Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey 6505

Hey everyone!

About half a year ago I finally got myself a Peavey 6505. I had a 6505MH before that (still have that one as well) and I was super impressed with the tones I got from that little guy that I had to also get one of the 120w heads. I checked out some comparisons between the 6505 and 6505+ and I felt that the 6505 sounded a little bit closer to what I want tonally. The 6505+ sounded a little tighter but I like the bigness of the low-mids that the regular 6505 has to offer. Plus, I will only be using it in the studio so I don't really need the extra channel eq etc. Has anyone compared the 2 or the old 5150's/5150II's?

The clean tones on the 6505 aren't special but I don't think they're bad. Just as with the gain tones, the clean tones have a lot of mids so they don't easily sound very gentle, rather honkey but not in a bad way. When you push the gain on the rhythm channel with the crunch button out you can get some really nice Marshally crunch tones as can be heard in the demo. With the crunch button pressed in the sound obviously gets more saturated and rich. The sound of the driven rhythm channel is a bit more loose and 'fluffy' when compared to the lead channel. I do always prefer the rhythm channel with the bright switch on.

The lead channel is where the money is at. One of the things that I like so much about this amp are the ever prominent mids. This really helps the amp stick out of the mix at all times. Never do you really lose midrange presence unless you really go crazy with scooping the mids (which I don't recommend tbh). The amp sounds good with and without a boost pedal, just a matter of taste really.

So here is a demo of the amp with 18 guitars, from Fenders to 7/8-string metal guitars and everything in between.

One final note: there seems to always be a discussion about whether the 6505 is the same as the old 5150. As far as I know they are basically the same amps but the original block-letter 5150's came with different tubes. That's supposed to be one of the reasons why people think the old one sounds different... What do you think? Has anyone ever compared an OG block-letter to a 6505?
    Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Re: Peavey 6505

The metal tones are stellar! Would you say the 6505MH is more akin to the OG 6505 than to the + version?

Originally posted by Guitarjon View Post
    One final note: there seems to always be a discussion about whether the 6505 is the same as the old 5150. As far as I know they are basically the same amps but the original block-letter 5150's came with different tubes. That's supposed to be one of the reasons why people think the old one sounds different... What do you think? Has anyone ever compared an OG block-letter to a 6505?
    I remember reading somewhere that Andy Sneap actually prefers his 6505 to his 5150, and he owns the actual 5150 that was used to record Carcass albums in the 90's. It's supposedly the exact same circuit, but there's always variations in components.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
      The metal tones are stellar! Would you say the 6505MH is more akin to the OG 6505 than to the + version?

I remember reading somewhere that Andy Sneap actually prefers his 6505 to his 5150 and he has the 5150 that was used to record Carcass albums in the 90's. It's supposedly the exact same circuit, but there's always variations in components.
      Very interesting, thanks for sharing that!

I haven't tried the 6505+ myself but I can tell you that the MH sounds very similar to the 6505. Obviously there are some slight differences, especially when pushed but it does sound really good imho! I'm currently working on a CRAAZZZYY video with all 26 of my amps in 4 styles (clean, crunch, rock and metal) and in that video you'll be able to A/B them all pretty easily. I think you'll like what you hear with the MH

OwnHammer.com

Comment

One final note: there seems to always be a discussion about whether the 6505 is the same as the old 5150. As far as I know they are basically the same amps but the original block-letter 5150's came with different tubes. That's supposed to be one of the reasons why people think the old one sounds different... What do you think?
        That's my understanding as well. Same amps, but early 5150s had better tubes.
        Originally posted by Frankly
        PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
        Originally posted by Diocletian
        Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Comment

Originally posted by PoorMan View Post
          That's my understanding as well. Same amps, but early 5150s had better tubes.
          I was also told that at one point one of the transformers was swapped and something about a ribbon cable. I doubt it doesn't matter much for the tone...

OwnHammer.com

Comment

I was also told that at one point one of the transformers was swapped and something about a ribbon cable. I doubt it doesn't matter much for the tone...
            Well, if it's the output transformer, there could be a difference. I've never heard of the trannies being changed, though. All I hear is the tubes. Those old ones came with Sylvania 6L6's and probably Chinese 8th Gen pres.

6505's are being made in China nowadays, though. That may make a difference as well.
            Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-21-2020, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Hey everyone!

About half a year ago I finally got myself a Peavey 6505. I had a 6505MH before that (still have that one as well) and I was super impressed with the tones I got from that little guy that I had to also get one of the 120w heads. I checked out some comparisons between the 6505 and 6505+ and I felt that the 6505 sounded a little bit closer to what I want tonally. The 6505+ sounded a little tighter but I like the bigness of the low-mids that the regular 6505 has to offer. Plus, I will only be using it in the studio so I don't really need the extra channel eq etc. Has anyone compared the 2 or the old 5150's/5150II's?

The clean tones on the 6505 aren't special but I don't think they're bad. Just as with the gain tones, the clean tones have a lot of mids so they don't easily sound very gentle, rather honkey but not in a bad way. When you push the gain on the rhythm channel with the crunch button out you can get some really nice Marshally crunch tones as can be heard in the demo. With the crunch button pressed in the sound obviously gets more saturated and rich. The sound of the driven rhythm channel is a bit more loose and 'fluffy' when compared to the lead channel. I do always prefer the rhythm channel with the bright switch on.

The lead channel is where the money is at. One of the things that I like so much about this amp are the ever prominent mids. This really helps the amp stick out of the mix at all times. Never do you really lose midrange presence unless you really go crazy with scooping the mids (which I don't recommend tbh). The amp sounds good with and without a boost pedal, just a matter of taste really.

So here is a demo of the amp with 18 guitars, from Fenders to 7/8-string metal guitars and everything in between.

nice demo

Comment

Working...
              X