banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Emg for the Neck position ( 60ax in the bridge)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Emg for the Neck position ( 60ax in the bridge)?

Hello to everyone, this is my first post

Which emg would be a good choice in the Neck position of my Ibanez Rg ( Basswoodbody, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, thring thru Body)?
    I'm searching for a sound that is clean and dynamic as it can get , i don't care about distortion or overdrive when i'm playing a Neckpickup.
    Not searching for a vintage sound, instead I want it to be chrystal clear and well balanced. And it must be a humbuckersized pickup. Would a Emg HX oder HAX be a good choice ? Which are both humbuckersized versions of the Emg SX and SAX. And yeah, it must be an active EMG because of the 60AX in the bridgepositon which I really like.

Have a nice day to all of you

Sorry for my bad english, I am german.

Re: Which Emg for the Neck position ( 60ax in the bridge)?

I have EMG S in the neck of a guitar with EMG 60 in the bridge. They complement each other very nicely IMHO.
    The S is very crystal clear so I would think the humbucker sized version of the SX would be a good choice for your 60AX. Since the S is very powerful, don't be afraid to lower it more than advised to have the sound you want and to balance with the bridge. Was not a fan of the S until I lowered it.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
      I have EMG S in the neck of a guitar with EMG 60 in the bridge. They complement each other very nicely IMHO.
      The S is very crystal clear so I would think the humbucker sized version of the SX would be a good choice for your 60AX. Since the S is very powerful, don't be afraid to lower it more than advised to have the sound you want and to balance with the bridge. Was not a fan of the S until I lowered it.
      Thx for the answer. Sounds interesting... In which guitar are the pickups ? Could the S/SX could become to piercing or bright in an already bright sounding guitar like mine?

Comment

i have "also" the EMG 60X Bridge/ EMG H (humbucker sized EMG S single coil) neck combination.
        It's 25.5" rosewood fretboard, maple neck alder body guitar with a trem.
        yes i roll down the tone a lil because it's tad too bright for the amp settings i use with my other guitars.
        I started of with the EMG H in the neck and tried the EMG 85(x), 81(X) and 60(X).
        The EMG 60(X) matches best in tone with the EMG H or S. the 60X is also very bright. It's less compressed and less hot then 81x/85x which sound quite boxy if you switch from the broad rather hollow neck single to the bridge.

With an EMG 60AX in the bridge the EMG HAX might be a better fit?
        The EMG 60X might also be a good fit. I also wood describe it as quite clear for a humbucker.

I wan't to try the EMG 60A(X) myself for a while now, but got too much other projects going on.
        But if it's warmer than a EMG 81X/85X i don't think it's a good match for the EMG H.

but i wouldn't describe the EMG H as super dynamic. Clean it's almost a bit sterile. quite hifi sounding.
        I own the H version though, not HX version.
        i, as opposed to you, use it mostly dirty.

Comment

Is there anyone who can compare the HAX/SAX to the HX/SX ? Is there a big difference in clarity and Outputs? HiFi Quality is exactly what I am searching. What I didn't mention before, I use flatwoundstrings, really warm sounding strings

Comment

Originally posted by Cornell20 View Post
            Is there anyone who can compare the HAX/SAX to the HX/SX ? Is there a big difference in clarity and Outputs? HiFi Quality is exactly what I am searching. What I didn't mention before, I use flatwoundstrings, really warm sounding strings
            Don't have experience with other EMG pickups but I would describe the EMG S as clear and HiFi, a bit sterile for a bedroom player but very good in a band mix. It's not taking other's space.

Comment

Thx for the answer. Sounds interesting... In which guitar are the pickups ?
              Godin Exit 22, mahogany body, maple neck & fingerboard, 24.75" scale, 11-52 strings. They fit that guitar perfectly (way better than the super Strat they were in before).

Could the S/SX could become to piercing or bright in an already bright sounding guitar like mine?
              That's how I like my single coils
              Better have them too bright and rolls down the tone pot than not having enough brightness when you need it. The S is very responsive to volume pot also, you can get very low volume, and they clean-up very well on crunch/distorted sounds. My EMG S/S/60 is a very flexible combo.

Comment

60 in the neck is brilliant!

Comment

Working...
                X