Pickup recommendations for mahogany Ibanez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup recommendations for mahogany Ibanez

Hey all... I have an Ibanez RGR421EXFM with a Dimarzio Super 3 in the bridge and a 4-conductor Duncan '59 in the neck... Love the '59... not so much the Super 3... I loved a Duncan distortion in the bridge when I had one....traded it....(dummy) I also REEEEEAAALLLY effin loved the Duncan Iommi (El Diablo) in the bridge.... traded it (BIG effin dummy move... so...I want something with a bit more treble and slightly less bass than the Super 3... I dig the mids... I dont suppose anyone has an Iommi or El Diablo they aren't happy with, do ya? Lolololol! Any recommendations welcome... thanks!

Re: Pickup recommendations for mahogany Ibanez

Super 3 is a great model to run a no-load or no tone pot at all. Seems to decompress it just enough to open-up the highs a bit.
    New pickups are always nice though. (1meg vol also)
    Last edited by dave74; 02-19-2020, 04:13 AM.

Comment

You might dig the Black Winter, which has nice mids and treble. I like it with the 59, too.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My mahogany with maple cap Iceman loves the Duncan Distortion, so if you already know you love the DD, by all means put another one in there. Can always lower the pickup a hair to ease up on the highs and lows.
        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400
        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Dimarzio Dreamcatcher is amazing in my RG with mahog and maple cap

Comment

Super Distortion.

Comment

Distortion or BW

I'd go Invaders myself, but you want less bass not more.
              If you like the thicker mids of the super3 then the BW might be better.
              Last edited by dave74; 02-19-2020, 04:32 AM.

Comment

I’m just here to remind you that getting rid of the el Diablo was a very regrettable move lol.

Comment

Have you thought of the Steve Morse model? It’s got mids for days and good treble with a slight bass cut. It’s a funny pickup because it has less wire than other pickups but a good amount of drive to it. Harmonics fly off the thing super easy too. I don’t even think Steve is the best representative for the pickup as he zeros in on a particular midrange area with his gear. It does more than he uses it for.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtomecha View Post
                    I’m just here to remind you that getting rid of the el Diablo was a very regrettable move lol.
                    Yes.... yes indeed it was.... BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

I have a dimarzio/ibz which is super distortion-esque in nature in my rg520qs

It sounds beastly. I now understand why alot of guys like the superdistortion.

Comment

Alternative 8.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I've gone through several in my mahogony 540SLTD (IBZUSA/Tone Zone, Super Distortion, Invader, Black Winter) and have an Elysian Trident coming this week. So, if you want to buy a Black Winter, I've have one for sale next weekend. If not, try an Elysian and see what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Danglin' Fury View Post
                            I also REEEEEAAALLLY effin loved the Duncan Iommi (El Diablo) in the bridge.... traded it (BIG effin dummy move...
                            I bought two, and only need one. There may be one coming to a neighborhood near you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtomecha View Post
                              Have you thought of the Steve Morse model? It’s got mids for days and good treble with a slight bass cut. It’s a funny pickup because it has less wire than other pickups but a good amount of drive to it. Harmonics fly off the thing super easy too.
                              Originally posted by Juanhanglo View Post
                              I have a dimarzio/ibz which is super distortion-esque in nature in my rg520qs. It sounds beastly. I now understand why alot of guys like the superdistortion.
                              Funny those posts should come up in the same thread.

Here's DiMarzio's description of the original DiMarzio/IBZ bridge:

Originally posted by DiMarzio
                              The bridge pickup is a little louder and warmer-sounding, and resembles a cross between the Steve Morse Bridge Model™ (DP200) and the Super Distortion® (DP100).

Comment

Working...
                              X