Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DD in the bridge - what in the neck?

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Default Re: DD in the bridge - what in the neck?

Demon has a fat growl, but still a percussive bite. Very tweakable, too. Replace the fillister heads under the wound strings with 0.75" allen heads to match the other coil, if you want an even tighter and sharper bite on low notes. Or if you want smoother and warmer, instead replace the allen heads with 1" fillisters.

Sentient might be a bit closer to a classic PAF neck pickup, but with a bit more output and warmth to hang with hot pickups, while being articulate. Popular as a good all-arounder for people wanting something in between the Jazz and the '59, but with more output in the neck. Warmer and fatter than a neck '59, but with some of the articulation of a Jazz.

If you are leaning more 85, a DDn or BWn are probably closer out of the Duncan lineup, or something dual resonance from DiMarzio.

Maybe you just need to raise the neck pickup close to the strings? I know Gus G used the 59n with DDb and sounded good imho.
    Who took my guitar?

Ultimate Tone Slacker Rex_Rocker's Avatar

Thanks for the replies, dudes!

Quote Originally Posted by Despair View Post
    Demon has a fat growl, but still a percussive bite.
    See, that's not really what I want. I don't want percussive. I want liquid. Sorta like the 85. Percussiveness is exactly what I don't like about the PAF Pro or the EMG 60.

Haven't tried the Sentient, but honestly, seeing I don't like the '59 or the Jazz, I'm dubious about liking something that resembles either.

Quote Originally Posted by IMENATOR View Post
    Maybe you just need to raise the neck pickup close to the strings? I know Gus G used the 59n with DDb and sounded good imho.
    They're at the same height right now, both the bridge and neck pickups, so it's definitely not set too low. It helps with the output a bit, but I feell not enough, and it still sounds like a '59.

I know lots of people make the whole hot bridge pickup/vintage neck pickup work. It's just never worked for me. I just don't like them. It's not just the output, it's the overall character. I prefer something like the EMG 85, which couldn't be further away from a PAF-type.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-21-2020 at 03:47 PM.

Uh huh. That's why I didn't recommend the Demon and was thinking about something medium output with regular poles plus alnico stock or swapped in. You'll get a liquid sound from one of those. The Sentient seems pretty similar to the other chirpy, vintage output neck hums to me.
    In a fast german car
    I'm amazed that I survived
    An airbag saved my life

Tone Member

My vote is for Black Winter neck. Ceramic, yes, but roll off the tone knob a bit and you'll be just fine. And it can keep up with any bridge pickup out there.

Put a friggin alnico mag in it.
    In a fast german car
    An airbag saved my life

BW-Neck with Alnico 5, then? Sounds interesting...

Hell yes
    In a fast german car
    An airbag saved my life

Any example song/solo to get an idea the sound you want? Is your guitar 22 or 24 frets? Edit: I may be lost in translation (I am made in Mexico), but from your description I would think of a neck pickup with a tone rolled back a bit, like halfway of a woman's tone maybe? I use tone pots only for neck, never for bridge.
    Last edited by IMENATOR; 02-24-2020 at 06:35 PM.
    Who took my guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by IMENATOR View Post
    Any example song/solo to get an idea the sound you want? Is your guitar 22 or 24 frets? Edit: I may be lost in translation (I am made in Mexico), but from your description I would think of a neck pickup with a tone rolled back a bit, like halfway of a woman's tone maybe? I use tone pots only for neck, never for bridge.
    I'm Mexican too!

The guitar has 24 fret. Basswood body, thin maple neck, rosewood board, and a Floyd.

The guitar itself is not overly bright, but it's not bassy either.

I'm liking this tone:

That's the Air Norton in a pretty similar guitar. I ask if there's a Duncan that handles that tone as well because Duncans are easier to get ahold of for me, but if I absolutely have to go Air Norton, I guess I'll go Air Norton, LOL.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-24-2020 at 06:46 PM.

One of the medium output Duncans would be the closest like the Jason Becker or Pegasus.
    In a fast german car
    An airbag saved my life

Just buy my DD/Custom hybrid set.
    In a fast german car
    An airbag saved my life

That is more like a shredder tone. I only have 22 frets guitar (for now) so not not sure how to advice you for a 24 fret guitar but I think the people who suggested the black winter gave you a good lead to follow. Here a demo on a 22 fret guitar, sounds very warm to me.

Disclaimer: I have not used the Black Winter neck with a DDb. I use a Full Shred neck with my the DDb in my Charvel but mine is a 22 fret guitar, and it may bee too bright for what you want. I used to use the DDn too but I wanted something more open that would clean up nicely and I use the FS neck as a rhythm pickup for cleans and mild overdrive.
    Last edited by IMENATOR; 02-26-2020 at 02:38 PM.
    Who took my guitar?

I have a Jackson Pro Series Soloist with a DD set in it. I wasn't too sure about the DD in the neck, but then played it and was pleasantly surprised. The Jackson is for sale if you want to try it out... ha! But, seriously, the two mix together really well and give a surprisngly great range of tones.