Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duncan pickup that sounds like a Tone Zone

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
    He was saying the Duncan employee is an idiot, NOT YOU!
    Aceman expresses his opinions a but strongly sometimes but he doesn't typically insult anyone asking questions.

I hope you love the Slash.

Btw, Frank Falbo is a professional who designs pickups. If he says the P-rail comes close to the Tone Zone then I believe him.
    I do like Slash, though I guess not enough for my first choice to be a Slash pickup, since I went with an SH11. As for the P-Rail, it’s a fine pickup, and I have a set in a Warmoth Jaguar I put together some years back. After the suggestion was made, I played the Tone Zone and the P-Rails side by side, granted in very different guitars. At least in those particular guitars the two don’t sound much like alike. Both the highs and the bottom end sound pretty different. The Tone Zone is much more articulate when compared to the a P Rail in series. I don’t have it wired up for parallel, so can’t speak to that. I also haven’t tried the other P-Rails versions. Again though, it’s a nice pickup.

Comment

BTW I don’t think the two are sound-alikes. The magnetic circuit is totally different so unless you rotate the P-Rails 180° you miss some of the information closer to the bridge. That’s what happens with a P90 also, but if you’re focused only on the HB tone then flipping the P-Rails in the bridge can be cool.

Anyway I’m only saying it’s the closest in terms of tech specs. Otherwise you’d have to make some kind of hybrid but Duncan doesn’t really have the comparable individual coils.

Comment

Originally posted by NJLK View Post
        Most people here seem to think there is no SD pickup, which would be similar to the Tone Zone. So, I’m willing to try something different. How does that make me an idiot?
        Not you - the tech that recommended the Slash set. I'm flat out saying that that guy has no idea what he is talking about. No one here is even saying you won't like the Slash set. You might love it. But it is not in any way, shape, form, or tone, a Tone Zone.

His response was roughly the equivalent of saying "If you want a pickup that sounds like a Duncan Distortion, try a Duncan 59". There is just not a defensible explanation , and everyone here knows it. Falbo said it best.

That is not a statement about you. It is a statement about who/how Duncan has answering the phones these days.
        And there are many out here that know and love the Slash set.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Invader swapped w/A5 might be the closest. Just guessing.

Comment

I think a JB with an A8 is kind of in that direction, but still not th same thing at all. Not even close.

Comment

Well, the Slash bridge pickup is installed, and I have to say: I’m very pleasantly surprised. First of all, it works really well in my Les Paul Classic. It’s a pretty bright guitar, and I was worried that the combination would be too bright. It’s not. Works really well. The pickup is also very versatile and fits the bill for me very well, while also being pretty different from my Tone Zone-equipped Les Paul Tribute. So, I now have a very nice variety of sounds (which was the idea when I originally went with a Duncan pickup). But, my biggest surprise is that the pickup sounds pretty different when compared to a regular Alnico II Pro bridge pickup. Maybe it is a difference in guitars or wiring or pots, or whatever, but it seems to cut through much better than my friend’s APH1b equipped LP. A little sweeter sounding, too.

Anyway, thanks for everyone’s input!

Comment

I'd go with a norton in a les paul over a tone zone. Same kind of sound with less bottom end. Perhaps at1 too?

Guys say the dimarzio transition is a better tone zone too.

If the duncan exchange doesnt bear fruit, I'd research the above.

Comment

I like the Slash pickup, so I’m all set for now. But, will definitely keep the Transition in mind for the future. Thanks!

Comment

Glad you dig it. I know it isn't what you came in thinking you wanted, but now you've been exposed to something new and it has paid off.

The Duncan employee got lucky on this one, but not because he knew better. Other players would have been pretty upset if they were expecting "Tone Zone" and got "Slash", ha ha!

Comment

To be fair, he didn’t claim that the Slash pickup is similar to a Tone Zone. And, like I said before, I originally purchased a Duncan pickup because I wanted to try something different. The question about a similar pickup to a Tone Zone was more of Hail Mary to salvage the situation. The tech just went over what I’m looking to get out of the pickup and suggested the Slash pickup as something that different that could work well. And, he was right. So, I appreciate his help, as I do everyone else’s on here.

Comment

Originally posted by NJLK View Post
                        To be fair, he didn’t claim that the Slash pickup is similar to a Tone Zone. And, like I said before, I originally purchased a Duncan pickup because I wanted to try something different. The question about a similar pickup to a Tone Zone was more of Hail Mary to salvage the situation. The tech just went over what I’m looking to get out of the pickup and suggested the Slash pickup as something that different that could work well. And, he was right. So, I appreciate his help, as I do everyone else’s on here.
                        Nothing to hate about the Slash. Like I said - a lot of people dig it.

Your next move, though is clear: Get another Les Paul and put an Air Norton / Tone Zone set in it. Then you can play either!

Comment

Agree with everything you said except the Air Norton part. Never liked that pickup. A P90 in the neck matches a Tone Zone really well, though.

Comment

Yeah, I'd skip the Air Norton, too...a big bag of "meh" right there

Comment

Working...
                            X