banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody ever physically broken a plastic-cased pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anybody ever physically broken a plastic-cased pedal?

Nope. I’ve had a few I gigged with for years. The worst that happened was a broken knob shaft on an Ibanez SoundTank because I dropped it. I have a few really old plastic pedals. They don’t break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
      Are any of the new TCs a clone of the hyper/super-fuzz?

I'm on the Sweetwater back-order list for the sf300 super-fuzz for $25.
      After a couple years of diligently hunting for a non-price-inflated hyper I decided that the $25 clone is worth a shot for a fun toy.
      Maybe they'll do a waza hyper soon.
      Not that I know off, the tc lineup has one based on the ultra fuzz/boss fz3. I have tge sf300, its not an exact clone but similar in tone to the fz2. Differences are the kind that wont matter in a bad way, if any are noticeable.
      A waza reissue of the fz2 would be nice. I'm huntung a mxr jimi octavio fuzz on the cheap.
      Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
      Is the Behringer eq pedal buffered or true bypass? None of the product descriptions seem to say.
      The plastic ones are almost all buffered, can't think of any that might be truebypass, the new tc line are indeed true bypass.

Comment

It just makes me want to rebrand a bunch of Joyo pedals and add some lead to the inside of the cases. I can picture the reviews: "it is a really quality build with a lot of heft!" "You can feel the quality when you pick it up!" And maybe "Feels as solid as a Sherman tank."
        I'll go in on that with you! Joyo makes some good sounding stuff.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

At the end of the day there are likely minimal differences in the cost of the innards. The various lines do have different sales points/markets though.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Danelectro pedals are cool sounding pedals, but I've seen many broken -their construction quality is terrible, and I broke an Arion tuner before.... but I played in some bands years ago where the crowd would come onstage for the finale and thats when things got broken.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Oh yeah! I still have a Danelectro Mini Compressor that is plastic, and still going. It is sort of a copy of a Dyna Comp, and it sounds great. Even left it in the shed in Florida for many years- the plastic still hasn't cracked.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Oh yeah! I still have a Danelectro Mini Compressor that is plastic, and still going. It is sort of a copy of a Dyna Comp, and it sounds great. Even left it in the shed in Florida for many years- the plastic still hasn't cracked.
                Mine were from dropping them or some fat kid on stage jumping around during a set finale and smashing it.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Speaking of cheap plastic parts: I was surprised to find out just today that MXR uses plastic pots in their pedals. Seems pretty risky considering how often knobs accidentally get bumped around and stepped on.
                  --------------------------------------------------------
                  1973 Aria 551
                  1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                  1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                  1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                  1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                  1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                  2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                    Speaking of cheap plastic parts: I was surprised to find out just today that MXR uses plastic pots in their pedals. Seems pretty risky considering how often knobs accidentally get bumped around and stepped on.
                    I guess that is a good example of my point: a lot more goes into a durable, quality pedal than just a heavy case. Pots and jacks are all I really care about. Granted, the super cheap pedals skimp on those items but so do some more expensive pedal makers.

Comment

HA!
                      That was their mistake, they didn't add extra weight to the cases! ("No way is this pedal a Joyo - it weighs twice as much! I can FEEL the quality!!"
                      My Joyo Ultimate Drive is in a regular aluminum case just like every other pedal. It’s an exact copy of an OCD. It cost $20 new. [emoji2371]

Comment

I had one for a while. But, you know, it wasn't heavy enough so it had to go...

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                          My Joyo Ultimate Drive is in a regular aluminum case just like every other pedal. It’s an exact copy of an OCD. It cost $20 new. [emoji2371]

I pulled apart Joyo Voodoo Octave a while back. Those things are built like tanks.

The PCB was glued solid, with thick copper coating both sides, making cutting it a ridiculously difficult task.
                          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

My only plastic pedal TS-5 that was destroyed was schnauzerized. He took it from a book shell and chew tested it. It did not pass the test. Maybe some parts passed, but that is another story.

Comment

Come to think of it though, the only pedal I've ever owned that was lightweight was a DOD Looking Glass and that definitely had a very cheap feel to it. Metal casing though. Apparently enough people had expressed concern about it that the manufacturer had to address the issue online. Supposedly, they had gone for some alloy that was lighter than usual but it was supposed to be able to take a beating all the same. My issue with that pedal (apart from the very high noise floor) was how cheap everything beside the case felt.
                              --------------------------------------------------------
                              1973 Aria 551
                              1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                              1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                              1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                              1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                              2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Just picked this up for $25. The plastic case does not feel flimsy at all. And it has a thick steel baseplate so it weighs about as much as my diecast pedals.

I can’t image breaking this in regular use. I’d have to whack it with a hammer.

This thing sounds really good too. Can’t wait to get it on my pedal board and try it at rehearsal on Monday night. It’s replacing a Joyo Ultimate Drive (OCD clone). The Joyo is too smooth sounding for what I’m going for. It gets lost in a crunchy amp.

Comment

Working...
                                X