Peavey Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Peavey Amps

Here's a Bandit for sale locally to me. I don't need another amp but if I was after one, I'd snag this.

Reverb is a marketplace bringing together a wide-spanning community to buy, sell, and discuss all things music gear.

Comment

It's 100w with an extension cab,,,,,,85w without,,,,,,,not like it makes any difference though.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
        Dave,, sad that you felt you had to "camouflage" your gear. stupid to judge a musician with your eyes.
        In fairness, I had already changed out the speakers and it wasn't a Peavy head so a little camo wasn't a big deal. But yeah, I had been playing out for a few years and gone through 4 amps by then. Two were Peavey and I never considered disguising them.

The company could have benefitted by creating different name for their high- and low-end gear like Fender and Squire or Chevrolet and Cadillac.

Around that same time I saw Alice in Chains live. My date and I agreed that the Screaming Trees guitarist had the best guitar sound of the three bands. He was playing a slant face Peavey Butcher half stack.

I has no idea they were from the South until I saw the Undercover Boss a couple years ago.

Comment

It is currently retired, but I played through a Peavey Prowler for many years. 45 Watt 1x12 combo. It is a very good tube amp.
          I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

I see Peavey 5150s and 6505+s all the time at shows, festivals and studios. Granted these are mostly metal specific genre events, but Peavey always comes up in high gain amp conversations I have with people.

Comment

I love Peavey stuff! It's unfortunate that they grief at times and get hailed as budget, low-end stuff when that's not the whole story by a long shot. Most of them, from my experience, are built to continue going forever and they're so cheap versus what you get. I have a Bravo combo that I yanked the stock speaker out of (which was fine, prefer the celestion however), a 5150, Ultra 120 (that I've had since 96), Ultra Plus, VTM 60, Vypyr VIP 3 and had a 5150 II (traded). As much as I know I need to get rid of a few, I can't bring myself to do it, not for the price they go for and how crazy good they all sound.

I have a BE-100 Deluxe and have compared it directly to the Ultra Plus and it is by no means a difference in sound of $3550. They're different but can be made to sound a lot more similar than I expected. The Ultra sounds so, so good. And I've compared my JCM800 (2204, so it's 50-watts) against the VTM 60, since people mention the two together, and that's not an $850 difference either. The Peavey has a lot more range whereas the JCM just has that thing it does with all the clarity and crunch. Both are great. I nearly traded my JCM a few times, so glad I didn't actually do it.

If I only had the Peavey's, I know now that I really could be happy forever with them, they're so well worth the nutty cheap prices they go for.

Comment

I have a Classic 30 and JSX and my brother has an original block letter 5150. All are amazing and that is all James Brown. I think when it comes to amps, it’s more about the guy who designed it rather than the company.

Comment

The Classic 30 has lasted a really long time. Even stock, it is a pretty good gigging amp.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Classic 30 is an epically good amp.

I wish I had my Classic ~79 with Tremolo and Reverb. It would be an awesome Blues amp.

I HATED my 20 watt backstage. I really needed a DS-1 with that...man that amp sucked! A DS-1 into clean would have been an improvement.

Since then...nothing but love for the Transtubes.

Wish I had a 5150!!!!
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

to my understanding the Peavey Renown was the best of the pre Classic series

uncommonly heavy

but a tone monster
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I always wanted one of those little Classic 20 heads. They look cool on paper. Never actually heard one though, except YT vids.

Comment

I think Peavey has been building the Classic Series in some form since 1993. It would surprise me if Peavey did not get that same basic circuit into the C20 MH and I expect it has all those Classic tones. I have the VK II 20 MH (same feature set) and the bells and whistles perform as advertised. I never picked up a C20 MH as I still have my C50, C30 and C20 combos.

Find one used and if you are not satisfied with it, I think you should be able to break even selling it.
                          I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Original 5150 and Blues Classic with 15" speaker are my two favorite Peavey Amps. Not much on their guitars with the exception of the Vandenberg but I do LOVE my 5150 2x12 Combo (recently equipped with Eminence Texas Heat & Swamp Thang speakers) and always am greatly tempted on the rare occasion when I see a Blues Classic for sale.
                            MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
                            1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
                            1988 Kramer Nightswan
                            1989 Charvel Sambora
                            2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
                            Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
                            Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

The Classic Series are awesome amps. Talk about workhorses. I knew a guy in CA that had a C30 and gigged 6 nights a week with it. It got tossed around and definitely was worn. He had it serviced like it was his car, very regularly, and it always sounded great.

I don't remember the weight of the Bandits but if the Transtube series aren't too bad, I'd snag one of those at the right price. The old Bandit 75 and original 5150 head I had were boat anchors.

Comment

That is one of the dangers. Love my JSX 212, but it weighs in at 85.3 pounds. Current Bandits are 24.5 pounds.
                                I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Working...
                                X