banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seymour 59 measuring zero ohm resistance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seymour 59 measuring zero ohm resistance?

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I'd be curious as to the consensus of the people who are really good at spotting this stuff.

Comment

59s don’t have the logo. Duncan doesn’t use philips mount screws. Bobbins look strangely rounded along the top edge and the logo printing looks broken up like it was done after total assembly. Need to see the baseplates.

Comment

Well, the fonts, mounting tabs, and what looks like short legs, too. The wire should be a traditional (not 4 conductor) also. How much did you pay? Where did you buy these from? A genuine 59 set wouldn't be too expensive as they are pretty common.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm betting these have very realistic SD logo-stamped base plates, as well. That's how close the fakes are getting to the real thing

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
            Link to the listing?
            https://reverb.com/be/item/31750013-...-59-neck-zebra

Comment

They do have the SD logo engraved on the base plate. I'll try to unsolder them tomorrow and take a pic. I guess I'm hosed anyway if they're counterfeit, not sure Reverb can do much but I'm going to contact them anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                sadly those look like fakes to me, the dcr pretty much confirms they are not any duncan pup, and definitely not a 59 set
                Isn't the Screamin Demon 10k?
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

But there is still the problem of the multimeter readings. If one of the pups gets a zero reading (indicating continuity) between the plain and black wire, that means there is probably a short between the black wire and baseplate. Perhaps a cut in the insulation of the black wire where it goes through the hole in the baseplate. Or the connection between the black wire and the coil wire might not be insulated very well with the black tape.

In any case, these are NOT the pups as advertised! They are NOT a JB/59 set...10k or 11k is neither JB nor 59. And since there is a short in the wiring of one of the pups, they are NOT in "Excellent" condition, as advertised.

Because these are NOT as advertised, you should be able to return them to Reverb. It's sad that you bought a used, fake, set of pups for more than it would cost to buy a brand new REAL set. You should be able to get a good used set for about half that price.
                  Last edited by GuitarDoc; 02-20-2020, 08:08 AM.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Not sure how things work internationally, but Reverb is very good about helping the buyer with not-as-described issues here in the U.S. Clearly those are counterfeit. Clearly they are broken and not-as-described.

Mr. Vito, the seller, is a low life. He most likely bought them on a site like Alibaba, DHGate or AliExpress at a "very good" price delivered compared to buying from a reputable source or from the U.S., realized they were junk, and sold them off as soon as he could.

If you get a chance, please take some clear pictures of the pickups top and bottom so we can share your experience with other forum members and the SD company.

Comment

I would go to reverb, too. It is getting to the point that you'd have to do some research to see if you are getting what you ordered. Hopefully Reverb wants to keep fakes off of their site, too. Did you give the seller a review yet?
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

At minimum, they are not functioning in spec to what was advertised, so should be returnable.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                          Isn't the Screamin Demon 10k?
                          yes but it doesnt look anything like that

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                            Not sure how things work internationally, but Reverb is very good about helping the buyer with not-as-described issues here in the U.S. Clearly those are counterfeit. Clearly they are broken and not-as-described.

Mr. Vito, the seller, is a low life. He most likely bought them on a site like Alibaba, DHGate or AliExpress at a "very good" price delivered compared to buying from a reputable source or from the U.S., realized they were junk, and sold them off as soon as he could.

If you get a chance, please take some clear pictures of the pickups top and bottom so we can share your experience with other forum members and the SD company.
                            Angels advocate :. It is possible but unlikely the seller didn't know they were fake. Could've just bought them from a friend, never used them and decided to sell the.. Maybe let's not burn his house down just yet. It's easy for duncan-freaks like us to spot fakes but casual players may not have a clue . I can't read the ad since it's in Spanish so I don't know if it says anything like "tested and working" so I dunno. Just saying..

Anyway reverb should be able to hook you up, they usually tend to bend over backwards for the buyer

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200220_234557566.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	5818274

Name:	IMG_20200220_234513194.jpg
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	5818275

Name:	IMG_20200220_234507000.jpg
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	5818276

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                                I would go to reverb, too. It is getting to the point that you'd have to do some research to see if you are getting what you ordered. Hopefully Reverb wants to keep fakes off of their site, too. Did you give the seller a review yet?
                                So the seller blocked me immediately after concluding the sale and prevented me from entering any feedback. He was very aggressive in his communication style. For example when I asked about a UPS tracking number for three days, he said "I have better things to do than taking care of your crappy pickups". I had already paid at that point :/

Comment

Working...
                                X