Peavey Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Peavey Amps

Mine is like exactly what I was looking for. Hella impressed.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
      I used to have a XXX which was pretty cool.
      That's an awful name for an amp, but I trust that it was a good one, and because it's Peavey, it will probably last forever.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
        That's an awful name for an amp, but I trust that it was a good one, and because it's Peavey, it will probably last forever.
        Surprisingly, the Triple XXX also has the best clean channel I have ever found. Although these days I prefer my JSX for it's disparity between the Crunch and Ultra channels.

I will note it is refreshing to see Peavey getting some positive comments.
        I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
          I used to have a XXX which was pretty cool. Pretty over-the-top on both gain channels. The "Crunch" channel was every bit as high-gain as the Ultra channel, which was ridiculously high-gain. I remember it having as much if not more gain than an EVH, and the EVH's has an extra tube for gain stages, lol.
          There is almost no difference between the Crunch and Ultra circuits in the Triple XXX. It is mostly how you dial them in.

I think the 5150/6505 still wins the gain competition, but not by wide margin. A lot of the gain stages are used for some specific tone shaping, then gain is reduced/attenuated going into the next stage.

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

A couple of additional comments, Peavey 70s and 80s bass gear was always great -especially the mach stuff
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
              A couple of additional comments, Peavey 70s and 80s bass gear was always great -especially the mach stuff
              I use a Peavey TNT-130 combo and have always been quite pleased with it. A friend of mine has a Firebass head that's also quite solid.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                I use a Peavey TNT-130 combo and have always been quite pleased with it. A friend of mine has a Firebass head that's also quite solid.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
                I think a Peavey TNT or TKO was my very first amp -really wish I still owned it.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                  Dave,, sad that you felt you had to "camouflage" your gear. stupid to judge a musician with your eyes. I used to work at a club that had live bands at special functions. One time this guy pulled a Squier out of a case. Another worker there that played, said he couldnt believe the dude was gigging with a Squier. That dude tore it up all night on that Squier!

I seem to recall an interview where Jeff Healey noted he played Squiers with some custom pups and electronics. Jeff's tone always sounded great me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                    I bought a Windsor cheap with the intention of learning how to mod it.
                    I did the same thing. I think its been turned on for maybe 10 - 15 minutes the decade or so that I've owned it. 100 watt tube amps don't make good bedroom amps.

I had a nice Peavey "Mach" bass amp, but I traded it to my luthier friend for something. I've also got a nice Peavey mixer and the Dual DeltaFex that are ok. But mostly, I love my USA made Peavey guitars. I think they're every bit as good as their Fender or Gibson counterparts. I think I have 3 Patriots now, and a T-30. And my favorite, the older dual-humbucker Predator with the Kahler. (Which I like. Many don't.)
                    Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-20-2020, 11:29 PM. Reason: T-30, not T-27

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                      I did the same thing. I think its been turned on for maybe 10 - 15 minutes the decade or so that I've owned it. 100 watt tube amps don't make good bedroom amps.

I had a nice Peavey "Mach" bass amp, but I traded it to my luthier friend for something. I've also got a nice Peavey mixer and the Dual DeltaFex that are ok. But mostly, I love my USA made Peavey guitars. I think they're every bit as good as their Fender or Gibson counterparts. I think I have 3 Patriots now, and a T-27. And my favorite, the older dual-humbucker Predator with the Kahler. (Which I like. Many don't.)
                      Lol...I biased mine when I got it and haven’t played it since. Lol
                      In all fairness, I did get divorced recently and moved so I haven’t really played any amp lately.

Comment

There will be Bandits still gigging after the zombie apocalypse
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I just inherited this little Beasty...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200210_151809374~2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	5818282

My first amp was a Peavey.
                          My favorite Peavey is the 6505+...it rips!
                          I've owned an XXL, and a few practice sized combos, I like them all.
                          Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            There will be Bandits still gigging after the zombie apocalypse
                            You reminded me that I also have the Transtube Supreme 100 watt amp. I've heard that it's similar, or almost the exact thing as the Bandit. Not sure about that though. I also remembered that I have the MP4 Plus mixer/amp and some oddball level converter that has four nice audio transformers in it. And, of course, my good ole Rockmaster with the Perpetual Burn. I imagine, if I keep looking around here, other Peavey stuff would pop up.
                            Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-22-2020, 10:46 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I liked a lot of Peavey combos like the Bandit. But for every good one like that, they filled every non-chain music store with 15 watt amps with 6" speakers that didn't sound good. That is where the bad rep comes from. There was a time where every guitarists started with a small SS Peavey. And Peavey was during a time where SS amps sounded pretty bad. The line is blurring now, though, so if they had newer tech in those small amps now, they might sound fine.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                                I liked a lot of Peavey combos like the Bandit. But for every good one like that, they filled every non-chain music store with 15 watt amps with 6" speakers that didn't sound good. That is where the bad rep comes from. There was a time where every guitarists started with a small SS Peavey. And Peavey was during a time where SS amps sounded pretty bad. The line is blurring now, though, so if they had newer tech in those small amps now, they might sound fine.
                                I'm a big proponent of putting a 10 or 12 in every guitar amp regardless of power. Those 6 inch speakers are really the things that make these amps suck. I used to run my 10 watt Ibanez through a 2x12 and that thing sounded almost as good as my old Classic 30 through the same cab.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                                -Greg

Guitars:
                                2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
                                2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
                                2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
                                Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Working...
                                X