Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Hard Rock tone - pickup change

Hi!
    I love rythm (bridge tone) AC/DC and Gun n Roses. Sound's very rock not metal.
    And I love Slash pouring warm neck tone. Especially knocking on heavens door first solo.
    Both use Gibson. But I have H-H strat. What pickups allow you to get closer to this sound?
    I suspect that I will need 250k or 300k pots.

Re: Big Hard Rock tone - pickup change

You should be fine with the Alnico Pro II set with 500k pots. That's how I'd do it. Maybe the Slash set or the Pearly Gates set, but for your use I think I'd go for the A2Pro's .

An alternative would be a 59 in the bridge with the A2Pro in the neck. I do have a guitar with that combo and I love it. The 59 in the bridge gets awesome cleans if you're into bridge cleans, or very light overdrive, it's just gorgeous

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

All of these tones are low output humbuckers. Slashs tone especially is the amp doing a lot of heavy lifting. The KOHD solo is a vintage V with a PAF.
      The strat will make the tone a bit more open than full compared to a Les Paul. So maybe something like the WLH or Saturday night special might help with extra fullness.

Comment

Yeah, I'd stay with an Alnico 2-based pickups. I love those sounds, too, but I use a Strat-alike. I use an Alnico II Pro, and a Custom Custom.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

There is a set of Slash A2 pickups for sale in the trading post section. Seems like a decent price to check them out and if you don’t like them, you could easily could flip them.
          Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Travis makes a good point: buy used and you can usually get your money back by reselling if you don't like them.

On the other hand, if you buy Duncans new from an authorized dealer I believe you can swap them for different ones for 30 days?

Not to hijack the thread, but what's that guitar, Travis? Looks cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
              Travis makes a good point: buy used and you can usually get your money back by reselling if you don't like them.

On the other hand, if you buy Duncans new from an authorized dealer I believe you can swap them for different ones for 30 days?

You have 21 Days, and only in the USA.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG View Post
                Hi!
                I love rythm (bridge tone) AC/DC and Gun n Roses. Sound's very rock not metal.
                And I love Slash pouring warm neck tone. Especially knocking on heavens door first solo.
                Both use Gibson. But I have H-H strat. What pickups allow you to get closer to this sound?
                I suspect that I will need 250k or 300k pots.
                2 different tones here . The Slash tone with that soft slightly compressed attack warm round tone is an A2 mag like the Slash set PG set up or the Alnico II pros. The AC DC tones are more A 5 or 4 think WLH set or I think closer is the SNS set.
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post

It’s a 2007 Hamer Talladega. Chambered mahogany body with carved Flame maple top. 25.5” Scale, set maple neck with rosewood fretboard.
                  Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

The alnico 2 pro set is a good option.
                    perfect slash on the neck (although in a chambered guitar you might be better of with the APH-2 slash neck)
                    The A2P bridge is not cutting enough for AC/DC in my opinion, so you could mag swap it to an A5 -> that makes it a Jazz bridge -> not too shabby for AC/DC! maybe UOA5 is enough.

or go Pearly gates in the Bridge! this is a fine Pickup for Angus tone. should be fine for slash's sound with the gain cranked and maybe the tone a lil down.
                    Last edited by ToneFiddler; 02-16-2020, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                      2 different tones here . The Slash tone with that soft slightly compressed attack warm round tone is an A2 mag like the Slash set PG set up or the Alnico II pros. The AC DC tones are more A 5 or 4 think WLH set or I think closer is the SNS set.
                      A2 pickups don't always have to sound like that, see Pearly Gates or High Voltage Humbucker set. Had the same opinion on A2 pickups until i tried those two sets, but yes i agree the A2Ps don't cut enough for AC/DC.

Comment

PATB-3 for the bridge and PG for the neck...

B
                        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Slash set makes a lot of sense, but you’re talking about 2 Gibson players and you have a Strat. Based on that, I’ll offer for consideration the JB/59 combo. It’s a little more 80s metal than classic rock, but it will give some girth to the Strat that you might not get with some of the other recommendations which were designed more for a Les Paul.

You’re never going to nail those tones with a Strat, but I think the JB/59 will get you in the ballpark.

Comment

Working...
                          X