Timmy pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timmy pedal

Ive always hear (read) amazing things about the Timmy .. Ive wondered why. Searched some old posts and found a good description by a forum bro. (Jeremy!!!) Anyhow... Ive seen good reviews about the new MXR timmy also. I like the smaller footprint and the greater availability. Has anyone been able to compare a real Timmy to the new MXR version yet?

Also, has anyone tried this Timmy Clone that Im sure is overseas made?

I bought an overseas made Rat "clone" (Little Bear IIRC) and it was very inexpensive, but has a switch that covers the Rat, Turbo Rat and another Rat version and it does a pretty nice job.

So, Im wondering how the MXR is and how the Clone version is.. The regular ones are too pricey for me at this time. Plus, I prolly need another pedal like I need a hole in my head.... But, Im still in pursuit of "my sound" and exploring options..

Thanks
    Last edited by BloodRose; 02-18-2020, 03:01 PM.
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Timmy pedal

timmy is my favorite overdrive, i had a v1 and v2 and a clone someone made for me. there isnt much difference between the v1 and v2 sonically, the clone does sound a little different but it could be the chip, dont know if it was a kit or just put together from a schematic. still a very nice pedal and ive used it so much i killed the switch this weekend. i havent tried the mxr version but since there is no battery option, i wont be getting one. for guys that always use a power supply that isnt an issue but i frequently just use one od pedal on a battery between the guitar and amp

Comment

Have the MXR Mini-Timmy on order, will publish my thoughts when it arrives...

Comment

Thanks Jeremy! And to give credit where credit is due, YOU are the one that gave the detailed review I was reading! I just couldnt recall when I posted.. I have a board with a power supply, so Im curious how the MXR will be.. I edited my orig post to give you credit! Wink
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

cool! look forward to your thoughts! You ever play an original one?

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I'd love to get hold of one of those new MXR Timmy's.

I love the originals and have 3 Timmies (1 old, 1 new with the switch outside, and a pale blue with the TS808 chip) and a Tim.

The originals lack compression (which is a good thing when needed because so many pedals have it and I think no compression is better for transparency) while the pale blue (sea foam or whatever) has more of that TS808 compression on account of the chip (lm1458) I suppose. So I wonder which way MXR went.

Any info on that? The smoother more compressed LM1458 or the more open and grittier JRC4559? Not a huge deal... But still makes an audible difference you know.

B
            FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

on the non-mxr ones the chips are socketed so you can swap if ya want, obviously not the case on the mxr babies

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                on the non-mxr ones the chips are socketed so you can swap if ya want, obviously not the case on the mxr babies
                Yeah. Way back when, I've tried some chips including an JRC4558 chip, but did not care for it. Was softer and not that transparent.

One guy who has one of the originals and doing a review of the mxr version on Sweetwater says it sounds like it's made with LM 1458... A bit softer...

B
                Last edited by dr.barlo; 02-20-2020, 12:51 PM.
                FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Got mine today, awesome pedal!

Comment

Working...
                  X