No announcement yet.

My new Baby Plexi (Marshall SV20C) amp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Baby Plexi (Marshall SV20C) amp.

Well fellas, It's amazing but I'm swapping it out... It really nails vintage Marshall vintage Plexi ina 20W/5W form factor -but the Celestion V Type 10" just can't hang at high volumes without the bottom getting really loose. This combo sounds incredible at 50-75% but that's not enough for anything but the studio or solo. And it's sounds even more incredible driving my Greenbacks. but I really wanted a little Plexi combo to travel for backup and thought maybe this could do it, but it's just not quite enough. If it was as loud and consistent at all volumes like a 22W Deluxe -I'd be all in. -but that 10" speaker is the problem -not the amp.

However, for a studio or home, this would be an absolute little muthaf*cka -can't recommend it enough. The touch sensitivity, classic growl, and unmistakable tone are all there in this little amp.

I'm going to swap this out for the SV20H and pair it with a G12 Greenback or V30 cabinet -and then I'll have something more to my need -unfortunately Marshall doesn't offer a 12" version of this yet in a combo... when they do, I'll probably be in for that %100.

I shot a quick cell phone vid rocking on it before I packed it up, I'll go to the trouble and professionally mic the SV20H version I've got coming which is the identical amp without the 10" combo form factor.

This is "Testing out Marshall SV20C" by Baby Plexi on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

Last edited by NegativeEase; 02-14-2020, 01:30 PM.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Re: My new Baby Plexi (Marshall SV20C) amp.

That sounded pretty good. Not bad for a cellphone mic. How did you upload that vid without doing YT?

Comment

You should try a C-Rex speaker. But I still don't think that you'll get a tight low end out of that amp at high volume.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        That sounded pretty good. Not bad for a cellphone mic. How did you upload that vid without doing YT?
        Thanks. Vimeo embed.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

im sure a better 10" would work better but i think the head/cab is probably the way to go. if nothing else having a greenback loaded cab and a v30 or g12h loaded cab would give you some tonal and volume options. cool amp for sure! impressed each time i hear one

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            im sure a better 10" would work better but i think the head/cab is probably the way to go. if nothing else having a greenback loaded cab and a v30 or g12h loaded cab would give you some tonal and volume options. cool amp for sure! impressed each time i hear one
            yeah, I was trying to avoid a head and cab, but looks like I have to go that route.

It's definitely an impressive amp -especially for recording.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              You should try a C-Rex speaker. But I still don't think that you'll get a tight low end out of that amp at high volume.

I'll have to look that one up -thanks.

Comment

it might be worth trying a better speaker before you ditch the combo if thats really what you would prefer. i dont care for the v type speakers all that much, not bad, but not good. eminence, weber, and celestion all make some damn fine 10" speakers. weber ceramic 10vs might be sweet for example

Comment

Tweak it man. Try speaker swap before you ditch it.

Comment

I love the Celstion G10F-15 in my Marshall Class 5. Maybe try another speaker.
                    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                      I'll have to look that one up -thanks.
                      I'm not sure if they make them in a 10" version. It's a great Eminence speaker though. 50 watts and rated at 103db efficiency. I've run my little 5 watt Picovalve through one for years.

Comment

WGS ET 10 it's what's in my Mesa 20 Watt Subway Rocket here. Biggest sounding and tightest 10 I have ever used by far!
                        Last edited by Ascension; 02-14-2020, 11:10 PM.
                        Guitars
                        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

That Marshall should sound massive through a closed back 1-12!

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                            I'm not sure if they make them in a 10" version. It's a great Eminence speaker though. 50 watts and rated at 103db efficiency. I've run my little 5 watt Picovalve through one for years.

they do make a crex10 but its not as efficient, not sure what it sounds like either but i like the 12 for a smokey/warm speaker

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                              it might be worth trying a better speaker before you ditch the combo if thats really what you would prefer. i dont care for the v type speakers all that much, not bad, but not good. eminence, weber, and celestion all make some damn fine 10" speakers. weber ceramic 10vs might be sweet for example
                              My amp guy last night said the same thing, the Webber's larger magnet will keep the the low end together more effectively.

Comment

Working...
                              X