Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duncan pickup that sounds like a Tone Zone

Originally posted by NJLK View Post
    Thanks for everyone’s input. I spoke to a Seymour Duncan tech and asked about the Alternative 8, JB, Duncan Distortion, etc. his recommendation was to go with the Slash version of the Alnico II Pro, as it’s got more output and more mids and bass than the standard Alnico II Pro. So, that’s what I went with. If that doesn’t work, I’ll just go with the Tone Zone.

For what it’s worth, his opinion was that the pickups mentioned above wouldn’t really have good clean tones and the Slash pickup is one of their overall most versatile. So...we’ll see.

Thanks again!
    I'm just going to call that guy an idiot. Wait and see.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The OP might still like what the Slash brings to the table, especially if he hasn't tried that type of pickup before.

That said, the "tech" suggesting you can't get good clean tones with the other pickups mentioned shows just how little the SD frontline knows about their own products (or its competitor's products). I suppose "good" is subjective, but there are so many ways to gleam wonderful clean tones from hotter pickups, it's not even funny

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        Gotta agree with Ace on this one...

Me: I love bananas

Tech: GREAT! Try brussel sprouts!
        “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post

The Slash pickup is brussle sprouts? Geeze man. Harsh review.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            The Slash pickup is brussle sprouts? Geeze man. Harsh review.

I only wanted to illustrate how different they! Maybe bananas and tomatoes? Tomatoes are still fruit!
            “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post

i loves brussles sprouts! roasted with garlic and bacon is extra good... yum. bananas are fine too

Comment

I think you'll like the Slash, it might not be as hot as the tone zone but I can't see why you wouldn't like it anyway. The A2Pro is one of Seymour's most magical recipes. You'll definitely be in the zone of tone.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  WTF?

Comment

Don't read into Ace's response too much. He's just pointing out that most of us wouldn't connect the Slash pickup with "Tone Zone" sound, but who knows...the SD guy could be on to something. Give the Slash a try.

Comment

The Slash set is a little hotter and warmer sounding than the original A2Pro's, but it's still vintage-esque in terms of output.

Personally, I think the SD guy missed the mark and is showing a clear bias toward lower-output pickups (suggesting higher output pickups can't get a "good clean sound"? ), but hey, that's what the company's exchange policy is for, right?

Comment

The Slash pickup is basically in no way compatible with a Tone Zone preference. Not electrically, not magnetically, not in the resonant peak....

That doesn't mean the OP won’t like it, and we weren’t on the phone call so we don’t know what was said on either side.

As far as hard science, the P-Rails and P-Rails Hot are actually probably the closest in terms of a broad (dual) resonant peak and resistive loading, rounded off treble...and you can rotate them 180° to influence the tone.

Comment

I don't think the Slash set is dark. Smooth (for a vintage-type), sure. Dark? No way, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by grumptruck
                            The A2Pro's are like some of the lowest output pickups around.

Nothing about A2's have anything similar at all to the Tone Zone.... besides being darker.
                            Most people here seem to think there is no SD pickup, which would be similar to the Tone Zone. So, I’m willing to try something different. How does that make me an idiot?

Comment

The Duncan Slash set is one of my favorite Duncan set, but it really does not remind me of the Tone Zone in any way. No Duncan pickup really does. The JB with an A2 is about the most similar Duncan I can think of to the Tone Zone, but it is still its own thing as well. I see Tone Zones and Paf Pros used on Ebay pretty often if you are patient and want to try it at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by NJLK View Post
                                Most people here seem to think there is no SD pickup, which would be similar to the Tone Zone. So, I’m willing to try something different. How does that make me an idiot?
                                He was saying the Duncan employee is an idiot, NOT YOU!
                                Aceman expresses his opinions a but strongly sometimes but he doesn't typically insult anyone asking questions.

I hope you love the Slash.

Btw, Frank Falbo is a professional who designs pickups. If he says the P-rail comes close to the Tone Zone then I believe him.

Comment

Working...
                                X