banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My tone knobs acts as a second volume knob after rewire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My tone knobs acts as a second volume knob after rewire.

Originally posted by man-in-moon View Post
    I talked to the people at Emerson they said it sounds like the pot is bad so I have a new one coming in. When I install it I will add the jumper.
    I hope it will solve your issue albeit I really don't see the reason of this diagnosis*. Let us know if it works once the whole thing redone... At least I stand on the idea that a Jumper is missing in the alternate Esquire wiring schematic. If someone from the Duncan staff reads this, I hope it to be useful...

*Foonote about the tone pot: such a control is just a variable resistor allowing a defined amount of signal to go to ground through the capacitor.

If a tone potentiometer is dead, there's only two solutions: either it stays stuck on a fixed resistance (250k or any other value, no matter its position), either it has zero resistance (zero Ohm) whatever is the action on the control. In ANY way, it CAN'T electronically become a volume control, AFAIK.

It's different if the tone CAP....
    1- is not wired properly (with its two legs connected to ground, for example, making a short cut and changing the cap in a kind of jumper to ground),
    2- if it's defective and/or exhibits some inadequate value, as mentionned above by ArtieToo...
    For the record, a 2,2µF cap (= 100 times more than a regular 22nF cap) would cut any frequency above 60hz in a guitar with passive PU's and would therefore change the tone pot in a kind of volume control, since the lowest fundamental frequency produced by a 6 strings axe is 82hz (low E string unfretted)....

All that being said just to be clear, man-in-moon, and not at all to "pontify". It's just that I don't understand how people @ Emerson diagnosticized a dead pot in this case - but I see behind a possible intent to make you spend more money, so I hope they sent you a new pot for free, at least...

Good luck anyway.
    Last edited by freefrog; 02-19-2020, 04:14 AM.
    Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

The new pot is free. I noticed on the old one the shaft is real loose to the point it rattles if my guitar gets shook much. It moves so much it make my knob hit the control plate.

Comment

Well, it could be a bad pot, but as freefrog said, it is more likely the cap touching ground. Or possibly, poor soldering which is grounding the middle lug of the tone pot. Also, if the third lug is grounded it WILL become a volume pot.

When you get the new pup, be very careful about wiring it in (since that is most likely the problem anyway).

Oh, and one more thing...get a new tech since it is clear he doesn't know what he is doing.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
        X