Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Peavey Amps

Default Re: Peavey Amps

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    A couple of additional comments, Peavey 70s and 80s bass gear was always great -especially the mach stuff
    I use a Peavey TNT-130 combo and have always been quite pleased with it. A friend of mine has a Firebass head that's also quite solid.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    I use a Peavey TNT-130 combo and have always been quite pleased with it. A friend of mine has a Firebass head that's also quite solid.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
    I think a Peavey TNT or TKO was my very first amp -really wish I still owned it.
    ďFor me, when everything goes wrong Ė thatís when adventure starts.Ē Yvonne Chouinard

Quote Originally Posted by BloodRose View Post
    Dave,, sad that you felt you had to "camouflage" your gear. stupid to judge a musician with your eyes. I used to work at a club that had live bands at special functions. One time this guy pulled a Squier out of a case. Another worker there that played, said he couldnt believe the dude was gigging with a Squier. That dude tore it up all night on that Squier!

I seem to recall an interview where Jeff Healey noted he played Squiers with some custom pups and electronics. Jeff's tone always sounded great me.
    I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Duncan Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Duncan Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), 59(b)/59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    I bought a Windsor cheap with the intention of learning how to mod it.
    I did the same thing. I think its been turned on for maybe 10 - 15 minutes the decade or so that I've owned it. 100 watt tube amps don't make good bedroom amps.

I had a nice Peavey "Mach" bass amp, but I traded it to my luthier friend for something. I've also got a nice Peavey mixer and the Dual DeltaFex that are ok. But mostly, I love my USA made Peavey guitars. I think they're every bit as good as their Fender or Gibson counterparts. I think I have 3 Patriots now, and a T-30. And my favorite, the older dual-humbucker Predator with the Kahler. (Which I like. Many don't.)
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-20-2020 at 09:29 PM. Reason: T-30, not T-27

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    I did the same thing. I think its been turned on for maybe 10 - 15 minutes the decade or so that I've owned it. 100 watt tube amps don't make good bedroom amps.

I had a nice Peavey "Mach" bass amp, but I traded it to my luthier friend for something. I've also got a nice Peavey mixer and the Dual DeltaFex that are ok. But mostly, I love my USA made Peavey guitars. I think they're every bit as good as their Fender or Gibson counterparts. I think I have 3 Patriots now, and a T-27. And my favorite, the older dual-humbucker Predator with the Kahler. (Which I like. Many don't.)
    Lol...I biased mine when I got it and havenít played it since. Lol
    In all fairness, I did get divorced recently and moved so I havenít really played any amp lately.

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

There will be Bandits still gigging after the zombie apocalypse
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Underglazed Hair Metalologist 80's_Metal's Avatar

I just inherited this little Beasty...

Name:  IMG_20200210_151809374~2.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  102.2 KB

My first amp was a Peavey.
    My favorite Peavey is the 6505+...it rips!
    I've owned an XXL, and a few practice sized combos, I like them all.

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    There will be Bandits still gigging after the zombie apocalypse
    You reminded me that I also have the Transtube Supreme 100 watt amp. I've heard that it's similar, or almost the exact thing as the Bandit. Not sure about that though. I also remembered that I have the MP4 Plus mixer/amp and some oddball level converter that has four nice audio transformers in it. And, of course, my good ole Rockmaster with the Perpetual Burn. I imagine, if I keep looking around here, other Peavey stuff would pop up.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-22-2020 at 08:46 AM. Reason: spelling

I liked a lot of Peavey combos like the Bandit. But for every good one like that, they filled every non-chain music store with 15 watt amps with 6" speakers that didn't sound good. That is where the bad rep comes from. There was a time where every guitarists started with a small SS Peavey. And Peavey was during a time where SS amps sounded pretty bad. The line is blurring now, though, so if they had newer tech in those small amps now, they might sound fine.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Ultimate Tone Slacker skyydogg01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I liked a lot of Peavey combos like the Bandit. But for every good one like that, they filled every non-chain music store with 15 watt amps with 6" speakers that didn't sound good. That is where the bad rep comes from. There was a time where every guitarists started with a small SS Peavey. And Peavey was during a time where SS amps sounded pretty bad. The line is blurring now, though, so if they had newer tech in those small amps now, they might sound fine.
    I'm a big proponent of putting a 10 or 12 in every guitar amp regardless of power. Those 6 inch speakers are really the things that make these amps suck. I used to run my 10 watt Ibanez through a 2x12 and that thing sounded almost as good as my old Classic 30 through the same cab.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    -Greg

Guitars:
    2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
    2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
    Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Here's a Bandit for sale locally to me. I don't need another amp but if I was after one, I'd snag this.

https://reverb.com/item/32353368-pea...100w-combo-amp

It's 100w with an extension cab,,,,,,85w without,,,,,,,not like it makes any difference though.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Dave Locher's Avatar
    Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodRose View Post
    Dave,, sad that you felt you had to "camouflage" your gear. stupid to judge a musician with your eyes.
    In fairness, I had already changed out the speakers and it wasn't a Peavy head so a little camo wasn't a big deal. But yeah, I had been playing out for a few years and gone through 4 amps by then. Two were Peavey and I never considered disguising them.

The company could have benefitted by creating different name for their high- and low-end gear like Fender and Squire or Chevrolet and Cadillac.

Around that same time I saw Alice in Chains live. My date and I agreed that the Screaming Trees guitarist had the best guitar sound of the three bands. He was playing a slant face Peavey Butcher half stack.

I has no idea they were from the South until I saw the Undercover Boss a couple years ago.

It is currently retired, but I played through a Peavey Prowler for many years. 45 Watt 1x12 combo. It is a very good tube amp.
    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

I see Peavey 5150s and 6505+s all the time at shows, festivals and studios. Granted these are mostly metal specific genre events, but Peavey always comes up in high gain amp conversations I have with people.

I love Peavey stuff! It's unfortunate that they grief at times and get hailed as budget, low-end stuff when that's not the whole story by a long shot. Most of them, from my experience, are built to continue going forever and they're so cheap versus what you get. I have a Bravo combo that I yanked the stock speaker out of (which was fine, prefer the celestion however), a 5150, Ultra 120 (that I've had since 96), Ultra Plus, VTM 60, Vypyr VIP 3 and had a 5150 II (traded). As much as I know I need to get rid of a few, I can't bring myself to do it, not for the price they go for and how crazy good they all sound.

I have a BE-100 Deluxe and have compared it directly to the Ultra Plus and it is by no means a difference in sound of $3550. They're different but can be made to sound a lot more similar than I expected. The Ultra sounds so, so good. And I've compared my JCM800 (2204, so it's 50-watts) against the VTM 60, since people mention the two together, and that's not an $850 difference either. The Peavey has a lot more range whereas the JCM just has that thing it does with all the clarity and crunch. Both are great. I nearly traded my JCM a few times, so glad I didn't actually do it.

If I only had the Peavey's, I know now that I really could be happy forever with them, they're so well worth the nutty cheap prices they go for.

Tone Member

I have a Classic 30 and JSX and my brother has an original block letter 5150. All are amazing and that is all James Brown. I think when it comes to amps, itís more about the guy who designed it rather than the company.

The Classic 30 has lasted a really long time. Even stock, it is a pretty good gigging amp.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Classic 30 is an epically good amp.

I wish I had my Classic ~79 with Tremolo and Reverb. It would be an awesome Blues amp.

I HATED my 20 watt backstage. I really needed a DS-1 with that...man that amp sucked! A DS-1 into clean would have been an improvement.

Since then...nothing but love for the Transtubes.

Wish I had a 5150!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

to my understanding the Peavey Renown was the best of the pre Classic series

uncommonly heavy

but a tone monster
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)