banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breaking-in guitar speaker, What difference does it makes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking-in guitar speaker, What difference does it makes?

As many know, guitar speaker needs some breaking-in time to sound the best they could, but I was curious to find out what exactly changes as speaker "breaks in" So I compared speakers that I have played for last year and brand new speaker that been played just for couple minutes before recoding this video. I did my best to achieve exactly the same mic placement(dead center on cap, right in front of grill) but as you may know every single speaker sounds bit different from others, so on this video it's three old speakers and one new. I think that fresh speaker sounds more flubby, and somehow produces more unwanted frequencies and whereas "breaker-in" is more focussed and tighter with all frequencies that you want. But it's up to you to decide. Only thing to remember, that if you buy brand new cab or speaker, give it some good run at loud volumes before make your mind if you like cab or not

Re: Breaking-in guitar speaker, What difference does it makes?

Very interesting. I was going to start a thread about this. I think the brand new speaker does sound flubby for some reason. I would be interested to know more about the science of it. Why speakers don't come perfect, what happens during the time they get broken in, and how long it takes. I have a recording of the brand new flubby speaker.

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

I think it's simply when you have an electrical-to-mechanical interface, (and vice-versa), you need to flex the mechanical part. It's kinda why they used to need to break-in your car engine. Not so much in the 21st century. Phono cartridges are the same way. Mechanical-to-electrical. They need time to come "alive."

Comment

I have found this to be true. My Marshall combo was very woofy in the low end when I got it. But after a few months that went away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My G12H30's came flat and shrill, and loosened up in to brilliant speaker within 6 months. I don't think they we're flubby at all.
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I thought the new one had a boxier sound, the others were smoother , but what do I know I have constant ringing in my right ear

Comment

My V30s started off bright and shrill . . . but after playing full volume for a few hundred hours, they started to sound darker and with less high end. Actually, everything sounds darker and with less high end now. TV, songs, conversations. Can still hear lots of high end though . . . it's always ringing. :P
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                My V30s started off bright and shrill . . . but after playing full volume for a few hundred hours, they started to sound darker and with less high end. Actually, everything sounds darker and with less high end now. TV, songs, conversations. Can still hear lots of high end though . . . it's always ringing. :P
                Yes, but is it modulating?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

WHAT???? SPEAK UP SONNY!
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

What, no ASL?

Comment

That could be why I like 70/80's.

Comment

I know when I put a set of DT-10's in my Vibro King they changed significantly within the first couple of months. The highs mellowed and they just sounded smoother and more balanced as they broke in. Now they're amazing!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
                        -
                        My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

You'd think there would be a market for already broken-in speakers.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

^ I just made a sale on ebay for my lightly used, less than a year old, nice and broken in speaker for $55 or so minus tax and fees then paid $59.95 to ship it. Woohoo!
                            The things that you wanted
                            I bought them for you

Comment

My Vintage 30s are warmer and smoother sounding than my greenbacks. When I read about V30s being harsh and too bright, however, I remember they were indeed that way during the first year. Now mine are all at least 20 years old. That's evidence that break in combined with aging is a factor. I think people have an unrealistic expectation that a few weeks of normal playing of a new speaker will do the trick. It probably takes more than that. Also I wonder how many used cabs when sold have been barely used or used only a bedroom volumes.

You'd think there would be a market for already broken-in speakers.
                              Scumbacks come pre broke in, as do the Avatar Hellatone series. Scumback refers to their system as FBI for Full Break In. It is claimed that it is equivalent to 60+ hours at rock gig volumes.

Comment

Working...
                              X