banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 way switch diagram for 2 humbuckers 1 volume, 1 tone help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 way switch diagram for 2 humbuckers 1 volume, 1 tone help!

Hi,
    I am looking for a diagram that will work for: 1 volume pot, 1 tone pot, 2 humbuckers with a blade switch, preferably no push and pull just regular pots.

According to the members the only one I see in the SD diagrams with a regular 5 blade switch it won't work they way I want.

Ideally what I want is:

Position 1: Neck humbucker
    Position 2: Neck split coil
    Position 3: Both humbuckers
    Position 4: Bridge split coil
    position 5: Bridge humbucker

I'm assuming position 1 is the one pointing at the fret board and 5 the one aiming at the bridge. There is also the "super blade" option but the diagram in the SD doesn't tell me how it will switch, if you think it will work let me know. I found a couple of diagrams in guitar electronics.com but the graphics are a little hard to understand. Any idea of what diagram I should be looking at for what I want?
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Edward203; 02-17-2020, 12:25 PM.

Re: 5 way switch diagram for 2 humbuckers 1 volume, 1 tone help!

I did a similar thing (and wrote a blog about it). It keeps all positions hum-cancelling, but requires flipping a magnet.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I did a similar thing (and wrote a blog about it). It keeps all positions hum-cancelling, but requires flipping a magnet.
      Thank you! I'm a beginner, I rather stick to the regular diagrams for now if possible. I may use the bridge or neck split coil once in a while but I just wanted to have the option since I'm rewiring everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Edward203 View Post
        Thank you! I'm a beginner, I rather stick to the regular diagrams for now if possible. I may use the bridge or neck split coil once in a while but I just wanted to have the option since I'm rewiring everything.
        This diagram from GuitarElectronics.com would work for what you want to do. It requires a superswitch though. A regular 5 way blade cannot support the exact options you requested, without the addition of push-pulls or switches.

If you reply with whatever questions you have about this diagram, I should be able to help you.

Also, re: your earlier question about pickup selector switch positions 1 thru 5: Position 1 has the switch pointing towards the bridge, and position 5 has the switch pointing towards the neck. This diagram follows standard convention in that regard. So the desired options you listed in your first post are in reverse order. Neck only should be position 5 and bridge only should be position 1.

Guitar wiring diagram with 2 humbuckers, 5-way 4-pole lever switch, one volume and one tone control. Custom 5-way switching: 1. Bridge Series Humbucker 2. Bridge Single Coil (South) 3. Bridge Humbucker + Neck Humbucker 4. Neck Single Coil (South) 5. Neck Series Humbucker Click diagram image to open/view full size version.   Ready to get started? Don't forget the Wire, Solder, Shielding & Supplies. Copyright© GuitarElectronics.com LLC. Unauthorized replication is prohibited.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200217_233920.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	5818258
        Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 02-17-2020, 11:07 PM.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
          This diagram from GuitarElectronics.com would work for what you want to do. It requires a superswitch though. A regular 5 way blade cannot support the exact options you requested, without the addition of push-pulls or switches.

If you reply with whatever questions you have about this diagram, I should be able to help you.

Also, re: your earlier question about pickup selector switch positions 1 thru 5: Position 1 has the switch pointing towards the bridge, and position 5 has the switch pointing towards the neck. This diagram follows standard convention in that regard. So the desired options you listed in your first post are in reverse order. Neck only should be position 5 and bridge only should be position 1.

Guitar wiring diagram with 2 humbuckers, 5-way 4-pole lever switch, one volume and one tone control. Custom 5-way switching: 1. Bridge Series Humbucker 2. Bridge Single Coil (South) 3. Bridge Humbucker + Neck Humbucker 4. Neck Single Coil (South) 5. Neck Series Humbucker Click diagram image to open/view full size version.   Ready to get started? Don't forget the Wire, Solder, Shielding & Supplies. Copyright© GuitarElectronics.com LLC. Unauthorized replication is prohibited.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103361[/ATTACH]
          Thanks a lot! Is this the switch I need?
          Last edited by Edward203; 02-18-2020, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks a lot! Is this the switch I need?
            https://www.philadelphialuthiertools...h-oak-grigsby/
            Yes. Dimarzio also makes one, Part No EP1112. I believe Fender makes one, too.
            Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

SD Diagram question: 2 HUMBUCKER | 1 VOLUME 1 TONE | 5 WAY BLADE (with coil split)

Hi,

This is my first attempt to re wire a guitar, I'm going from actives to the JB/59 4 conductors. I don't see the ground coming from the guitar bridge (floyd rose claw) in this diagram, does it matter much where it goes? Where should I solder it? I've seen the ground soldered to one of the pots in pretty much every diagram from Seymour Duncan, I guess they forgot or i don't see it

Also does left or right matter? I don't know what side of the switch is what in the diagram.

This is the switch I'm getting by the way: https://www.philadelphialuthiertools...r-oak-grigsby/

Thank you!

Name:	SD diagram 5 blade split coil.jpg
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	5818267

Comment

thanks, it won't fit, too big. I'm just going with the regular 5 way switch, I posted another thread. Thank you!!

Comment

Re: SD Diagram question: 2 HUMBUCKER | 1 VOLUME 1 TONE | 5 WAY BLADE (with coil split

Merging with the other, exact same thread.

The ground from the trem claw can just be soldered to the back of the closest pot. As long as all the grounds are connected, it doesn't matter which one you use.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

thanks, it won't fit, too big. I'm just going with the regular 5 way switch, I posted another thread. Thank you!!
                    What was the reason you ruled out a push-pull pot to handle the coil-splitting? Was it the common concern that the required physical motion of pulling up on a knob can feel a little awkward while trying to maintain a steady strum? If that was it, are you aware of Fender S1 switches? With the S1, it is easier to use because you push it down to turn it On *and* to turn it off. The awkward 'pull' motion is eliminated.

Here is more info:

If that interests you, i could help you convert a diagram that calls for using a push-pull to an S1.

Comment

Given your space constraints, there is 1 other superswitch option that is closer in size to a normal 5 way blade: The Ibanez VLX91 switch. Can be found on Ebay, maybe Reverb, maybe Rich at IbanezRules.com has some in stock.

Name:	20200220_024654.jpg
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	5818268

Name:	20200220_024711.jpg
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	5818269

Comment

Working...
                      X