X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordering Custom SD Pickups in Europe

Hey there,
    I'm located in Germany.
    I thought about getting one of those new parchment coloured pickups from SD, mostly since no other company else seems to make them. The one on my Jazzmaster humbuckers quit service from all the stage sweat and moist.

Does anyone has experience with the shipping and taxes from deliveries?
    Even my (more or less) local shop, that is an authorized SD dealer, can't tell my anything about it cause no one ever ordered custom PUs.

Alternativ:
    Are there worldwide available or (EU) local PU manufacturers that offer parchment PUs?
    My local guitar luthier could wind PUs, but no parchment ones.

Years of owning a Gibson Guitar made me more of a luthier than a guitarist

Re: Ordering Custom SD Pickups in Europe

Well I can't really speak to experiences I Europe, but I am in Canada which also presents some difficulties. I buy all my stuff on eBay or straight from vendor websites in the United States

I have had great experiences buying from darrenriley.com , he usually stocks all kinds of options for different pickups so he might actually have what you're looking for in stock right now. He'll have stuff like 4 conductor 59's, or JB's in all different colors with and without logos. I'm not a big fan of logos on pickups so I've bought a few sets from him with no logos and he had them in stock. personally haven't been hit with any import tax on any pickups I've bought from the United States for several years now, but don't know how it is in Europe. you can email them or call them during business hours too and they'll help you with a purchase

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

warwick is the importer for germany.
      they are willing to do custom shop orders.
      ask them for a quote

Comment

It's possibile, but it's a long, expensive and painful process, with no 21-day exchange guarantee and no take-backs.

The p'ups known as Custom Floor Shop models are sold at full Custom Shop prices, and turnover time ranges from three to six months.

/Peter
        Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
        Kolding, Denmark

Comment

If your local shop is an authorized dealer, they can go over the ordering process with you. If they don't know it, they need to contact SD and get accurate answers. Here in the US, it takes about a month or so from customer to dealer, to SD, to dealer to customer. So it would certainly be longer than that.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Discharged View Post
            It's possibile, but it's a long, expensive and painful process, with no 21-day exchange guarantee and no take-backs.

The p'ups known as Custom Floor Shop models are sold at full Custom Shop prices, and turnover time ranges from three to six months.

/Peter
            I beg to differ. I mean, I haven't ordered a full blown Custom Shop yet, but a Shop Floor Custom was like a 20-30 USD upcharge. I'm not rich, but adding 25 to an already 200+ PUP set for a custom color bobbin is anything but expensive. Also, the no take back policy is is in efectat every company doing custom work and I fully understand why. If the company does everything to the user's specs, but it turns out that the user doesn't like his/her own specs, then why should the company take it back and lose money? Despite all this I agree that it can be a quite long process. My dealer told me it starts from 6 weeks plus shipping... also having a good dealer, who is in good relationship with SD office and/or moves a lot of units can help too... According to the SD site, Shop Floor Custom is only appicable to standard spaced humbuckers, but they did it for my trembucker anyways... And in my opinion doing it through a local dealer is the way to go: you don't have to deal with xustoms, taxes, import fess, do all the paperwork blabla... Not to mention the post office/carrier.

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
              I beg to differ. I mean, I haven't ordered a full blown Custom Shop yet, but a Shop Floor Custom was like a 20-30 USD upcharge. I'm not rich, but adding 25 to an already 200+ PUP set for a custom color bobbin is anything but expensive. Also, the no take back policy is is in efectat every company doing custom work and I fully understand why. If the company does everything to the user's specs, but it turns out that the user doesn't like his/her own specs, then why should the company take it back and lose money? Despite all this I agree that it can be a quite long process. My dealer told me it starts from 6 weeks plus shipping... also having a good dealer, who is in good relationship with SD office and/or moves a lot of units can help too... According to the SD site, Shop Floor Custom is only appicable to standard spaced humbuckers, but they did it for my trembucker anyways... And in my opinion doing it through a local dealer is the way to go: you don't have to deal with xustoms, taxes, import fess, do all the paperwork blabla... Not to mention the post office/carrier.
              This is exactly how I understand it. I also understand it might be hard to wait for 6 weeks + for a pickup, too.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I beg to differ.
                What country in Europe do you refer to your experience?

/Peter
                Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Originally posted by Discharged View Post
                  What country in Europe do you refer to your experience?

/Peter
                  Buckle up for a surprise: I'm in the middle of the Wild East, Hungary. Actually I am surprised too, that I have any sort of positive experience with a shop/dealer/luthier. Somehow it just isn't the norm over here. At least in my experience.

Comment

Buckle up for a surprise: I'm in the middle of the Wild East, Hungary. Actually I am surprised too, that I have any sort of positive experience with a shop/dealer/luthier. Somehow it just isn't the norm over here. At least in my experience.
                    I can tell you for my personal experiences and my friends abroad in Italy, France, UK, Spain, Belgium and Luxembourg, that your experience actually was the exception that confirms the rule.

Hell, I prefer to shop at banjomikez and go through the administrative iter, paying all the fees, customs and VAT than to buy retail. Not only I usually end up paying less, but I get exactly what I want, following and not what the importer's impose me to buy, as it doesn't store all items, and does custom orders for retail p'ups not carried only twice a year. I may even try your country, if the price's right. I've been treated pretty well in Slovakia and Poland, although not Seymour Duncan stuff specifically, ergo I why not?

/Peter
                    Kolding, Denmark

Comment

I'm afraid my experience is more in line with that of Discharged. I live in Spain and was planning on ordering what should have been a shop floor custom a few years back.

At the €300 I was quoted it seemed a little excessive as I could have a pickup custom wound to my specs for less by many European winders, so I didn't go ahead with it.
                      Last edited by playas; 02-17-2020, 08:41 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                      X