo's Minions Ascension's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Birmingham Alabama
    Age
    62
    Posts
    5,633

    Default Re: My new Baby Plexi (Marshall SV20C) amp.

    WGS ET 10 it's what's in my Mesa 20 Watt Subway Rocket here. Biggest sounding and tightest 10 I have ever used by far!
    Last edited by Ascension; 02-14-2020 at 09:10 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

  13. #13
    Mojo's Minions devastone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Longmont, CO, USA
    Posts
    6,011

    Default Re: My new Baby Plexi (Marshall SV20C) amp.

    That Marshall should sound massive through a closed back 1-12!

  14. #14
    LoveMachineologist jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    albany, ny
    Age
    43
    Posts
    30,798

    Default Re: My new Baby Plexi (Marshall SV20C) amp.

    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    I'm not sure if they make them in a 10" version. It's a great Eminence speaker though. 50 watts and rated at 103db efficiency. I've run my little 5 watt Picovalve through one for years.

    Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
    they do make a crex10 but its not as efficient, not sure what it sounds like either but i like the 12 for a smokey/warm speaker

  15. #15
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    In a Studio with your Mom
    Posts
    5,921

    Default Re: My new Baby Plexi (Marshall SV20C) amp.

    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    it might be worth trying a better speaker before you ditch the combo if thats really what you would prefer. i dont care for the v type speakers all that much, not bad, but not good. eminence, weber, and celestion all make some damn fine 10" speakers. weber ceramic 10vs might be sweet for example
    My amp guy last night said the same thing, the Webber's larger magnet will keep the the low end together more effectively.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

  16. #16
    Mojo's Minions Ascension's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Birmingham Alabama
    Age
    62
    Posts
    5,633

    Default Re: My new Baby Plexi (Marshall SV20C) amp.

    Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    My amp guy last night said the same thing, the Webber's larger magnet will keep the the low end together more effectively.
    Keep suggesting the WGS ET 10 for a reason. I ran 2/10 Fender Prosonic combos for years and now am running the 1/10 Boogie Subway, the ET 10 is the best sounding 10 under gain I have used. Is it just like having a 12 no but it is the biggest roundest and tightest 10 I have used.
    Here is the info from WGS on the speaker.
    https://wgsusa.com/et10
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

  17. #17
    LoveMachineologist jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    albany, ny
    Age
    43
    Posts
    30,798

    Default Re: My new Baby Plexi (Marshall SV20C) amp.

    that weber i mentioned is really nice, still very british sounding to not stray from the classic marshall tones. big magnet, like 40w power handling i think, big voice coil, nice cone, pretty efficient, doesnt fart out, good top end without being shrill... it ticks all the boxes for me. havent tried the et10 but ive heard good things

  18. #18
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    In a Studio with your Mom
    Posts
    5,921

    Default Re: My new Baby Plexi (Marshall SV20C) amp.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Keep suggesting the WGS ET 10 for a reason. I ran 2/10 Fender Prosonic combos for years and now am running the 1/10 Boogie Subway, the ET 10 is the best sounding 10 under gain I have used. Is it just like having a 12 no but it is the biggest roundest and tightest 10 I have used.
    Here is the info from WGS on the speaker.
    https://wgsusa.com/et10
    my trust is building with you sir... lol
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

  19. #19
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    In a Studio with your Mom
    Posts
    5,921

    Default Re: My new Baby Plexi (Marshall SV20C) amp.

    Thanks for all the input

    So I have a 70W 12" Celestion V Type -that when driven by a Bassman or Deluxe is super tight and just slightly scoopy -I'm going to do a test today and drive the 12" directly and see if the bass gets loose above 80% drive from the plexi -this way I'll know if it's the speaker size/rating or the plexi circuit changing characteristics once in the very red.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •