banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My tone knobs acts as a second volume knob after rewire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My tone knobs acts as a second volume knob after rewire.

I used the alternate Esquire diagram on my mim tele. And am having a few issues. First off my tone control acts as a second volume instead of a tone control. The second issue is the 3rd position on my switch doesn’t work at all. I have checked the connections and redid them. I had a local tech check them as well so far everything is wired up good and right. But nothing we do fixes the issue.
    Any suggestion on what I can try? The pickup I am using is a hot lead stack with Emerson pots, switch and cap.

Re: My tone knobs acts as a second volume knob after rewire.

The tone control acting like a volume control is almost always caused by missing a "zero" in the cap value. For example, using .22 uf instead of .022 uf. I'd check that first.

Comment

man-in-moon,

Does the tone pot acts totally like a volume control? IOW, does it mute the sound when set @ 0/10? Or does it just make the tone weaker/thinner?

Also: could you check the DCR of the pickup? This question might seem strange but there's a reason behind. :-)
      Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

I always hate to sound like a d**k when commenting on other peoples tech's, but the following two statements are mutually exclusive.

Originally posted by man-in-moon View Post
        . . . the 3rd position on my switch doesn’t work at all.

I had a local tech check them as well so far everything is wired up good and right.
        There's almost nothing easier, in the world of electronics, than finding a "dead" position on a guitar switch. Put the meter across the output jack, and look for a short or an open. Then start flipping the switch, turning the pots, and wiggling wires 'til something changes.

Comment

The cap I’m using is an Emerson 0.022uf paper and oil. The tone pot doesn’t do anything at all until it turned down to about 5 then volume drops drastically and is completely gone at 0. I’m wondering if 1 or both of the pots are bad. The volume pot works until you turn it down to 5 then below that it’s like it’s on 0. How do I check the DCR on the pickup?

Comment

I will put a meter on it to check stuff. What would be the best to set my meter on to get an accurate reading?

Comment

Put the black lead of the meter on any ground in the guitar. The one on the output jack is best, but some Tele's use those barrel output jacks that are difficult to access. Put the red meter lead on where the hot lead of the pup attaches to the 3-way. If you're measuring the neck pup, put the switch on the bridge position. Then do the opposite for the bridge pup. Meter on "ohms", of course. Since you're using push-pulls, the meter should read the full series DCR of each pup in series mode, and approximately 1/4th in the parallel mode.

Oh wait. Did you say Esquire? Is this a 1-pup Tele?

Comment

Yeah I’m just running a bridge pickup with a 3 way switch

Comment

I just checked with a meter in position 1 it’s reading around 19k in position 2 it’s reading 9k on position 3 it’s not reading at all. The readings on the volume is around 19k when I turn it below 5 it drop to no reading the tone control drops to no reading when it’s turned down.

Comment

What is position 3 supposed to do? Sounds like position 1 is series, position 2 is coil split, and position 3 doesn't have anything hooked to it. Not sure what options you are looking for there?

Comment

I agree with Devastone.

Below is my attempt on the schematic. For me a jumper is missing (I've pictured it in green).

Regarding the tone pot: the leg of the cap coming from the lug of the pot must NOT touch the housing of the pot (where I've put a red arrow).

Click image for larger version

Name:	AltEsqToPo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	5818255

More later if necessary and if time permits.

Comment

Position 1 is full out put with tone control position 2 is split with tone and position 3 is split no tone control. The tone control doesn’t really work in any position except as a volume cut.

Comment

The missing jumper might explain things. The only thing I changed from the diagram was switched the white wire for black and replaced the yellow wire with the red and white. That’s how the guy I talked to at SD told me to wire it.

Comment

Originally posted by man-in-moon View Post
                            The missing jumper might explain things. The only thing I changed from the diagram was switched the white wire for black and replaced the yellow wire with the red and white. That’s how the guy I talked to at SD told me to wire it.
                            Yes, I had understood this. Hence my answer. It should work once the jumper added.

regarding the tone pot, I can only repeat what I've said: the leg of the cap coming from the center lug of the pot mustn't touch the ground at all. It had to stay away from the metallic housing of the pot AND it musn't touch the metal of the plate either, nor any conductive paint possibly layered in the cavity.

Comment

I talked to the people at Emerson they said it sounds like the pot is bad so I have a new one coming in. When I install it I will add the jumper.

Comment

Working...
                              X