Seth Lover compared to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seth Lover compared to?

I've got two prs se' s with Seth Lover pickups I replaced the stock prs with.
    Looking at either a set of Pearly Gates or 59's in another prs se.
    This one is a single cut l.p. style guitar (se 245).
    Wanting something just barely hotter than the seth' s.
    Anyone with experience with all 3 pickup sets?
    Recommendations?
    All my humbucker guitars are alnico 2 magnet pickups.
    The 59's are 5's (?)...
    Thoughts?

Re: Seth Lover compared to?

The '59s are more acoustic sounding (they have good highs and a fair amount of bass) and I like 'em better for very clean playing and with effects. The Seth lovers are middier/honkier and sound better with overdrive. The '59s are very slightly louder pickups.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

the pgs are slightly more aggressive than the seths, 59's have a more scooped tone. either set would be fine. personally i love a2 so id go pg but if you wanted a different flavor the 59 or even whole lotta humbucker set would be cool

Comment

Thanks for input. The Seth's are pretty clean (it seems) at least with fender blackface style amps, but do sound good overdriven.

Comment

PGs!

B
          FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

I would say the closest thing to the Seths are Alnico II Pros, but they aren't on your list.

Comment

I we looking for something a little more aggressive than the Seth's.

Comment

PGs are decidedly more aggressive than the 59s IMO.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

For something a little hotter than the Seths, you might also look at the Whole Lotta Humbuckers, too.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

“Like the Seths but hotter” would be the Pearly Gates set IMHO. Honestly, the Custom Shop version that is unpotted would be ideal for that.

Comment

The PG set, to me is just a differently EQ'd version of the Seths...hotter in the treble frequencies. I think a big part of the Seth's appeal is the unpotted-ness. If you were going to contact the Custom Shop, jut tell them 'Like the Seths, but slightly hotter', and they will build just exactly that.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Nearest stock thing to slightly hotter Seth’s would be Alinico 2 Pros. Next hotter from that would be a Brobucker bridge and A2P neck or maybe Slash set. Next hotter would be Custom Custom bridge with maybe an A2P neck or 78 model neck.

Pearlys and 59s don’t sound like Seths. Different character.

The best option would be custom shop Seth’s and tell them to give them a little more heat while keeping the same character.

Comment

Double thick alnico magnets kill in bridge humbuckers. Especially in vintage output because you retain the benefits of a vintage wind but it increases the output and makes it fuller and deeper.
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

To me A2P's sound kinda bland... Don't kill me, it's just my opinion. And that may not be that bad depending on the application/guitar/amp... . Whereas Seths have this nice open 3d thing to it that PG's also lack a bit. But then again PG's don't sound bland I think, and have a bit more dimension than them A2P's.

Why not check ANT HBs? Great PAF clones! And if you swap their stock degaussed mag with a new shiny a2s, you'd have buckers that kill... And ANT's are a bit hotter than Seths.

B
                            FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

59s with stock magnets sound a lot different than Seths, so I would rule them out completely unless you're into magnet swapping. With A2 magnets they do sound quite a lot like Seths, with the main difference probably being the wax potting.

Comment

Working...
                              X