banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seymour 59 measuring zero ohm resistance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour 59 measuring zero ohm resistance?

Good day everyone!

I bought a pair of used 59s that came with no stickers or indications anywhere, which means I can't tell the neck vs bridge pickup. I thought I'd test their resistance with an ohm meter and things got .. interesting.

- Pickup A: I connected green and bare together, wire red/white together to link both loops, and use black as hot. When I place the ohm meter between green/bare and black, I read roughly 11 ohms on pickup A. Looks good to me.
    - Pickup B: same procedure. Ohm meter says 0 ohms immediately. Now if I use the green wire only and separate it from the bare, and measure between green and black, I read 10 ohms. Bare and black: 0 ohms.

I guess the bare is somehow either shorted to the black inside the pickup, or the shield is damaged somewhere making wires touch each other. I see no visible damage, and upon inspecting the pickup after removing the black cloth-like protection that's around it, I see no damage at all.

What do y'all think? Can I use pickup B if I wrap the bare wire in tape and just use connect green to ground?

Re: Seymour 59 measuring zero ohm resistance?

No pickup should read 10 ohms. More along the lines of 7,000 to 16,000 ohms.

So I have to assume you are measuring them wrong.

What meter are you using, and how do you have it set?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

there is no need to have bare involved at all.

Measure on a greater than 10k setting on the meter.
      Measure each coil individually.......so black and white, red and green. Each should have a high 3k to low 4k reading.

Comment

Be sure to use new battery in your multimeter.
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

It's 10K ohms indeed, no 10 ohms. I just realized the ohm meter's legend says "ohm x 1K".

Comment

I'm measuring it right, I was just reading ohms where it's really ohms x 1K. I still wonder though why on *that* pickup only I can't short the green and bare. The other 59 doesn't have that problem. I'll install the "problematic" one without the bare at all, I'll make sure it's wrapped in electrical tape.

Comment

BTW as I can't identify the pickups (they have no label, engraving, or sticker anywhere). They're zebra and have Seymour Duncan written on them. On both of them the pole pieces are on the black side. However, one of them has Seymour Duncan written on the creme side coil while the other has Seymour Duncan written on the black side coil. The forum site won't let me upload a picture (https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JkUGVGaEVEMXln) - does anybody know what they are, and which one is bridge vs neck?

Comment

Originally posted by cpaggen View Post
                does anybody know what they are, and which one is bridge vs neck?
                Most probably the neck one is the one with the logo on the black bobbin. You write '59s, but according the only measure taken, it can't be.

Take a picture of the baseplate. It'll help.

/Peter
                Last edited by Discharged; 02-18-2020, 07:13 AM.
                Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
                Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Would you mind posting some pics of the bottoms of the pickups, as well?

I'm concerned these may be counterfeits from the pic you provided. Pretty sure I've come across these before...more pics would help

Generally speaking, the pickup with the 3 mounting holes on each side is a "trembucker" and meant for the bridge. That said, I believe these are likely the latest generation counterfeits judging by the bobbin finish, the logos, the rounded baseplate tabs on the neck pickup and the pole pieces. Couple those with the fact that there are no labels and the DC resistance figures are WAY off and there's a pretty solid case for these being fakes. If so, I was literally just talking about this emerging problem last month.

Where did you get them?

Here's a copy of the pic you linked to, so others can see it:

Last edited by Masta' C; 02-18-2020, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                    these may be counterfeits
                    Now that I'm looking at the picture on my laptop, I too think they're counterfeits.

/Peter
                    Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
                    Kolding, Denmark

Comment

yes, those look fake!

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
                        yes, those look fake!
                        Oh no :/ I'll take pics on Friday, right now they're mounted in a Les Paul and I need to unsolder them.

I bought them used on Reverb for 110€.

Comment

Link to the listing?

Comment

I am not an expert on fakes, but the logo/mounting tabs doesn't look right. I'd be curious as to the consensus of the people who are really good at spotting this stuff.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

sadly those look like fakes to me, the dcr pretty much confirms they are not any duncan pup, and definitely not a 59 set

Comment

Working...
                              X