Peavey Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Amps

All things Peavey for that matter. Why does Peavey not get more credit/respect? Im surely not happy that they have gone offshore for most stuff now, but before..
    My first amp was a pos from Sears that was dung. My next ( and first real amp) was a Special 130. Sounded pretty good to me until I discovered Tube amps . Many players have started on PV, MANY recordings have been done with PV.. Skynyrd and many of the newer bands using 5150s. They are well built and road worthy, sound great.... I cant recall the model, but saw one a few years back in a pawn shop that was KILLER!!!! Was a 1x12 combo, but had (IIRC) a 6L6 tube and a couple of 12Ax7s. Was a beast...
    I only thought to post this cuz since moving and health issues and all, Ive rarely played in awhile. Today, I have a new neighbor and thought Id say hello (Im an a$$ huh??) so I thought id play a bit.. I played a few min thru my Splawn QR with 4x12 and then lit up my PV Ultra Plus with a 2x12. I LOVE the Splawn, dont get me wrong, but the PV sounded freaking HUGE!! It has such a huge ballsy sound that never ceases to inspire me.. Plus, the clean is good and all. Just made me think, why doesnt PV get more love and credit? They make a solid product and all.
    I would have loved to have had a Wolfgang, which they now sell under a diff name. Ive had a couple of their old guitars and they were cool too. Just the one had a HUGE Kahler system that was kinda not cool, but it was Kahler.
    Anyhow, just thought Id throw this out there..

Oh, And I have a Classic 30 that is great too.. Just that EL84s arent my preference. But its a good amp and excellent pedal platform..
    Last edited by BloodRose; 02-18-2020, 03:42 PM.
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Peavey Amps

Ultra Plus is pretty hot, a lot like the XXX which I love.
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

The Delta Blues 115 is my favorite of the Peavey line.

Comment

I kinda want one of those jsx someday it really impressed me the few times I got to try one
        The Windsor head was a cooler amp than I gave it credit for back when I tried it and was inexperienced. Good bang for buck back then.
        The valve King first ones I thought were kinda sterile and boxy and the vkii series I liked better, I thought it was much smoother, but it felt a little too compressed and flat maybe still. Probably the speaker. Much better than before regardless!
        Haven't played the classic 30 or 50 which are the ones I know a lot of fans like

The 6505+ to me was a little buzzy but would like to play one again sometime

Comment

They made SO many cheap little combos and that sort of put their overall image in with Crate as "beginner" amps.
          I played on stage with two different Peavey combos and no one ever said "that doesn't sound good" but guitar players did razz me about getting a "real amp."
          I have been using a Peavey 2x12 cab as my only cab since around 1992. I put two Celestion G12-65s in it. The very first time I played out with it a guitar player from the opening band said "what's up with the Peavey?" the way you would say "why are you wearing a powder blue leisure suit?"

I pulled the ugly logo off and sprayed the aluminum side pieces flat black and never heard anything but "your guitar sounds great!" from that point on. Guitar players are a bunch of snobs and too many of us listen with our eyes.

Comment

Easy, first, they are a southern company who made amps in the south (and you northern and western bigots don't like that even though we gave you every type of music you now rip off), they make lots of entry level equipment and were easy to get a dealership so everyone had them, and they were the choice for schools and churches for 4 decades.

So add it up and they were considered the ubiquitous nothing very special type of brand. It's similar to like when any brand gets traction in Wal Mart or Home Depot -they just aren't considered premium anymore. Remember when Porter Cable was considered the super high end tool company before going into the big box stores?

But that doesn't mean they didn't make some killer stuff too.

As I understand it now, they've moved overseas and are just another Asian contract builder and marketing musical instrument company. nothing wrong with it, but sad to see such a huge history go away.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I use my silver-stripe studio pro and envoy as power-stages for pedal lines. Ran through a quality cab they sound great.

Comment

I bought a Windsor cheap with the intention of learning how to mod it.

Comment

In my experience they kind of had a second "heydey" in the mid-late 2000's. I myself bought a valve king 212 and a bunch of my friends bought XXX, or 5150. They were pretty popular where I live if you wanted a real fire breathing metal tone

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                    Ultra Plus is pretty hot, a lot like the XXX which I love.
                    Yeah, its a fire breather. But has a nice clean channel too. From what I understand, the Ultra Plus was the basis of the XXX. I like the beefy sound of the 6l6 glass too..

Those who mentioned the Windsor.. I forgot that I had one of those for awhile. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Was a good basic rock amp at a fair price. I hear they are great mod platforms, I just never had time to delve into it, and since it didnt offer anything different or better than what I had, I sold it.

Yes, I agree with who said their credibility was probably tainted (especially to the guitar snobs) because of all the low end combos they put out and all. BUT, most of those same snobs probably started out with a PV in thier bedroom.. And yes, Ive seen and heard guys dissing players using PVs on stage. But one thing about the PVs is they are ususal pretty durable.

Dave,, sad that you felt you had to "camouflage" your gear. stupid to judge a musician with your eyes. I used to work at a club that had live bands at special functions. One time this guy pulled a Squier out of a case. Another worker there that played, said he couldnt believe the dude was gigging with a Squier. That dude tore it up all night on that Squier!

Bekindrewind, Yes, they did seem to have a big surge and a credibility increase with the 5150 and JSX. Having the big artists on board. Plus, those are awesome amps. Sound great and durable for gigging.
                    Last edited by BloodRose; 02-19-2020, 09:02 AM.
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I used to have a XXX which was pretty cool. Pretty over-the-top on both gain channels. The "Crunch" channel was every bit as high-gain as the Ultra channel, which was ridiculously high-gain. I remember it having as much if not more gain than an EVH, and the EVH's has an extra tube for gain stages, lol.

Comment

I've had 4 different Peavey's. All were solid. A Bandit 75 silver stripe combo, then another Bandit (I think it was the first gen 112), a Triumph 60 head, then an early 5150 block logo head. In the early 2000's I used a Bandit 112 Transtube combo that belonged to a bandmate (keyboardist) when my Marshall took a dump. I used that until I got another amp. I was pleasantly surprised with that Transtube model.

They are known to be workhorses and available anywhere/everywhere. Hell, Lynyrd Skynyrd used them. Snobs be damned...LOL
                        Last edited by ErikH; 02-19-2020, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Still have my Rockmaster preamp, Classic 60/60 tube poweramp and 4x12" cab loaded with Celestion G12K-85 speakers.
                          Only got compliments about my sound with that setup (even from a friend owning Mesa Boogies). Freaking too loud now (I'm using an Eleven Rack so I don't have to crank out loud anymore).
                          Top guitar players are using Marshall, Fenders, Vox, Mesa, Bogner, Soldano, etc. Since there not used by the top players, you'd assume Peavey is not good enough, Or using Peavey doesn't give the image that you are a pro.

I do road cycling and I ride a Giant (which is the Peayey on 2-wheels). Giant won many World Tour races, many Tour de France stages, Giro d'Italia and many Olympic (gold) medals. Always perceived as a Peavey because they are more affordable and have cheap/beginner models. Perception: they offer cheap (affordable) models for beginners so they cannot be high end.

Comment

I'm glad that lots of people don't like Peavey. It makes it a lot easier to find a good amp in a pawn shop for not a ridiculous amount of money.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

They made a whole range of stuff. Some crap, some epic. Some in between. But they have a lot of hits IMO. I own an Express 112 Transtube silver stripe right now.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X